Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's not going to come out and say he wishes he had a team with more hockey sense.
It would be something of a cop out if he did because his job as a teacher is to essentially groom their habits. The more worrying thing to me was after Game 2 when he said he can't really tell players to shoot in certain situations because that wasn't his mentality as a player either. If he can't polish their instincts with the puck then I can't really expect much of any progress unless by some miracle McPhee happens to put together a strong defense for once. This year's 4-6D group sure as hell ain't it.

They've had a lot of system/defensive play drilled into them over the past two years to the point where they really need to get back to fundamentals with the puck and offensively in general. So much of their success this season was predicated on the opposition just not pressuring them all that much and them winning races to pucks all over the ice. Once everything becomes more contested they haven't displayed the necessary sort of structure and crispness.

The biggest weapon, the PP, has been largely negated and at no point late in the past two games down a goal did it seem like they were capable of slowing down the moment. Ward's individual play was about it in terms of creating something. They still may take the series but their game under duress is pretty terrible.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Hendricks looked great playing center just 2 weeks ago.

I don't give a rats ass if Beagle is our only RH faceoff guy. I think Hendricks gives a better effort at center and think Beagle may be a better winger than Hendricks. He has more girth and seems fine at wing to me.

Hendricks at center a year ago was excellent. I would have no problem scratching Beagle. I do not see Oates using his handedness in draws. Heck, he doesn't seem to even take many draws at all... just checked - 4 per game.

Opens the door for the shiny new toy

Patti Hendy Wilsie Wilson

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It would be something of a cop out if he did because his job as a teacher is to essentially groom their habits. The more worrying thing to me was after Game 2 when he said he can't really tell players to shoot in certain situations because that wasn't his mentality as a player either. If he can't polish their instincts with the puck then I can't really expect much of any progress unless by some miracle McPhee happens to put together a strong defense for once. This year's 4-6D group sure as hell ain't it.

They've had a lot of system/defensive play drilled into them over the past two years to the point where they really need to get back to fundamentals with the puck and offensively in general. So much of their success this season was predicated on the opposition just not pressuring them all that much and them winning races to pucks all over the ice. Once everything becomes more contested they haven't displayed the necessary sort of structure and crispness.

The biggest weapon, the PP, has been largely negated and at no point late in the past two games down a goal did it seem like they were capable of slowing down the moment. Ward's individual play was about it in terms of creating something. They still may take the series but their game under duress is pretty terrible.

They had one bad game really so I'm not ready to get too down on them for that.

I think if they could be more physical and play like they did in the 3rd period last night (for most of it at least) then they will be ok.

In the first two games they used the ariel flip and chase when the Rangers pressed too hard. I'm not really sure why they went away from it as it seemed to be working.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

I posted here about that comment. I don't think he was all that serious about it to be honest. It seemed like he didn't really want to answer repeated questions about Mojo and Nicky not shooting, so he diffused it quickly by saying he was the same way.

Liberati0n*

I did notice that comment too. He always says "reads" are up to the players to make and he can't really criticize them for making one. Obviously if that means any decision they make with the puck is fine, and he's not going to coach them to make better ones, there's a problem. That seems kind of implausible to me, though. For example, he always talks about Backstrom being the guy who starts the play and makes decisions with the puck on the PP. Does that mean when he shows them video he's not identifying things they could have done differently, pointing out things to Backstrom, whatever? I just doubt it. He's responsible for grooming their habits, but it seems like they need a lot of grooming, and he still hasn't had much (especially practice) time.

I think you overstate this a little bit. Every team is going to look worse when its opponent plays with more urgency and confidence. The Rangers didn't have those things as much in the first three games because they were often the ones on their heels.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
They had one bad game really so I'm not ready to get too down on them for that.

I think if they could be more physical and play like they did in the 3rd period last night (for most of it at least) then they will be ok.

In the first two games they used the ariel flip and chase when the Rangers pressed too hard. I'm not really sure why they went away from it as it seemed to be working.

Bob, I agree its one horrible game. But we need to look at trend here, as it relates to the Rangers. They really seemed motivated after winning game 3. The way they played game 4 (vs games 1 and 2) was night and day. They've picked it up and that doesn't bode well for us. We're going to have to do a lot more than just play like they did in games 1 and 2 now. The Rangers have all the momentum.

apollo71426

Jan 21, 2010
We win last night if Ovechkin isn't playing. Heinous defensively, zero effort, floating like a cloud, turnover machine. When he's not scoring, he brings very little to the game (except injuring his own teammate). Truth hurts.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
McDonagh talked after Game 4 of Staal's "humble and honest" decision not to play. Torts on comment: "Mac should shut up."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bob, I agree its one horrible game. But we need to look at trend here, as it relates to the Rangers. They really seemed motivated after winning game 3. The way they played game 4 (vs games 1 and 2) was night and day. They've picked it up and that doesn't bode well for us. We're going to have to do a lot more than just play like they did in games 1 and 2 now. The Rangers have all the momentum.

I don't see it that way. Momentum is a fickle thing and can turn on a dime.

It's one day removed from a loss and I can see people being emotional about it. We come out strong in game 5 then suddenly everyone's view of the situation will not seem so dire.

Just have to play more physical than last game and not get a 3rd game in a row of horrid officiating.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm the last guy to give up on this team. I wasn't implying that we are going to lose this. I'm just saying the effort from the Caps needs to be exponentially better than it has been the last couple of games. I don't know what to make of this team. I really thought they were over the mental lapses that we've seen from them the last couple of years. But its still there. I'm more pissed about that than I am about the loss.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I almost feel like the last 2 games were treated as a write off

Players not logging hits is an indication of giving a rats ass. A few seemed to back off the hitting in game 3 and 4... oh lets see randomly... Ovi Orr Erskine Carlson and Fehr.

It wasn't just one guy. So it was a coordinated... lack of attack. A clear pattern.

But of course #LOM Brouwer seemed to keep up the act. It's what he does. Its all he does. He will find you.

/T1

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

If the Caps had lost 5 to 1 or been shut out I might agree with you a bit, however let's keep in mind that in Game 3 the Rangers had an advantage in PP 6 to 3 and yet the Caps outshot them 31 to 30 and lost by one goal. Last night Rangers scored off of a bone head play by Holtby, a gift PP on the Chimera penalty at the end of the 2nd period and then the first line spectator shift. The Rangers did not beat the Caps last night, the Caps beat themselves. Again PP disparity of 4 to 2, with the Rangers on a 5-3 PP for two minutes resulting in bupkus for them. I don't like to harp on the refereeing, but the phantom charging call on Ovie when Erat got called for a penalty and injured on the same play was ridiculous, they are just making up calls. Then the Chimera cross check at the end of the second and then he's cross checked by Moore in the third without a call you can only shake your head in disbelief.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm the last guy to give up on this team. I wasn't implying that we are going to lose this. I'm just saying the effort from the Caps needs to be exponentially better than it has been the last couple of games. I don't know what to make of this team. I really thought they were over the mental lapses that we've seen from them the last couple of years. But its still there. I'm more pissed about that than I am about the loss.

OK well lets not lump both games at MSG together. Game 3 we dominated but came up short.

Game 4 we did have a lapse. Lapses happen. They happen to the best of teams.

Even last night I didn't see a team that quit or gave no effort. They were trying but just off in alot of ways for most of the game.

We gave a couple punches and we took a couple. I think most people figured this would be a long series. In order for a series to be long then each team has to win a couple games at least right?

I think we need to push back and we will behind the home crowd and also should get less suspicious officiating there.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If the Caps had lost 5 to 1 or been shut out I might agree with you a bit, however let's keep in mind that in Game 3 the Rangers had an advantage in PP 6 to 3 and yet the Caps outshot them 31 to 30 and lost by one goal. Last night Rangers scored off of a bone head play by Holtby, a gift PP on the Chimera penalty at the end of the 2nd period and then the first line spectator shift. The Rangers did not beat the Caps last night, the Caps beat themselves. Again PP disparity of 4 to 2, with the Rangers on a 5-3 PP for two minutes resulting in bupkus for them. I don't like to harp on the refereeing, but the phantom charging call on Ovie when Erat got called for a penalty and injured on the same play was ridiculous, they are just making up calls. Then the Chimera cross check at the end of the second and then he's cross checked by Moore in the third without a call you can only shake your head in disbelief.

Yes this is how I saw things. The Rangers, with help from the stripes, gave us their best and yet we were still tied going into period 3. Never did I see the Caps quit or just come unglued.

In fact after the Rangers took a 4-2 lead I saw the Caps make a strong concerted push.

I actually counted 5 PPs for the Rangers but I think they lump the 5 on 3 together since the minors occured at the same time. Miss another too many men. The Chimera call/non call was bad. That whole Erat/Ovechkin thing was beyond laughable. And that was just the blatent stuff as I saw a bunch of lesser highlighted plays go against us.

In the end we lost by 1 goal and were threatening to tie it late. Most are reacting as if we had a Penguins level meltdown.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Much and the ebb and flow in the game depends on who scored. The Rags up a lot of the game, could afford to sit back lets call it. The caps... likely looked like they "dominated" during that time. I have felt all the games have been close. Even our first game blowout, we only won 3-1. Had we the lead yesterday, their fans may well think they dominated play. You have to look at the scores and I see a lot of 1 goal games.

I do want to complain about the penalties though, just to piss off folks that say suck it up. Almost incredibly, the refereeing has gotten worse. And their incessant calls are killing the game.

How long does Erskine have to let Callahan grab his tool before getting kicked in the crotch is warranted? Chimera getting decked en route to a goal celebration was shades of Dale on Pierre. Unsuspecting customers. The 2 penalties on the breakaway is unprecedented.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Much and the ebb and flow in the game depends on who scored. The Rags up a lot of the game, could afford to sit back lets call it. The caps... likely looked like they "dominated" during that time. I have felt all the games have been close. Even our first game blowout, we only won 3-1. Had we the lead yesterday, their fans may well think they dominated play. You have to look at the scores and I see a lot of 1 goal games.

I do want to complain about the penalties though, just to piss off folks that say suck it up. Almost incredibly, the refereeing has gotten worse. And their incessant calls are killing the game.

How long does Erskine have to let Callahan grab his tool before getting kicked in the crotch is warranted? Chimera getting decked en route to a goal celebration was shades of Dale on Pierre. Unsuspecting customers. The 2 penalties on the breakaway is unprecedented.

True RH. The score can dictate how the game looks for sure as the losing team is willing to take more chances and push to tie things while the leading team can sit back and be more patient.

I didn't think the officiating could get worse from game 3 to game 4 but it did. I would imagine 3 in a row like that is an unlikely outcome.

Just like how the score can dictate how the game looks so can the officiating. Did the Rangers get a foul in the last 2 periods of the game? I thought both their penalties were committed in the 1st.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I am sorry thats too funny looks like they took a monument from the national mall put a number 8 jersey on it and just pushed it out there he barely moves at all . I like ovie i think he is the best player in hockey that video reminds me when jagr did the same thing for the rangers.

You do realize the face off circles have 30' diameter right?

Ovechkin literally had no chance there. His team mates turned the puck over. Oleksy was above the face off dots. MoJo and Backstrom are where?

No lets blame Ovechkin. Not the missing MoJo or Backstrom who were the ones who turned the puck over.

Last edited by a moderator:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
At face value, these last two games have shown that Caps are still the better team -- without luck or big mistakes (hey mr.goalie) and crowd support, Rags don't have much. So of course anything can happen in three games now, but if Caps dont get rattled, they should still be big favorites to win.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
At face value, these last two games have shown that Caps are still the better team -- without TUURRBL officiating, luck or big mistakes (hey mr.goalie) and crowd support, Rags don't have much. So of course anything can happen in three games now, but if Caps dont get rattled, they should still be big favorites to win.

Fixed.

And trust me..I'm not one who harps on the stripes too hard but the last 2 games were brutal. 1 game I can understand. But both? Ugghh

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Fixed.

And trust me..I'm not one who harps on the stripes too hard but the last 2 games were brutal. 1 game I can understand. But both? Ugghh

They were, but Holtby was brutal too (in Game 4), and that has a MUCH bigger impact on the game. He overshot his net badly on his turnover and on the game winner he was already on the post, but for some reason felt inclined to jump out way further at the bump pass, leaving the entire net open for Stepan.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I wish today was Friday so we could watch game 5. I'm looking forward to see how the Caps react this year.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
He looked to be in quite a bit of pain. I hope he recovers quickly.
Must haveof been that people's elbow he took from Stepan last night that literally took his head off, and not Ovechkin taking him out on that same play, coincidentally the only time Ovechkin showed any effort last night, which Tinner claims shouldn't be of any concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad