Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
100%.

To be clear, I am 100% not clowning on Leaf fans in general -- certainly I am not coming after you specifically (despite your username / handle, ha). In general, you guys are great, including @Arthur Morgan who I've seen on the main boards before and @Just Rude who seems very reasonable as well (ie neither of these posters are trolls). I'm sure you (and everyone else) can figure out what I was going for with my post.

And to be completely honest, I'm a little bit jealous of your username / handle. You did well, great job choosing your handle, I mean that sincerely.

All that said, I'm a fan of hockey in general and am not at all a fan of trolls, regardless of which team(s) they cheer for. That's what my post was about
thanks man, didnt expect a call out lol wasnt sure if some people thought my negative comments towards the Leafs core and my list of what I would do was considered trolling by some. I kinda felt like more people than normal agreed with me.

honestly man, at this point its not even considered clowning leafs fans. anything negative actually deserves to be said.

haha I had to change my username from oley49. I had league members watching for my questions fantasy questions and on another site and jumping on my targets before me. and was playing Red Dead 2 at the time lol

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Now reports are suggesting it's an injury that has been "lingering"
When he was chasing 70 there was that one play where he went hard to the net and went down a little awkward and hit the boards kinda hard with his back and his head kinda whiplashed...At that time I mentioned it to my buddy and stated that that was very close to being a bad injury...... He did play the next several games but they are saying lingering...

Reactions: AvroArrow

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Swayman was the difference. He is a world class goaltender. He is capable of stealing any series.

Why do the Leafs always get stuck playing the best teams that have the best goalies. Lol

I've been thinking it's been more the Leaf D's inability to get the puck to that elite forward group with speed and clean. Leafs forwards not coming low enough to compensate and then the Bruins cycle sets up.

Swayman has been amazing but last game the Leafs D and the transition was exposed. Doesn't help when your best player is injured.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I've been thinking it's been more the Leaf D's inability to get the puck to that elite forward group with speed and clean. Leafs forwards not coming low enough to compensate and then the Bruins cycle sets up.

Swayman has been amazing but last game the Leafs D and the transition was exposed. Doesn't help when your best player is injured.
the problem is, the Leafs just aren't that good.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Don't know if it would be an epic meltdown. Remember, we all hate the Bruins almost as much as we hate the Leafs. The memes that would come from from the Bruins blowing a 3-1 series lead in back-to-back seasons would be glorious.

SO much this. For me its about a 5-10% differential, so going for Bruins this time. I mean, Bruins have their share, but some Leafs posters are more than a little LESS than divine....

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The Bruins play elite playoff style hockey and are built for long runs. It's why in the last 5 years they've won a total of 2 more playoffs games than the Leafs have after round 1.
They went to the 2nd rnd 2x and the cup 1x in that span

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The Bruins play elite playoff style hockey and are built for long runs. It's why in the last 5 years they've won a total of 2 more playoffs games than the Leafs have after round 1.

I think that is in fact true; the Bruins style hockey is indeed built for long runs and compensates for the on paper shortcomings. Their lack of elite top end talent pairs well with this system to 'overachieve' and play above their paper stats.

But when they play a team with a system and elite players, they are up against the wall. Bruins lost in OT game 7 to Florida, Toronto lost in 5. If the Leafs adopted a culture and system that the Bruins have with their talent then I believe they are legitimate Cup contenders with money from JT and MM going to the D. A culture shift at the core.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I've said it multiple times - years ago.....Dubas handing out blank checks to the Tronna Pretty Boys sealed their fate.....None of them had to 'work' to get their payday - the epitome of the participation medal generation.

All that said - Bring it on Bs!

1714500888991.png

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Forgot about Ian Scott
I dunno what Swayman is even talking about anyways. its not like he was an early pick and it was easy to know whos early in the lead. by the 4th round teams lists are completely different.
I've said it multiple times - years ago.....Dubas handing out blank checks to the Tronna Pretty Boys sealed their fate.....None of them had to 'work' to get their payday - the epitome of the participation medal generation.

All that said - Bring it on Bs!

View attachment 862368
one thing that people forget is if it wasn't for covid putting the NHL into a flat cap for 4 years, the cap wouldn't have ever been an issue. when you sign star players to a high % of the cap. the idea is that as the cap rises it take up less % of the cap. that never happened.
also teams pay for potential now a days. look at Ottawa, their entire core is signed long term and they finished 2nd last in the division

that post is just pure nonsense, maybe it would be considered a snub if Swayman was an early pick. in the 4th round teams lists look alot different and Ian Scott looked pretty solid back then. who knows if we took Swayman I would put money down he wouldnt be what he is right now for us.
we stink at developing goalies

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They went to the 2nd rnd 2x and the cup 1x in that span

I think that is in fact true; the Bruins style hockey is indeed built for long runs and compensates for the on paper shortcomings. Their lack of elite top end talent pairs well with this system to 'overachieve' and play above their paper stats.

But when they play a team with a system and elite players, they are up against the wall. Bruins lost in OT game 7 to Florida, Toronto lost in 5. If the Leafs adopted a culture and system that the Bruins have with their talent then I believe they are legitimate Cup contenders with money from JT and MM going to the D. A culture shift at the core.

The cup was the year before that.

My general point was that the current core and their intense playoff style deep playoff run reputation is largely just existing on the reputation of Chara. Since he left they've been one of the best regular season teams in the NHL (literally the most points in the NHL since 2020) but have won a total of 2 games in that stretch post round 1.

We'll see if they can actually earn that reputation for themselves this year or not.

Reactions: Score8

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The cup was the year before that.

My general point was that the current core and their intense playoff style deep playoff run reputation is largely just existing on the reputation of Chara. Since he left they've been one of the best regular season teams in the NHL (literally the most points in the NHL since 2020) but have won a total of 2 games in that stretch post round 1.

We'll see if they can actually earn that reputation for themselves this year or not.

I agree with reputation preceding the actual results and am just arguing that the 'culture' built from those versions of the Bruins is producing teams that 'overachieve'. So the culture and playing style is indeed Cup-worthy and that it's the players and overall talent that stop them from going further.

A winning culture is turning good players into great in the playoffs that can't complete with other teams that have a great culture/winning playstyle AND elite players.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
one thing that people forget is if it wasn't for covid putting the NHL into a flat cap for 4 years, the cap wouldn't have ever been an issue. when you sign star players to a high % of the cap. the idea is that as the cap rises it take up less % of the cap. that never happened.
also teams pay for potential now a days. look at Ottawa, their entire core is signed long term and they finished 2nd last in the division
Point being is that any 'reasonable' GM keeps his RFAs in check...Comparing the Leafs with the Sens is like asking if you like ketchup or mustard with your turd sandwich - it's still a turd sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad