Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Marner has to agree to where he goes, right? I don’t think the Leafs have much choice in the matter unless Marner wants to go somewhere…of his own choosing. It’s a 10.9 mill cap hit too. Good luck trading that guy.
That's probably why has not happened already. Though you never know the cap is suppose to rise few million next year. Though, yes he would have to be willing which is probably not happening.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Last edited:

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
There is a discrepancy in how the Leafs as an organization has dealt with potential performance vs actual performance and rewarding accordingly.

One of the many things that have not endeared me to Nylander is the hijinks he did several years ago, refusing to play until he was paid what he thought he was worth. Dumb Dubas and organization capitulated to Nylander's demands. Then last year, it's kind of funny, when Dubas wasn't giving Shanahan a straight answer on his own contract negotiations and instead Shanahan finds out Dubas wants more responsibility and as a result a pay bump, Shanahan refused to play that game and told Dubas no thanks (this was probably the only thing Shanahan did that was sensible) - but they should have done the same for Nylander. Don't let these guys dictate the terms before they are able to demonstrate their value via performance. But until the Leafs get management that recognize actual value and won't let guys like Hyman go, they will be in this ever-present spiral of being saddled with these overpriced contracts, which inhibit them to make substantive changes to improve the product.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
That's probably why has not happened already. Though you never know the cap is suppose to rise few million next year.
He has a full NTC. So, that’s a lot of convincing and conniving for a GM to pull off on other GMs. I’d say Marner’s stock is about as low as it can go and for 10.9 mill the Leafs are going to have to eat on alot of that contract for another GM to bite. Than you still have the problem of Marner agreeing to the trade. I’d say the Leafs are stuck with him for his last year of the contract.

Stranger things have happened though….

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He has a full NTC. So, that’s a lot of convincing and conniving for a GM to pull off on other GMs. I’d say Marner’s stock is about as low as it can go and for 10.9 mill the Leafs are going to have to eat on alot of that contract for another GM to bite. Than you still have the problem of Marner agreeing to the trade. I’d say the Leafs are stuck with him for his last year of the contract.

Stranger things have happened though….
If Wayne Gretzky could be traded.... Sighs just kidding we're stuck with Marner but I'm still holding on to that feeling of bye bye Mitchy. Be funny if he ended up in NYI after Tavares incident.

Reactions: Barnum

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
No pressure tonight Leafs. If you lose tonight your entire market will hate you and the media will blast your character to smithereens. The coach will be fired and players will be tossed aside. No pressure.
I thought that in 2021 after the failure against the habs that came after the previous failure against the CBJ which came after the 2 failures against the Bruins.
I thought it again in 2022 after the failure against the Bolts
Last year they won a round but imploded in round 2 so I kind of thought that gain

But each time they leave the core and coach intact and run it back out. There may well be pressure but rarely any consequences

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I thought that in 2021 after the failure against the habs that came after the previous failure against the CBJ which came after the 2 failures against the Bruins.
I thought it again in 2022 after the failure against the Bolts
Last year they won a round but imploded in round 2 so I kind of thought that gain

But each time they leave the core and coach intact and run it back out. There may well be pressure but rarely any consequences
Maybe. But I’m hearing a lot of chatter that this year could be different. Not different like they’ll win a series, but different in that major changes are coming if they fail this year. Which is weird cause the market in Toronto at mid-season seemed to be fine that this was a rebuild year and not a serious contender year.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The cup was the year before that.

My general point was that the current core and their intense playoff style deep playoff run reputation is largely just existing on the reputation of Chara. Since he left they've been one of the best regular season teams in the NHL (literally the most points in the NHL since 2020) but have won a total of 2 games in that stretch post round 1.

We'll see if they can actually earn that reputation for themselves this year or not.

No, it wasn't. This year is 2024. Bruins went to the finals in 2019. Which was five years ago.

Nothing like a poster not only actively being misleading but also doubling down on his verifiably wrong claim. And now you're claiming that the Ghost of Chara is the reason they have the reputation of playoff hockey while ignoring the actual play of the Bruins, everyone can see they've been the better team.

Do better.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The cup was the year before that.

My general point was that the current core and their intense playoff style deep playoff run reputation is largely just existing on the reputation of Chara. Since he left they've been one of the best regular season teams in the NHL (literally the most points in the NHL since 2020) but have won a total of 2 games in that stretch post round 1.

We'll see if they can actually earn that reputation for themselves this year or not.
Im basing my thoughts on what Im witnessing in this series, not the past. So far they look pretty solid to me.

Reactions: PainForShane

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe. But I’m hearing a lot of chatter that this year could be different. Not different like they’ll win a series, but different in that major changes are coming if they fail this year. Which is weird cause the market in Toronto at mid-season seemed to be fine that this was a rebuild year and not a serious contender year.
I agree with you, I think there are changes coming. Keefe at a minimum. Trades are tough with those NMC. I personally don't think there is a big trade market for Marner without an extension agreed to before hand. I don't think there is much of a trade market for Marner at 11M either. He is a great player but there are too many questions about playoff performances. He will not be the guy on a contender and at that salary you have to be the guy.

Would the leafs trade him for a minimal return just to get the cap space. They are kind of stuck if he decides he does not want to go anywhere or anywhere but team X

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No, it wasn't. This year is 2024. Bruins went to the finals in 2019. Which was five years ago.

Nothing like a poster not only actively being misleading but also doubling down on his verifiably wrong claim. And now you're claiming that the Ghost of Chara is the reason they have the reputation of playoff hockey while ignoring the actual play of the Bruins, everyone can see they've been the better team.

Do better.
Sorry I should have said "the past 5 seasons including this one" instead of "the last 5 years" Congrats on catching a technicality.

I'm not talking about this series, I'm talking about overall. One team has a (deserved) reputation of being massive playoff chokers. One team has a reputation of being elite playoff performers. The elite playoff performers have won a total of 2 more games past the first round than the playoff chokers in "the past 5 seasons including this one" despite being the NHLs single best regular season team during that stretch. We'll see if they can add to that total this year after they (presumably) finish off this series.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
So Matthews may miss an elimination game because he has a lingering injury? Yet he played with that same lingering injury to chase 70 goals? And the coach didn't have the balls to sit him?

I think things are gonna get wild this summer in Toronto if they don't pull this series out.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Before I get jumped on by B's fans, I'm not saying there was anything dirty or malicious in the play I am about to reference. It was, as they call it, a "hockey play."

I think AM might have hurt himself, or aggravated an existing injury, when McAvoy pulled him down in Game 3. If you look at that play, he falls backwards awkwardly. Nothing intentional, but the body isn't supposed to go that way.

It's also in line with Queef's "getting worse by the day" comment.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
So Matthews may miss an elimination game because he has a lingering injury? Yet he played with that same lingering injury to chase 70 goals? And the coach didn't have the balls to sit him?

I think things are gonna get wild this summer in Toronto if they don't pull this series out.
the 69 goals were more important
and
now the excuse he is hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad