Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The Leafs biggest issue is that they can’t stay focussed on what really matters. It’s the win. Everything else is just noise.
Whether it’s Kadri or Bunting losing their cool or the team getting completely distracted by Marchand it’s the same thing every year.
well sure we have had some players lose their cool and get punished. but the refs dont make things any easier either. Im not saying the Leafs dont get calls they got 5 in Game 3 but at certain moments it seemed like Boston could do anything they wanted and no calls. had 2 penalties happen just before they scored on us. they make the call and penalize them and they likely never happen.

not saying the results would have been any different if they did but some shady shit going on. refs just pick and choose when to make calls and when not to.

Im fine with the loss. I really dont care but its frustrating the same move that got Knies hurt last year was done to Matthews this year and again no call.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
"Time to leave Marchand alone,just play it straight up.If there is a chance to hit him,then do so,but dont go out of your way"
"TSN Overdrive"
What's bizarre is that Bertuzzi started hacking Marchand in game 1 before the puck was even dropped.

I get that Marchand can stir the pot and get under players skin - especially during a playoff series where you see each other night after night.

But Marchand was in Bertuzzi's head before the series even started.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
well sure we have had some players lose their cool and get punished. but the refs dont make things any easier either. Im not saying the Leafs dont get calls they got 5 in Game 3 but at certain moments it seemed like Boston could do anything they wanted and no calls. had 2 penalties happen just before they scored on us. they make the call and penalize them and they likely never happen.

not saying the results would have been any different if they did but some shady shit going on. refs just pick and choose when to make calls and when not to.

Im fine with the loss. I really dont care but its frustrating the same move that got Knies hurt last year was done to Matthews this year and again no call.
I mean every single fanbase feels the refs pick on them. To be truly objective you’d need to be able to watch games and pick out all the times the Leafs got away with one. Not many fans can do that because we are all fans of our team and fandom by definition means we see things pretty one sided.
Realistically the calls probably break about even although like I said every single fanbase feels they are picked on.
And in the end who cares? You either win or you lose. Injuries, reffing, luck etc are things all beyond a teams control. They need to stay focused on the game.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
What's bizarre is that Bertuzzi started hacking Marchand in game 1 before the puck was even dropped.

I get that Marchand can stir the pot and get under players skin - especially during a playoff series where you see each other night after night.

But Marchand was in Bertuzzi's head before the series even started.
I believe that was Domi.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Half the SN talking heads crew had leafs in 5.
One had leafs in four.

This is the same panels that pumps up the Leafs offense but casually ignores comparing Defense and Goalies.

Panel: the leafs offense will score 4+ goals per game and wrap the series up in 5.
Question: what about defense?
Panel: we don't talk about that.....
Question: what about goalies?
Panel: what goalies?

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
You have 2 other *100 point players* btw , how many do you need to win a round!?
Um, they won one last year?:huh:

You don't think having a 40-goal, 98-point player point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference in a tight series that is currently 2-1? I mean, it's not an excuse. Even a six year-old could figure it out.

EDIT: Don't answer that. My bad. You're a Habs fan. You don't think having a 28-goal, 65-point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
well I mean how can anyone expect the Leafs to win when they are gifted 5 PPs and cant score. then obvious penalties not being called at extremely key points of the game kinda makes things even harder. oh I almost forgot Swayman is amazing but so is Ullmark so its just so freaking unlikely leafs win but its not impossible.

Florida also isnt untouchable they can lose I mean seriously doubt they lose the series. TB isnt even that bad they just played ALOT of games over the years they got the team that can make a come back. doesnt seem likely with Bob making Hasek like saves lol
I'm watching every minute of that Sunny state series. Bolts are playing very good. Florida is just relentless and deeper.
They lack nothing. Lose Bennet their second line center and dont even blink.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

You don't think having a 40-goal, 98-point player point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference in a tight series that is currently 2-1? I mean, it's not an excuse. Even a six year-old could figure it out.

EDIT: Don't answer that. My bad. You're a Habs fan. You don't think having a 28-goal, 65-point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference?
no its just nobody is giving you pity for an injury to Nylander when you failed to win for more than half a decade with all three of your *100 point players*.

And obviously you know the little habs chirp can't affect me since we embarrassed you guys with phil danault as our 1 C lmao

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is the same panels that pumps up the Leafs offense but casually ignores comparing Defense and Goalies.

Panel: they leafs offense will score 4+ goals per game and wrap the series up in 5.
Question: what about defense?
Panel: we don't talk about that.....
Question: what about goalies?
Panel: what goalies?
Bang on. Heard Anthony Stewart rave on and on about the leafs winning the series because of forward depth. Mentioning overvand over Robertson, Knies, Domi.
Never mentioned goaltending. Defence, Bruins depth. lol
What a Homer!

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
no its just nobody is giving you pity for an injury to Nylander when you failed to win for more than half a decade with all three of your *100 point players*.
Who is asking for pity?

Boston is full marks for having a 2-1 series lead. The Leafs special teams suck. Swayman is playing out of his mind. Marchand is doing what he does best. Nylander being out hurts the Leafs.

All these things can be true. This really isn't difficult.

Reactions: leafsfan5

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bang on. Heard Anthony Stewart rave on and on about the leafs winning the series because of forward depth. Mentioning overvand over Robertson, Knies, Domi.
Never mentioned goaltending. Defence, Bruins depth. lol
What a Homer!
Yeah it’s a little over the top. The Leafs finished 5th in the East and 7 points behind the Bruins and somehow the Toronto media paints them as the superior team.
The Leafs are a top ten team in the league but I had Boston as the favourites coming into this series. Could still go either way.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Aves won the Cup after losing Peter Forsberg. Sure losing him " made a difference" ....but they went on and won WITH the difference.
Penguins did same without Letang. Other guys step up.
Bruins won Cup after losing Marc Savard for entire play offs. Then lost Nathan Horton while down 2-0 in the finals. Other guys step up.......or they don't.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

And Tavares hight sticked McAvoy in the face. No call, no problem.
Pasta gets high sticked in front of ref in open ice. No call no problem.
Nothing one sided what so ever.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Half the SN talking heads crew had leafs in 5.
One had leafs in four.
That's weird. I am looking at 17 SN staff predictions for that series, and there is not a single Leafs in 4 or 5. Not one. This includes Marek, Amber, Simpson, Cameron, Bourne, Kypreos, Costentino, Mayers and Bukala.

Now, granted, not all of them are "talking heads." By "half the talking heads", I assume you mean MacLean? Hrudey? Bieksa? Botterill? Friedman?

Who, exactly?

Or, are you just using hyperbole for dramatic effect to look like a hero?

Aves won the Cup after losing Peter Forsberg. Sure losing him " made a difference" ....but they went on and won WITH the difference.
Penguins did same without Letang. Other guys step up.
Bruins won Cup after losing Marc Savard for entire play offs. Then lost Nathan Horton while down 2-0 in the finals. Other guys step up.......or they don't.
You read the part that said "it's not an excuse" and "having a 40-goal, 98-point player point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference in a tight series that is currently 2-1", right?

Kind of important. You know, for context and everything.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
He just likes to complain, I would just glaze over it.

Refs missed major calls on both sides, only difference is that Toronto didn't take advantage when it benefited them. Sucks to suck. Go B's.
The bolded is why the Leafs are down. Swayman and special teams shitting the bed.

It's now time for another Leafs sack check. Let's see if they have it in them to even this thing up. Enough of the excuses.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's weird. I am looking at 17 SN staff predictions for that series, and there is not a single Leafs in 4 or 5. Not one. This includes Marek, Amber, Simpson, Cameron, Bourne, Kypreos, Costentino, Mayers and Bukala.

Now, granted, not all of them are "talking heads." By "half the talking heads", I assume you mean MacLean? Hrudey? Bieksa? Botterill? Friedman?

Who, exactly?

Or, are you just using hyperbole for dramatic effect to look like a hero?

You read the part that said "it's not an excuse" and "having a 40-goal, 98-point player point player in the lineup might make even a tiny difference in a tight series that is currently 2-1", right?

Kind of important. You know, for context and everything.
Could you post the 17 predictions you are looking at.
Be good to compare to the list thst was post on here during game one of this series.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

There were more than a handful of missed calls on Toronto that would do the same.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mar 26, 2010
It is irrelevant on who wins this series. Boston most likely takes it in 5 or 6 though.

The reason why it is irrelevant, is because Florida will absolutely steamroll either team in round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad