Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals: Pt. 2

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well said, CCF.

Perhaps I can interest you in the spokes:

:bruins

Indeed.

Go Bruins. Kick some Ranger ass. But I confess I want to see Ottawa come out of the East. I would like Alfie to get one more shot.

I would've been entirely behind the Bs if they didn't have Jagr and DID get Iggy.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
This just makes every Caps fan look bad. Nothing but excuses. :shakehead

CCF,

I get what you say but try and think of it this way:

Now, at the risk of resorting to reductio absurdum, lets say that instead of a 26-14 PP advantage (keeping in mind what was called and let go) that it was a 32-8 PP advantage (with the same proportion of calls/non calls that sucked)....would you still feel the same way?

Perhaps.

Lets say that it was 64-4 PP against us. CLEARLY you wouldn't feel the same way. You'd say "this is absurd! WTF??"

Maybe you wouldn't. At some point you would however. For instance if the whole series we had to play a man down just about.

Clearly nothing like that is near reality. However, what it does suggest is that at some point it stops becoming excuse making and starts becoming reality. The question is where do you draw the line?

I drew the line there. Maybe just me but thats mine. It was clearly affecting the Caps play. As Choke displayed..it wasn't just the minutes/disparity...its the EFFECT it had on Caps players.

We talked about it..at one point in game 6 (after tons of bogus officiating) a Rag entered our zone with 2 Caps defenders on him playing hard. The Rag started the signs of "flailing". What resulted was comical...

Within a few moments of each other 2 Caps defenders, instead of defending, threw their arms of in innocence and let the Rag go unchecked further into our zone.

I saw this happening at points during this series...the lack of aggression and hesitation. It messes with the psyche of the team and it doesn't matter who you are. It was that lobsided and to me crossed the line where it stopped being something overcome so easily as we'd like to believe.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Saying the reffing was bad and saying the Caps weren't good enough are not mutually exclusive. Caps aren't a good ES team. The reffing (at least the portion that was rather lenient on the Rags) took away a major weapon, and the Caps weren't good enough to overcome.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This just makes every Caps fan look bad. Nothing but excuses. :shakehead

This just makes things even worse:

We’ve got everybody and their brother whining out there in Washington about what happened in that series and I think that’s a big reason they lose that series.
John Tortorella

This season is going to stink and sting for a while.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
So the reffing completely demoralized the Caps to the point where they totally crapped the bed in game 7? Next time why even bother playing game 7.

The reffing is clearly rigged to help the big market teams? Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver say "hi".

I swear shades of being Halaked are setting in. Let's not pretend that the Caps took stupid penalties all year. It's what dug the hole they were in from the get go.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
The reffing is clearly rigged to help the big market teams? Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver say "hi".

The NHL needs to grow fans. Working to keep Canadian teams in does nothing. Working to keep highly marketable American teams in does something. Hence the Kings, Rangers, Blackhawks, Penguins, Bruins, and Red Wings have all advanced. Some with the aid of questionable officiating when needed.

It's a lot like herding, sometimes the herd can get out of control and go somewhere you don't want it to, but gentle prods here and there can allow you to dictate the overall momentum. To think that a league doesn't get involved is idiotic and naive to the extreme. Just look at suspensions and fines for one thing. Completely subjective. Look at calls against players fouling star players in any league.

The Caps just don't have the mental fortitude to become a stampede that won't be contained. They just lie down and take it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Saying the reffing was bad and saying the Caps weren't good enough are not mutually exclusive. Caps aren't a good ES team. The reffing (at least the portion that was rather lenient on the Rags) took away a major weapon, and the Caps weren't good enough to overcome.

Clearly they weren't good enough to overcome it that much is true. The question is just how great of a hurdle was it?

I've never heard Ovechkin so boldly speak out about the refs and I don't believe in his whole tenure GMGM has spoken up this loudly either.

I have never heard Joe B, Locker, Koken, and May (altho Alan is relatively new to the group) speak out so harshly.

Say what you will but it was pretty bad and it would have taken something else to rise above it. They did relatively well and kept themselves in games for sure. Their PK was 26 for 28 which is outstanding.

But it did take its toll. Our aggression eroded after the first half of game 3.

Refs+Lundqvuist is alot to climb over.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Clearly they weren't good enough to overcome it that much is true. The question is just how great of a hurdle was it?

I've never heard Ovechkin so boldly speak out about the refs and I don't believe in his whole tenure GMGM has spoken up this loudly either.

I have never heard Joe B, Locker, Koken, and May (altho Alan is relatively new to the group) speak out so harshly.

Say what you will but it was pretty bad and it would have taken something else to rise above it. They did relatively well and kept themselves in games for sure. Their PK was 26 for 28 which is outstanding.

But it did take its toll. Our aggression eroded after the first half of game 3.

Refs+Lundqvuist is alot to climb over.
Which makes you wonder why Ted has been so quiet about the refs considering how much power he has as a BoG member. #MonumentalConspiracy

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Which makes you wonder why Ted has been so quiet about the refs considering how much power he has as a BoG member. #MonumentalConspiracy

EJ Hradek on NHL Live commented again on this topic. Now know that the NHL Network is clearly on the side of the NHL but still..

He acknowledged the officiating being one sided and suggested that the Caps should have really come out during the series and tried to work the refs. He mentioned this after game 6 too.

I think it was a mistake not to personally. Who knows if it would have helped but they should have tried.

Hradek attributed to Adam Oates being a 1st year coach who made a mistake.

I believe they should have said something right after game 4. I don't know what purpose it served to come out after the series and make a big deal about it but I guess I'd rather them bring it up late than never.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
The NHL needs to grow fans. Working to keep Canadian teams in does nothing. Working to keep highly marketable American teams in does something. Hence the Kings, Rangers, Blackhawks, Penguins, Bruins, and Red Wings have all advanced. Some with the aid of questionable officiating when needed.

It's a lot like herding, sometimes the herd can get out of control and go somewhere you don't want it to, but gentle prods here and there can allow you to dictate the overall momentum. To think that a league doesn't get involved is idiotic and naive to the extreme. Just look at suspensions and fines for one thing. Completely subjective. Look at calls against players fouling star players in any league.

The Caps just don't have the mental fortitude to become a stampede that won't be contained. They just lie down and take it.

That's more like it. It's gotta be somebody elses fault when you can't close out a series' (Montreal / NYR). Erskine gotta taste of his own medicine and wilted.

Weak minds. Hated to hear the king of embellishment and charging voice his displeasure.

Ribeiro complained all season. It's the one thing I really disliked about him.

Meltdown in Chocolatetown coinciding with a Capital choke.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
That's more like it. It's gotta be somebody elses fault when you can't close out a series' (Montreal / NYR). Erskine gotta taste of his own medicine and wilted.

Weak minds. Hated to hear the king of embellishment and charging voice his displeasure.

Ribeiro complained all season. It's the one thing I really disliked about him.

Meltdown in Chocolatetown coinciding with a Capital choke.

which, from what i've seen/heard over the course of this season, has been an issue with him for a long time.

maybe thats it? maybe the refs this series had heard enough of him over the years that it was payback time! LOL

that makes me think of the boston game back in 02 or 03, and the reffing conspiracy that one elicited. BTCG makes mention of it every now and again, how something went on during the game and ronnie, as he was wont to do, trotted out peat for his token shift and he promptly fought stock.

the way the caps games were called after that, circumstancial evidence-ally speaking, was way biased against the caps. cant recall the specifics, but something like several games with either no PPs, or similar to games 3 - 7 of the rags series where the other teams got vastly more PP time than the caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->