Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As far as I saw nobody asked them in media if something was said but I assume it was
I mean Nelson was going at him before Guentzel even turned back to face him so unless it happened some time between the Martinook goal and then, if not earlier, it's a stretch to see it as anything other than the Isles simply coming unhinged.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I mean Nelson was going at him before Guentzel even turned back to face him so unless it happened some time between the Martinook goal and then, if not earlier, it's a stretch to see it as anything other than the Isles simply coming unhinged.
Very uncharacteristic for Nelson to do that. Especially to Guentzel who by all accounts is a friend (they play on the same team in the summer league). Not making excuses for him - I said multiple times it was dumb and embarrassing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Very uncharacteristic for Nelson to do that. Especially to Guentzel who by all accounts is a friend (they play on the same team in the summer league). Not making excuses for him - I said multiple times it was dumb and embarrassing.
No argument there, Nelson was someone I was hoping the Canes would go after at the deadline if he became available. Usually love his game so seeing him go off like that was weird to me.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's probably not a stretch to say Nelson has a strong dislike for the Canes. This is going back to 2019, but when the Canes swept the Isles in the 2nd round I think it was, there was that weirdness where he patted Curtis McElhinney on the helmet after the Isles scored a goal for some bizarre reason. Canes obviously did not appreciate this bizarre behavior and in the handshake line, Dougie Hamilton returned the favour by patting Brock on the head.

Combine this with losing to Carolina last year, then being down 2-0 this year, having him randomly erupt after the ENG yesterday to cap off that meltdown isn't unexplainable.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's probably not a stretch to say Nelson has a strong dislike for the Canes. This is going back to 2019, but when the Canes swept the Isles in the 2nd round I think it was, there was that weirdness where he patted Curtis McElhinney on the helmet after the Isles scored a goal for some bizarre reason. Canes obviously did not appreciate this bizarre behavior and in the handshake line, Dougie Hamilton returned the favour by patting Brock on the head.

Combine this with losing to Carolina last year, then being down 2-0 this year, having him randomly erupt after the ENG yesterday to cap off that meltdown isn't unexplainable.
Didn't Nelson and McElhinney supposedly know each other from years prior in a juniors or NCAA league? I recall there was a story behind that

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maybe it had something to do with the stick inside the goalie's mask earlier in the game
Definitely possible. That was Guentzel I think but it seemed like a weird flukey type thing where the stick got caught while Varlamov was down in the butterfly. Not something intentional and also the Isles didn't seem to take issue with it at the time so it would be odd have retribution for that at the end of the game, but it's a possibility. Don't even think Jake was looking at Varly when that happened but obviously you don't like seeing your goalie's mask get ripped off even if it is by fluke accident. Maybe Jake did it accidently on purpose but would have to take another look.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Didn't Nelson and McElhinney supposedly know each other from years prior in a juniors or NCAA league? I recall there was a story behind that
You'd have to find a source on that. I've never seen anything about that but could be wrong.

Brock's response when asked about it was that 'he was just trying not to run into the goalie'. So unless there's some very deep inside joke that no one else seemed to know about then goes in the 'Brock Nelson doing weird unhinged behavior' Column.

All google search results I can find about the incident label it as 'Nelson Trolling' or 'Nelson Clowns the Goalie' without other explanation.

McElhinney is also 8 years older than Brock Nelson and was in the NHL by 2006-2007 so I don't see how that age gap and timeline would have worked at all.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Definitely possible. That was Guentzel I think but it seemed like a weird flukey type thing where the stick got caught while Varlamov was down in the butterfly. Not something intentional and also the Isles didn't seem to take issue with it at the time so it would be odd have retribution for that at the end of the game, but it's a possibility. Don't even think Jake was looking at Varly when that happened but obviously you don't like seeing your goalie's mask get ripped off even if it is by fluke accident. Maybe Jake did it accidently on purpose but
I'm sure it was accidental. I think Jake was mad that Palmieri kept slashing at him on the empty netter. I have to look again too. I think Jake took a half hearted shove at Palms. Guys like Nelson always are 2nd and 3rd in. Hiding behind the scrum

Might also have something to do with all the goals Jake scored in Pitt over the years in playoffs vs NYI

More than likely just sore loser frustration

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm sure it was accidental. I think Jake was mad that Palmieri kept slashing at him on the empty netter. I have to look again too. I think Jake took a half hearted shove at Palms. Guys like Nelson always are 2nd and 3rd in. Hiding behind the scrum

Might also have something to do with all the goals Jake scored in Pitt over the years in playoffs vs NYI

More than likely just sore loser frustration
Nelson was the one constantly slashing. Palmieri was the 2nd guy in after the fact.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You know what's really soft? Harassing, doxxing, and sending death threats to the people running a social media account because that account did this:

Team had to scrub their site of any mention of who was running the accounts to protect them and their families due to the harassment they were getting.

And no, the person was not fired

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Re: the twitter stuff posted above. Every fan base, including our own, is going to have a couple of scumbags. It only reflects on those individuals and not the NYI fanbase as a whole.

Larger fan bases have more scumbags because they have a larger fan base.

On top of that, the Canes social media account tries to be edgy to get reactions. When you do that, you are going to get reactions and some of them aren't going to be the reactions you want. It's the way social media goes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Re: the twitter stuff posted above. Every fan base, including our own, is going to have a couple of scumbags. It only reflects on those individuals and not the NYI fanbase as a whole.

On top of that, the Canes social media account tries to be edgy to get reactions. When you do that, you are going to get reactions and some of them aren't going to be the reactions you want. It's the way social media goes.
I dunno, yeah every fanbase has creeps, but digging for personal contact information and then personally telling someone you're going to skin them alive the day after a game because they hurt your feelings is inexcusable.

Only a matter of time before they start SWATting them, which will lead so someone being killed. It deserves to be called out, deserves to be brought to light and deserves to be stamped down. There's no place in society for this kind of crap.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I dunno, yeah every fanbase has creeps, but digging for personal contact information and then personally telling someone you're going to skin them alive the day after a game because they hurt your feelings is inexcusable.
I didn't say it was excusable. I said it doesn't reflect on the entire fan base and secondly, when you push the envelope and tweet to get reactions, you sometimes get the scum bag reactions as well.
Only a matter of time before they start SWATting them, which will lead so someone being killed. It deserves to be called out, deserves to be brought to light and deserves to be stamped down. There's no place in society for this kind of crap.
Again, it's a reflection on the in individuals who did it, so it's perfectly fine to call them out, but you specifically said: "And this isn't the first time the Isles base has gone after people connected to the Canes"

You are calling out an entire fan base for the actions of a few scum bags within that fan base. That's the point I'm trying to make.

EDIT: and when I was on twitter, I distinctly remember some Canes twitter folks doxxing some other fan bases. I also remember a Canes fan creep that was stalking one of the young female canes twitter fans. All fan bases have scum bags .

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
And before anyone asks, yes this is what happened, as explained by our head of PR

And this isn't the first time the Isles base has gone after people connected to the Canes

This is simply lack of knowledge within the organization evidently. This has gone on for years with Mets/Yankees/Knicks/Isles/Rangers and pretty much any Philly team fans. I would always be wary of starting in with those fanbases because it never ends well. Its one thing to do it on a small level but I knew the other night something of this magnitude was going to probably end up happening.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Twitter is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad