Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Sorry I should have said "the past 5 seasons including this one" instead of "the last 5 years" Congrats on catching a technicality.

I'm not talking about this series, I'm talking about overall. One team has a (deserved) reputation of being massive playoff chokers. One team has a reputation of being elite playoff performers. The elite playoff performers have won a total of 2 more games past the first round than the playoff chokers in "the past 5 seasons including this one" despite being the NHLs single best regular season team during that stretch. We'll see if they can add to that total this year after they (presumably) finish off this series.

Bro. What is the number 2024 - 5? It's not a trick question. And no, you shouldn't have said "the past 5 seasons including this one," instead you should not have actively tried to mislead people with cherry picked time windows.

If you're talking about overall, you're in the wrong thread, this thread is about this particular Leafs / Bruins series.

If you choose to continue this conversation, good luck trying to convince everyone that the Bruins and the Leafs are actually equally good in the playoffs. You will surely need it (unless Leafs have miracle comeback, we'll see what happens over the next week if needed)

Reactions: stampedingviking

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Bro. What is the number 2024 - 5? It's not a trick question. And no, you shouldn't have said "the past 5 seasons including this one," instead you should not have actively tried to mislead people.

If you're talking about overall, you're in the wrong thread, this thread is about this particular series.

If you choose to continue this conversation, good luck trying to convince everyone that the Bruins and the Leafs are actually equally good in the playoffs. You will surely need it
When talking about the NHL I will often say "past 5 years" when I mean "past 5 seasons" and not literally 5 years from today. That's not intentionally trying to mislead people, that's using shorthand when speaking

In regards to the bolded, I've never once claimed that so perhaps you should take your own advice about not actively trying to mislead people.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Sickly Matthews. Crying Marner.

It's basically Nylander's moment. He certainly has all the ability. Give him 23 mins and let'r rip.

Reactions: Barnum

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Bro. What is the number 2024 - 5? It's not a trick question. And no, you shouldn't have said "the past 5 seasons including this one," instead you should not have actively tried to mislead people with cherry picked time windows.

If you're talking about overall, you're in the wrong thread, this thread is about this particular Leafs / Bruins series.

If you choose to continue this conversation, good luck trying to convince everyone that the Bruins and the Leafs are actually equally good in the playoffs. You will surely need it (unless Leafs have miracle comeback, we'll see what happens over the next week if needed)

We're in the 2024 playoffs

That's six seasons. Just think about it. :laugh:

Reactions: Mantis

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The leafs have the skill to come back, if the B’s take them lightly it could get messy for them. If it goes to 6 it’s going to 7, that’s just leafs vs bruins hockey law.
I'm deeply skeptical the Leafs can win a road game tonight, especially without Matthews. That said, I did vote for Bruins in 6 so it'd be cool if they could give me a chance to be right :laugh:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry I should have said "the past 5 seasons including this one" instead of "the last 5 years" Congrats on catching a technicality.

I'm not talking about this series, I'm talking about overall. One team has a (deserved) reputation of being massive playoff chokers. One team has a reputation of being elite playoff performers. The elite playoff performers have won a total of 2 more games past the first round than the playoff chokers in "the past 5 seasons including this one" despite being the NHLs single best regular season team during that stretch. We'll see if they can add to that total this year after they (presumably) finish off this series.
Not sure why you included this season since neither team has even completed the first round, unless you just want to avoid talking about 2019..

Now do the past 55 years. I'll wait..

gifs-do-michael-jackson-comendo-pipoca-2-3675607583.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: PainForShane

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

So you conveniently leave out the 18-19 season where they went to the finals?:laugh:

In the previous 5 years, excluding this one, The Bruins have won 5 series (32 games). In that time The Leafs have won 1 series and 16 games. They are not the same.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So you conveniently leave out the 18-19 season where they went to the finals?:laugh:

In the previous 5 years, excluding this one, The Bruins have won 5 series (32 games). In that time The Leafs have won 1 series and 16 games. They are not the same.
1.) The original point was about the past Chara Bruins, so yes I did exclude the finals run.

2.) I've never once claimed they're the same or the Leafs have had (or deserved) a similar reputation.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I may have to head over to the Leafs board and catch myself a ban in his honor. We'll see.

There's also a part of me that wants to hug them and tell them it'll be ok.
You clearly have no experience with Leafs fans if you think we'll believe you saying it'll be ok :laugh:

We've been at this too long to ever believe it'll be ok.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bobby Baun in playoffs, broken bone above his ankle/lower leg.
Erik Karlsson in 2017, multiple broken bones in ankle, then had cadaver parts inserted in off season.
Athletic article in which Patrice Bergeron talks about playing in 2013 finals with a broken rib, separated shoulder, and torn rib cartilage (and it turns out - a small hole in his lung). Part of the reason why he played? He asked himself how a 41 YO Mark Recchi played a 2nd round playoff game in 2009 while suffering from kidney stones!!!

Not sure either was very wise to do that, but for some the Stanley Cup is everything. That kind of leadership - or lack thereof in some cases — sets a bar for other players.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I may have to head over to the Leafs board and catch myself a ban in his honor. We'll see.

There's also a part of me that wants to hug them and tell them it'll be ok.
Chirping here is fair game, but going to over to another team's board is some major douche behaviour

Reactions: PainForShane

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Athletic article in which Patrice Bergeron talks about playing in 2013 finals with a broken rib, separated shoulder, and torn rib cartilage (and it turns out - a small hole in his lung). Part of the reason why he played? He asked himself how a 41 YO Mark Recchi played a 2nd round playoff game in 2009 while suffering from kidney stones!!!

Not sure either was very wise to do that, but for some the Stanley Cup is everything. That kind of leadership - or lack thereof in some cases — sets a bar for other players.
Billy Smith played Stanley Cup playoff games with a beer belly and a hangover.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
1.) The original point was about the past Chara Bruins, so yes I did exclude the finals run.

2.) I've never once claimed they're the same or the Leafs have had (or deserved) a similar reputation.
"The elite playoff performers have won a total of 2 more games past the first round than the playoff chokers in "the past 5 seasons including this one" despite being the NHLs single best regular season team during that stretch."

Seems like a pretty direct comparison to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad