ECQF: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers | Pittsburgh Leads Series 3-2

who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I was not referring to them as much as the kids in their organization.

I believe that there are five playing who they consider their future who are playing in their first playoffs. And they have several years of talent who should be joining the team season after season.

Do you think any of them will be better than Giroux?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Do you think any of them will be better than Giroux?

I will not get into those projections.

I am merely saying, and sadly so as I loved watching them keep trying to build a Broad Street Bullies long after it was shown that it was a relic, that the Flyers finally are building right and have a lot of talent coming up to build around. And getting the kids some playoff experience will only help with that process.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Why don't we stop worrying about urinals and try talking hockey? As in... where are we in the series? In my opinion, this is what i have:

- Pens threw the first punch and knocked the Flyers down.
- Flyers got up, took a few more punches, but landed some nice ones and stole Game 2.
- Flyers came out on fire for Game 3, probably deserved the game, but lost once the Pens started to click.

I think the Pens have carried the majority of the play but I think this is still wide open. As we talked about early in the discussion thread, the Flyers need the bounces. In Game 2, they got 'em. In Games 1/3, they lost the lucky bounces to the Pens. I don't think Elliott is playing laughable or anything like that. the shots that are going in are solid. Mur weathered one heck of a storm in Game 3.

This is a lot closer than many want to believe albeit these games aren't even close.
I think the Flyers basically came out of the corner throwing haymakers hoping to land one in Game 3.

I'd said about 10 minutes into the game that the Flyers couldn't keep that pace up. Once the first period ended and they didn't have the lead - I was pretty sure they were cooked. Every game, you can point to a few things and say "Well, if [x, y, or z] happens, then this could have been totally different" but I try to look at each teams' success and see if one method is more sustainable than the other.

The Pens won Games 1 & 3 following their blueprint. Forecheck, speed, superstars being superstars, solid goalie play. That's completely sustainable because that's exactly what they've done since Sully came to town.

Philly won Game 2 by Elliot standing on his head and getting a lead which forced the Pens to play without as much attention to detail defensively. It's not impossible for them to repeat this formula but I just don't think they were really dictating terms for that one (which is strange to say when they won 5-1). I don't think the Flyers can outpunch the Pens. Having Elliot stand on his head and getting leads is really the only way I can see them winning games in this series - and even when those things happened for them, they were still outplayed pretty easily.

So while I think the Flyers still have a chance, I don't think it's been a very even series overall. Even if there are handfuls of plays that can swing entire games - it's pretty much going to come down to Elliot playing like Game 2 in at least 3 more games for the Flyers to win and I don't see that happening.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
fy8wnjomg4s01.jpg

5knQvYP.png

Stay classy Philadelphia
Philly gets no respect from this guy! Lame fans.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would agree if the coaches were reversed.

We talked about this before the series started.

The Flyers have some real matchup issues and need everything to go right to win. The Pens by way of comparison have multiple ways toward advancing to the second round in who can get hot, etc. I doubt that even Flyers' fans would disagree.

That means that the Flyers need a game plan to mask as much as possible their issues in this series, specifically the depth matchups in .... I hate to say it but in forward, defense and goal. I think that a Babcock, a Sully can do that. I have zero faith that Hakstol can do it.

I am just being realistic and zero in the first three games has shown me otherwise. The Pens arguably won at least six, and could make the case for eight, of the nine periods.

Yeah if you followed Sullivans comments between periods and after the game, the Pens planned on weathering a storm the first part of that game... did you notice how they were collapsing and playing as conservative as that team gets... that probably led to the Flyers controlling play early... once the Pens got a feel for the strategy and the lead, they had the better play more often than not...

It could have turned ugly, but we all know that if you hold off an early onslaught you are likely to win that game...

In game 2 the pens really controlled the pace and had Elliot beat often but failed to finish...

I think that while there was a chance this could be 2-1 Flyers, it could very easily be 3-0 pens, and I don't think the Flyers have the coach or goalie to win this series

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I will not get into those projections.

I am merely saying, and sadly so as I loved watching them keep trying to build a Broad Street Bullies long after it was shown that it was a relic, that the Flyers finally are building right and have a lot of talent coming up to build around. And getting the kids some playoff experience will only help with that process.
They aren't building the right way though. They aren't just looking at the short term anymore, but at the same time don't have a path to become a cup favorite either without something unexpected happening. When their young players are all in their prime, Giroux and Voracek will be well past theirs, leaving Patrick as likely their best forward.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
They aren't building the right way though. They aren't just looking at the short term anymore, but at the same time don't have a path to become a cup favorite either without something unexpected happening. When their young players are all in their prime, Giroux and Voracek will be well past theirs, leaving Patrick as likely their best forward.

Congrats on knowing nothing about the Flyers farm system.

Reactions: Vancouver Canucks

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Not sure how the two are related. That their current core is getting older is irrelevant. You point out exactly the point. They no longer are looking short term and finally are building the correct way and having some true success doing so. Sure they need more parts but a good young core is being established.

What are you arguing bringing up Giroux and company? To do differently?

I don't like it at all but Philly has a pretty good future and base to build on.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Not sure how the two are related. That their current core is getting older is irrelevant. You point out exactly the point. They no longer are looking short term and finally are building the correct way and having some true success doing so. Sure they need more parts but a good young core is being established.

I don't like it at all but Philly has a pretty good future and base to build on.

What makes their future any better than New Jersey, NYI, or Carolina for example? All those metro teams have good young pieces.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

The problem is it's near impossible to acquire game-changing forwards unless you are drafting in the top 5. That's why it's not enough to just rebuild, you need to time everything right so you are able to get those impact forwards along with a strong supporting cast.

Also, good young base when the best forward is Konecny (who to be fair is a darn good player) doesn't add up. The goal is to win the cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeedleInTheHay

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Why do they need to? The Flyers have no depth and no goalies right now. The Flyers prospect wise are incredibly deep at just about every position.
If their goal is just to be a consistent playoff team like the past 40 years, then they don't. If they want to win a cup, it is critical they get a guy who can truly carry a line.

The Flyers best 3 forwards all had career years and still only made the POs on the last day of their season. As at least 2 of those 3 inevitably decline, new players will need to not only step up, but become legitimate 1st line guys for the Flyers to take that next step.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
If their goal is just to be a consistent playoff team like the past 40 years, then they don't. If they want to win a cup, it is critical they get a guy who can truly carry a line.

The Flyers best 3 forwards all had career years and still only made the POs on the last day of their season. As at least 2 of those 3 inevitably decline, new players will need to not only step up, but become legitimate 1st line guys for the Flyers to take that next step.

...and why can’t they?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I love these guys, but not their best effort IMO. They usually do this for each game, including Pens and enjoying their own fans maybe even more. They did not for game 2 for whatever reason or I would have linked it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad