Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
5fb9a47e-43ac-4609-af36-539cf4679c21-1_all_113137.png

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why on earth are we talking about the Panthers after game 3 of this series?
Because the winner plays them next?

McDavid carries with Draisaitl, Kucherov with Point/Hedman/Vasi, Eichel is the best player on an extremely well-rounded team significantly over the cap

Matthews needs to have a big series here, but a game 2-style carry for 4 games is extremely tough in a series. We need Marner/Tavares to come alive and produce more than they have been
Highly unlikely to happen

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It's a monumental blow, especially when you couple it with the loss of Bobby McMann

The Leafs are struggling to score (what else is new) and are missing two of their best goal-scorers. It's tough to overcome that unless AM34 carries us every game
Hence depth is important in the playoffs...The final 2 playing for the cup are usually decimated by injuries. This isn't anything new.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
They also won 6 in a row before they dropped those last 2, ironically one in OT to the Leafs.

So a mediocrity, a solid 6 game streak and then a 2 game losing streak and needing big time help to make the playoffs to close the season.

Regardless, none of this is relevant when they meet the Bruins in a week or two

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
No they are not, but a team that loses 4 games to the same team in the same season clearly had some struggle’s competing with that team. They didn’t win a single game, it wasn’t a split or 3-1 it was 4-0 , that is not an outlier, it’s a trend.
Both of y’all are stretching things to try and make his own narrative work. Every game between the Panthers and Bruins was close and could’ve gone either way. While you try to make it sound like the Bs easily wiped the floor with them. Closely contested and evenly matched, every time. Easily could’ve been different outcomes.

Reactions: Score8

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So a mediocrity, a solid 6 game streak and then a 2 game losing streak and needing big time help to make the playoffs to close the season.

Regardless, none of this is relevant when they meet the Bruins in a week or two
Seemed to get them into gear enough to steamroll the rest of the eastern conference. I would also say that if you think going 6-1-1 over the last 8 games basically playing playoff style hockey to try to make the playoffs is mediocre you have some pretty high standards but I digress

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Hence depth is important in the playoffs...The final 2 playing for the cup are usually decimated by injuries. This isn't anything new.
No one's saying otherwise? Depth is important, but losing a 100-point forward who played all 82 games right before game 1 of the playoffs is an extremely shitty situation

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Matthews is a big boy, he should be able to decide games by himself. He'll never be considered a player until he does something in the playoffs. It seems VERY difficult to him. Maybe not getting paid and golf course right there?
So Matthews should decide games by himself like the other stars you originally listed, except those other stars have superstars with them playing a prominent role in their victory

No one is denying AM34 needs to lead the charge, but winning a series on the back of 1 guy doesn't really happen lol. For example, in game 2 he was responsible for all 3 goals we scored, yet we barely won 3-2

The Leafs need their other guys to get going as well, it can't just be AM34. Marner had a nice assist in game 3 and it's hopefully the start of his offense coming alive

Because the winner plays them next?

Highly unlikely to happen
Unfortunately, I agree. My hope before the series was Matthews/Nylander to lead the offensive charge and we would have the JT/Marner line play Pastrnak even

With Nylander gone the Marner line needs to score more, but I'm not particularly confident that they will do so

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Seemed to get them into gear enough to steamroll the rest of the eastern conference. I would also say that if you think going 6-1-1 over the last 8 games basically playing playoff style hockey to try to make the playoffs is mediocre you have some pretty high standards but I digress

You're misrepresenting my stance, I'm stating they won 6 of their last 10 games, they had a nice 6 game streak and then followed it up with 2 losses. I disagree that "got them into gear to steamroll the Eastern Conference"

Coming back from being down 3-1 against a team boasting one of the best seasons in NHL history paved their pathway to the Stanley Cup finals, not a single soul viewed Florida as a Stanley Cup contender through 4 games against Boston last year.

And lets not pretend Boston was coasting down the stretch, they were on an 8 game heater and closed the season winning 9 of 10.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
No one's saying otherwise? Depth is important, but losing a 100-point forward who played all 82 games right before game 1 of the playoffs is an extremely shitty situation
No doubt and unfortunate however relying "by compensating" on 4 skilled forwards with no successful playoff track record has not worked.

Welcome to building NHL team 101 with a CAP ... Vegas new to the NHL started by brining in experienced management focused on goaltending, D, and top end center, lastly player depth. The team included character players, leaders, and winners which ultimately lead to early team success and team identity. With this foundation Vegas will continue to attract talented winning players moving forward.

This series is far from over. For the bruins, fans recognize this is a mini reset/retool year. The expectations aren't all that high. Winning a first round would be considered a great year. The leafs could very well win this series "they are due" however like the bruins unlikely to move deep into playoffs. Hope I'm wrong!

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe, if they win another game.
they will, this ain't the leafs we are talking about.
All kidding aside the Bolts are playing pretty good. But the Panthers are just relentless with no weak spots.
4th line scored two goals last night.
Their second line center goes injured and out of series in 2nd game and barely a mention of it from their camp.
Just keep on rolling.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
they will, this ain't the leafs we are talking about.
All kidding aside the Bolts are playing pretty good. But the Panthers are just relentless with no weak spots.
4th line scored two goals last night.
Their second line center goes injured and out of series in 2nd game and barely a mention of it from their camp.
Just keep on rolling.
well I mean how can anyone expect the Leafs to win when they are gifted 5 PPs and cant score. then obvious penalties not being called at extremely key points of the game kinda makes things even harder. oh I almost forgot Swayman is amazing but so is Ullmark so its just so freaking unlikely leafs win but its not impossible.

Florida also isnt untouchable they can lose I mean seriously doubt they lose the series. TB isnt even that bad they just played ALOT of games over the years they got the team that can make a come back. doesnt seem likely with Bob making Hasek like saves lol

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
He'll never be considered a player until he does something in the playoffs. It seems VERY difficult to him.
Says the guy sitting on the couch eating Doritos.

The guy has won a Calder, three Rockets, a Hart and a Lindsay. You know, the award voted by players?

He has 47 points in 52 playoff games. He had 5 goals and 4 assists in the Tampa series last year. Sure, not Conn Smythe numbers overall, but not no-show numbers, either. 14 of those games were head-to-head against perhaps the best shutdown forward to ever play the game.

“Never considered a player”? Stop embarrassing yourself.😂😂

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Leafs biggest issue is that they can’t stay focussed on what really matters. It’s the win. Everything else is just noise.
Whether it’s Kadri or Bunting losing their cool or the team getting completely distracted by Marchand it’s the same thing every year.
Marchand loves all of the attention and he’s a master of getting in the other team’s head. It’s part of what makes him so effective.
People talk about the team flattening him with a check or tooling him up in a fight. It’s just not going to happen and he’s proven it over the years.
Ignore the antics and focus on what really matters. The series win. Otherwise the Leafs are playing right into Marchand’s hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Both of these teams are fighting for the privilege of getting swept by the Panthers but I don't care. Just somehow beat Boston. I want to get swept by the Panthers instead of the losing to the Bruins.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad