Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals: Pt. 2

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I just realized Crosby scored more in 7 minutes of his 1st round series after missing a month than Ovechkin scored in 7 games.

Liberati0n*

So whether a player is accountable or not is now decided by when he does an interview after his season ended? I thought it maybe depends on playing well in the elimination game...

No, it's decided by bonafide Real Fans.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's a big difference between criticizing him for not scoring (legitimate) and criticizing him for doing his exit interview a day early (ridiculous).

Is suggesting the Captain of the team stay around and put in a little more effort than a 15 min "see ya later, gotta run off to the Worlds" meeting, criticism?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think CapitalsCupFantasy and his gang needs to set an official mourning period. It may change from year to year. Then he should send a memo to the Caps players.

What players are allowed to do during the mourning period:
- Feel shame
- Talk about how bad they played in the media
- And feel shame

What players are not allowed to do during the mourning period:
- Play hockey
- Talk to the media about anything else other than how bad they played
- Have fun of any kind
- Leave DC Area (with an exception for players who go to their farms to do hard job, run, train and feel shame, e.g. Laich)

Hey dude, nice attempt at humor. Maybe the Rangers board would find it amusing. Next troll attempt?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Confused.

I understand getting out of work and throwing off the work clothes as a priority but he was still representing the team.

Small issue, but a bit of an odd visual to have of our leader to close out the year. Especially coupled with his comments, which I for one am ok with. I just wish Oates or McPhee went to battle after games 3 or 4 and not let it snowball to the point that it affected players and clearly our Captain, and thus the entire series. Oates and McFlee did nothing.

Calling out the league's ways to the media has worked before. I have seen it.

Worked for Phil Jackson and Pat Riley for how many championships? Lobbying for fair reffing in the media may cost them $$ in fines, but that's been recouped in multiple championships.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I feel like I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Confused.

I understand getting out of work and throwing off the work clothes as a priority but he was still representing the team.

Small issue, but a bit of an odd visual to have of our leader to close out the year. Especially coupled with his comments, which I for one am ok with. I just wish Oates or McPhee went to battle after games 3 or 4 and not let it snowball to the point that it affected players and clearly our Captain, and thus the entire series. Oates and McFlee did nothing.
Calling out the league's ways to the media has worked before. I have seen it.

Well it was reported that GMGM was in contact with the league from game 3 and further I am sure.

I do agree that we should have went public with it earlier. Hindsight is 20/20.

It probably wouldn't have done a darn thing anyhow. The refs (league?) were hellbent on getting a certain outcome.

I'm ok with Ovie going public as well. He has and will get skewered for those comments.

I can honestly say that this series (not a single game or two in the series mind you) was lost on the direct result of officiating. I've never said that before about a series the Caps lost. Did we play like crap game 7? Yep. But this should have been over in 5.

The closest? 09 vs Pitt but in all honesty Pitt deserved that series and rightfully so. Varlamov kept us in it.

This time around? Not so much. I get sick thinking about it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well it was reported that GMGM was in contact with the league from game 3 and further I am sure.

It probably wouldn't have done a darn thing anyhow. The refs (league?) were hellbent on getting a certain outcome.

I'm ok with Ovie going public as well. He has and will get skewered for those comments.

I can honestly say that this series (not a single game or two in the series mind you) was lost on the direct result of officiating. I've never said that before about a series the Caps lost. Did we play like crap game 7? Yep. But this should have been over in 5.

The closest? 09 vs Pitt but in all honesty Pitt deserved that series and rightfully so. Varlamov kept us in it.

This just makes every Caps fan look bad. Nothing but excuses. :shakehead

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What is there to put more effort into when the season's done? And how is having the meeting a day earlier less effort?

Should I keep answering you with questions like you're doing to me, or would you rather answer first then ask?

Suggesting a Captain stick around for a post postseason "lessons learned" type of thing doesn't seem absurd to me, but I'm in the business world, not the sports world. Maybe in all sports, the losing players are all immediately excused to run off, lick their wounds and ready themselves for the next year. Certainly nobody would be insulted if it came to light that the Captain stayed around and suddenly showed an interest in the team, what happened, what can be improved upon for next year, etc. 15 mins to do that seems like a joke to me.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Should I keep answering you with questions like you're doing to me, or would you rather answer first then ask?

Suggesting a Captain stick around for a post postseason "lessons learned" type of thing doesn't seem absurd to me, but I'm in the business world, not the sports world. Maybe in all sports, the losing players are all immediately excused to run off, lick their wounds and ready themselves for the next year. Certainly nobody would be insulted if it came to light that the Captain stayed around and suddenly showed an interest in the team, what happened, what can be improved upon for next year, etc. 15 mins to do that seems like a joke to me.

Now isn't the time to do that. He'll have plenty of time to do that after the worlds. It's May ffs. Oates is still evaluating the series himself. There's no point in OV staying here. I can't believe we're still talking about this.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

You're nitpicking Ovechkin for something completely irrelevant. I don't know of one example in professional sports where players hang around and somehow show their leadership after the season ends.

I'm still not getting how doing the same exact thing he did yesterday one day later would make any difference.

Liberati0n*

You have to wonder if the losers in the Capitals' front office even went to business school. Probably not. :shakehead:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You're nitpicking Ovechkin for something completely irrelevant. I don't know of one example in professional sports where players hang around and somehow show their leadership after the season ends.

I'm still not getting how doing the same exact thing he did yesterday one day later would make any difference.

In your eyes...but hey, let's keep detracting from the real issue by *****ing over this issue. The behavior is accepted and expected by fans, I've moved on.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Now isn't the time to do that. He'll have plenty of time to do that after the worlds. It's May ffs. Oates is still evaluating the series himself. There's no point in OV staying here. I can't believe we're still talking about this.

I can't either...NBTW keeps beating the drum. In the big picture of issues, it's a drop in the bucket to me.

Liberati0n*

In your eyes...but hey, let's keep detracting from the real issue by *****ing over this issue. The behavior is accepted and expected by fans, I've moved on.

Weird that a bunch of people who didn't even go to business school learned to appreciate mediocrity so much.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

The only people detracting from the real issue by *****ing over this issue are the ones, you know, actually *****ing over it.

I think it should be ignored, as it's completely irrelevant and says nothing about the makeup of the team or anyone's leadership

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
This just makes every Caps fan look bad. Nothing but excuses. :shakehead

its not an excuse, and he's correct, although i wouldnt go so far to say the reffing was a direct cause for the loss.

the way the series was called, starting with game 3, is so blatantly biased against the caps it's ridiculous. it was almost a 3 to 1 disparity over the course of 5 games.

again, it's not the penalties the caps took, although some you just have to shake your head....it's the calls that werent on the rags, when they were doing the same things that cap players were being whistled for.

it was an additional obstacle for them, something the rags didnt have to worry about. that's a huge level of confidence boost for the rags and draining one for the caps. rags could play their game with ease, the caps ( i'm sure ) were having those nano-second second thoughts, and that hurts confidence and the ability to get in a groove.

ovechkin's physical play disappeared for a few games, then came back strong in 7. i'm willing to bet he toned it down out of fear of being called for something. by the time 7 rolled around, it was go or go home, so he ramped it back up.

Vladiator16*

I couldn't write it better if i wanted to. Thats why i truly don't know what to expect from OV and thus from this team next year.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have no problem with Ovie's comments. The officiating in the NHL sucks and is clearly directed to promote big market teams.

That said, Caps need to learn to find a way to win, and fast. **** happens and you need to play through it.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I have no problem with Ovie's comments. The officiating in the NHL sucks and is clearly directed to promote big market teams.

That said, Caps need to learn to find a way to win, and fast. **** happens and you need to play through it.

Well said, CCF.

Perhaps I can interest you in the spokes:

:bruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad