Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Ok now what’s an heavily filtered poser.
Filters are what is used to enhance your appearance in pics, if I understand it correctly
Posers - people who are putting on an act.... like the dudes back in high school who can’t even swim sitting at the beach with a surfboard trying to meet girls

Reactions: Summer Rose

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I agree with reputation preceding the actual results and am just arguing that the 'culture' built from those versions of the Bruins is producing teams that 'overachieve'. So the culture and playing style is indeed Cup-worthy and that it's the players and overall talent that stop them from going further.

A winning culture is turning good players into great in the playoffs that can't complete with other teams that have a great culture/winning playstyle AND elite players.
But how does “overall talent that stop them from going further.” mesh with being the single best regular season team in the league over that timeframe.

It’s not like they’re some plucky underdog who is battling into the 7th or 8th seed and then getting overwhelmed, they’re a team that’s been consistently right near the President’s trophy year in and year out.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
there are other players that signed big contracts before they did that too. this isnt just a Leafs or Sens thing.
Yeah it’s pretty much a league wide thing. You try to lock up your young stars early.
The only unique thing with the Leafs is that that they had 3 young stars all at the same time. The smart thing would have been to probably be a bit more proactive and sign one or two earlier at more friendly contracts.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
And yet here we are discussing the Leafs - this is the point - this is why they are so scrutinized.
cool man, so lets just ignore that teams pay players for potential now a days

Yeah it’s pretty much a league wide thing. You try to lock up your young stars early.
The only unique thing with the Leafs is that that they had 3 young stars all at the same time. The smart thing would have been to probably be a bit more proactive and sign one or two earlier at more friendly contracts.
imo Marner was the only one to really took too much. also Tavares was overkill but that cap was suppose to rise every year and it didnt. really back fired on them

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

imo Marner was the only one to really took too much. also Tavares was overkill but that cap was suppose to rise every year and it didnt. really back fired on them
Maybe GMs shouldn't be willing to hand over blank checks...Maybe Toronto would be a better balanced team...Maybe...

Reactions: BCNate

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I swear though, if Matthews doesnt play and hes just sick.... I dunno if I should be held responsible for the words Ill have to say about him.
he can wear a diaper if hes got the shits, he can puke in a bucket on the bench. get ur ass out there and play.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Agreed. The contracts are fine individually. I think Dubas’ big error was not being more proactive and locking up at least one earlier.
Say you lock up Marner before he breaks out for example. Kind of like what Vancouver did with Quinn Hughes, Colorado did with Mack and NJ did with Jack Hughes. You need to try to get value out of these young guys.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Agreed. The contracts are fine individually. I think Dubas’ big error was not being more proactive and locking up one at least earlier.
Say you lock up Marner before he breaks out for example. Kind of like what Vancouver did with Quinn Hughes, Colorado did with Mack and NJ did with Jack Hughes. You need to try to get value out of these young guys.
Marner asked for Draisaitl's money or maybe even less he wanted 8x8 or 8x8.5m if I remember correctly and either Lou or Dubas refused it then he's like Matthews isnt Matthews without me so I want the same. guy gets just under 11.
if I was GM I prob would have used Tavares as a benchmark and kept them under it

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I swear though, if Matthews doesnt play and hes just sick.... I dunno if I should be held responsible for the words Ill have to say about him.
he can wear a diaper if hes got the shits, he can puke in a bucket on the bench. get ur ass out there and play.
What's up with AM34?

What little I know - was it not team MDs who wanted him not to play the 3rd period?

Long-term residual effects from Covid - cardiac arrhythmias ?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Mitch Marner's last game as a Leaf is finally here.

Been waiting for this reality to hit since the 2020 loss to Columbus.
No offense but I would of trade him at least year ago when he had more value. Guy is soft as they come. Just hope they get some value in him still so they can just move on. I would guess Nylander is now top line RW going forward and if we get something back from Marner that we can use then do it. Preferably moving him out west but as long as not in same division would be nice.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I dunno what Swayman is even talking about anyways. its not like he was an early pick and it was easy to know whos early in the lead. by the 4th round teams lists are completely different.

one thing that people forget is if it wasn't for covid putting the NHL into a flat cap for 4 years, the cap wouldn't have ever been an issue. when you sign star players to a high % of the cap. the idea is that as the cap rises it take up less % of the cap. that never happened.
also teams pay for potential now a days. look at Ottawa, their entire core is signed long term and they finished 2nd last in the division

that post is just pure nonsense, maybe it would be considered a snub if Swayman was an early pick. in the 4th round teams lists look alot different and Ian Scott looked pretty solid back then. who knows if we took Swayman I would put money down he wouldnt be what he is right now for us.
we stink at developing goalies
Ignore it, its just Ryan Whitney fabricating stories to create some buzz for his podcast. I’ve never heard Swayman say anything about this, in fact the dude is Mr Positive and happy go lucky from my observations.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Wrong.

Successful teams start with D and goalie and elite Center. Not 4 over-priced unproven forwards. IMO Tavares was a colossal blunder by Dubas.

Reactions: Number8 and Barnum

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What's up with AM34?

What little I know - was it not team MDs who wanted him not to play the 3rd period?

Long-term residual effects from Covid - cardiac arrhythmias ?
Keefe said that it was the doctors who pulled him in game 3. Keefe also was the one who said the illness was "lingering" but he didn't give a timeline to indicate if he just meant that he was sick after game 2, struggled a bit in game 3 and they figured he be better for 4 but he got worse and hasn't recovered after it or if he meant lingering as in ongoing for weeks or months.

Those two scenarios are (obviously) vastly different.

I do think it's worth noting that he finished the regular season on a tear (10 goals in 8 games, then 12 shots in 2 games try to get 70), then was good in game 1, excellent in game 2, and then it was game 3 that he started looking off for which doesn't really seem to line up with a weeks long illness.

Reactions: Neil Racki

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
No offense but I would of trade him at least year ago when he had more value. Guy is soft as they come. Just hope they get some value in him still so they can just move on. I would guess Nylander is now top line RW going forward and if we get something back from Marner that we can use then do it. Preferably moving him out west but as long as not in same division would be nice.
But he can throw the mitts around like no one else!:laugh:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
No offense but I would of trade him at least year ago when he had more value. Guy is soft as they come. Just hope they get some value in him still so they can just move on. I would Nylander is now top line RW and if we get something back from Marner that we can use then do it.
Yzerman will trade for Mitch at the draft...Then sign Bert...Having been in the Motor City for several seasons - Bert will show Mitch the 'finer side' of Detroit...Hang out with Eminem, shoot a gat, learn the nutritional value of a Coney Island...

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Marner has to agree to where he goes, right? I don’t think the Leafs have much choice in the matter unless Marner wants to go somewhere…of his own choosing. It’s a 10.9 mill cap hit too. Good luck trading that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad