Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.2%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 20.2%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 29.3%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 263 17.3%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.5%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 191 12.6%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 161 10.6%

• Total voters

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Being propped by loser points because refs always give "timely PPs" to bruins isn't defined as "good this year"

If the refs called the game by the book and din't give bruins timely PPs boston would be a WC team or probably don't even make playoffs

View attachment 855594
Already complaining about the refs, typical.

How can bruins fans act like their team has no pressure despite choking in the first round to the 8th seed and blowing not only series leads but leads in game 7 as well. Yeah they won over a decade ago, but theyve had plenty of choke jobs since then. Leafs aren't the only ones with pressure to prove something.
Because none of us expected us to be where we are today. Many speculated we’d struggle to even make the playoffs this season.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How can bruins fans act like their team has no pressure despite choking in the first round to the 8th seed and blowing not only series leads but leads in game 7 as well. Yeah they won over a decade ago, but theyve had plenty of choke jobs since then. Leafs aren't the only ones with pressure to prove something.
Sure there is pressure, but this team is built out of spare parts after going all in last year. Their #1 center was a throwaway from the Devils, their 1 left wing didn't have a contract offer from anyone til October. Geekie and Bovquist were both released by their clubs last year. It'd be great to win a few rounds but really this regular season surpassed all expectations.

Speaking about expectations - this was where we were at the start of the season

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Fans saying there is no pressure on their teams like 95% of the time is emotional hedging. It is the playoffs, the Bruins have been a good team all season long despite what people thought before the season started and the core of that team choked away a historic season last year. There is quite clearly pressure on both teams....as there usually is when two closely matched up teams go at it. This isn't a Rangers-Capitals matchup lmao.

Reactions: Arizonan God

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
I predict there is going to be epic amount of complaining about reffing in this series. No tin foil hats, no conspiracies.

Just play hockey, watch and enjoy the ride.

For some it started two days before puck-drop :help:

Atleast the fans coping mechanisms are finely tuned.

I'm looking for the totally not over-reactions after game 1

Let's go! :cf:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Bruins by way of goaltending

The Leafs center bundle the Bruins centers, it's gonna be a close series because of the complete mismatches in net and center ice spot. If Samsonov can give the Leafs anything, they'll win this series. I don't see Zacha and Coyle coming close to Matthews/JT. If they do, then the Bruins will curb stomp the Leafs

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Many of us had our reservations about keeping DJ on and starting the season with him as skipper. Honestly after the first few weeks we were all screaming for his head. Enter Martin as his replacement and same old, same old.

I think it's a combination of poor goaltending, coaching and player unity. A few primadonnas that are passengers on that team, collecting paychecks. This team is a circus show TBH.

The last playoff game I went to I was sitting 5 rows behind Tuka Rask. Tuka was playing. That's how long it's been. We beat Boston and ended their season. 😁
I thought DJ was a bad move after how he was with Toronto. I would say if Ottawa gets a reliable goalie they should be fine. Talbot and Korpi are past their prime.

losing Norris for 30 and Pinto for half the season didnt help either lol

I hope we can have that in common soon. in like 20 years ive seen the Leafs eliminate Ottawa and Tampa in the 1st round lol thats its

• Haha
Reactions: Race Dawg

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Being propped by loser points because refs always give "timely PPs" to bruins isn't defined as "good this year"

If the refs called the game by the book and din't give bruins timely PPs boston would be a WC team or probably don't even make playoffs

View attachment 855594
The bruins were more penalized than the leafs this year. Try again

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Because the bruins weren’t supposed to be here this year. They’re in the start of a rebuild, and still managed a 100+ point season.

Reactions: Goom 35

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Leafs center bundle the Bruins centers, it's gonna be a close series because of the complete mismatches in net and center ice spot. If Samsonov can give the Leafs anything, they'll win this series. I don't see Zacha and Coyle coming close to Matthews/JT. If they do, then the Bruins will curb stomp the Leafs

Zacha and Coyle were as good as JT this season. Obviously Matthews is in a different stratosphere.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I predict there is going to be epic amount of complaining about reffing in this series. No tin foil hats, no conspiracies.

Just play hockey, watch and enjoy the ride.

and the drinking game will be every time Canadian announcers talk about how many cups the leaf's have won...you gotta slam a Molson. Fun on line argument from a leaf fan saying that the Habs won just as many cups as the leafs did when there were only 6 clubs. That is correct. Habs when went on to win TEN more after expansion.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Because the bruins weren’t supposed to be here this year. They’re in the start of a rebuild, and still managed a 100+ point season.
Do you honestly believe this lmao?

What rebuilding team doesnt trade away current roster players for assets, signs the likes of jvr, shattenkirk etc in the summer, doesnt move ullmark, dont have their 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

Theres no way you seriously believe they were "rebuilding" this year.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Boston’s strength defensively in the net and keeping things fairly clean defensively could make it frustrating for Toronto’s high end guys, who are under a lot of pressure. Toronto might need a couple of non stars to step up.

Toronto’s high end guys are very skilled and could win the series if they’re feeling it. But other than that, most scenarios seem to favor Boston who is strong defensively and have veterans as multiple scoring sources.

It’s a compelling series.

I’d like to see Toronto win game one and put pressure on Boston. It would make for a better series than the other way around.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I guess I am cynical but I don't see what's changed on the leafs to actually get passed the bruins. We will see.

I don’t disagree that Boston is the favourite. I think they win. But there are literally 5 players that are the same since the they played each other jn the playoffs.

80% of the roster. 100% of the coaches and the gm changed for the leafs.

So a lot has changed.

Reactions: wintersej

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That loss to Florida exposed a lot of flaws that haven’t been rectified.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

View attachment 855594

You have this all so completely ass backwards I’m not sure it’s worth responding.

Only the Canucks went into the third with the lead more often than Boston.

No playoff team has a worse penalty differential than the Bruins and the Bruins have the 4th most PK minutes when holding a lead. It’s the Bruins opponents that are getting the timely PPs.

In fact, the Bruins have the least amount of PP time when trailing in the entire NHL. They could use some more timely PPs, that’s for sure.

Only the Habs were a worse team when the other teams pulls their goalie.

The Bruins had a tough time extending leads in the third. They go on the PK a lot when leading. And they suck at defending a 6 on 5.

Like the narrative you were trying to paint couldn’t be more wrong its funny.

Reactions: bearcountry17

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Good morning.
EB59C7AE-C506-4728-8ACB-6305CF5FCC39.gif

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fans saying there is no pressure on their teams like 95% of the time is emotional hedging. It is the playoffs, the Bruins have been a good team all season long despite what people thought before the season started and the core of that team choked away a historic season last year. There is quite clearly pressure on both teams....as there usually is when two closely matched up teams go at it. This isn't a Rangers-Capitals matchup lmao.

The players are gonna feel what the players are going to feel. The Bruins fandom viewed this as a retool year after an all in year. Yes the Bruins surpassed expectations by getting 109 points. We are as surprised as anyone that the Bruins have had a season that would be the 3rd best of all time in Toronto in a retool year. But, the fans base also knows it’s a flawed team that isn’t really going anywhere. Of course there is expectation management going on.

Reactions: rfournier103

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Boston plays a style of hockey that the Leafs typically have difficulty with. A patient game with a strong system and strong D and goaltending. They keep things tight and pounce on other teams defensive mistakes.
I think the Leafs would match up better against a more offensive team where they can exchange chances.
The key to the series imo is whether Toronto’s star forwards can fight through the blanket that Boston will throw on them defensively or will they get frustrated as in previous years. It’s actually a fascinating match up given the completely different styles of the 2 teams.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do you honestly believe this lmao?

What rebuilding team doesnt trade away current roster players for assets, signs the likes of jvr, shattenkirk etc in the summer, doesnt move ullmark, dont have their 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

Theres no way you seriously believe they were "rebuilding" this year.

What contending team loses their two top centres in the same off-season for good?

Weren’t you here before the season started?

The majority of people did not think much of Boston’s chances without Bergeron and Krejci.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Seems like a lot of mental gymnastics going on with Bruins fans to try and act like you are somehow the underdog in this matchup when in reality it is two very even teams going into what will probably be a long tough series. There is pressure on both teams, lets not be dumb here.

Because this year was always going to be a re-tool/rebuild, we've added a lot of youth with a bunch of plugs. Literally no Bruins fan expected to make the playoffs. Ask any real Bruins fans and there's zero pressure to make any sort of run. This was the sentiment pre season, mid season and at the end of season. We're more excited about the development of our young players above unrealistic playoff success. Next year they have 21.5M in cap space and they'll be able to add a quality center to make a real push.

Reactions: PaulD

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What contending team loses their two top centres in the same off-season for good?

Weren’t you here before the season started?

The majority of people did not think much of Boston’s chances without Bergeron and Krejci.
Theres a massive difference between "rebuild" and taking a step back. I think everyone knew Boston would take a step back, I don't think anyone would think they would finish well out of the playoffs and in the basement like a "rebuilding" team. OP called them a re-building team. They are not anywhere close to a re-building team in my definition.

They had all the intentions of trying to compete coming into this year.

Were you here before the season started?

Looks to me like majority of people putting Boston top 3 in the division/making the playoffs still.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad