ECQF: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers | Pittsburgh Leads Series 3-2

who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why don't we stop worrying about urinals and try talking hockey? As in... where are we in the series? In my opinion, this is what i have:

- Pens threw the first punch and knocked the Flyers down.
- Flyers got up, took a few more punches, but landed some nice ones and stole Game 2.
- Flyers came out on fire for Game 3, probably deserved the game, but lost once the Pens started to click.

I think the Pens have carried the majority of the play but I think this is still wide open. As we talked about early in the discussion thread, the Flyers need the bounces. In Game 2, they got 'em. In Games 1/3, they lost the lucky bounces to the Pens. I don't think Elliott is playing laughable or anything like that. the shots that are going in are solid. Mur weathered one heck of a storm in Game 3.

This is a lot closer than many want to believe albeit these games aren't even close.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Giroux couldn't lead a horse to water if he lived on a lake. However if you wanted a couple meaningless points when the score is out of reach then he is your man. Theres a reason Team Canada passes on him.

I mean...no. Giroux is a great player who should've been on Team Canada. It's a team sport. Giroux can't be soley blamed for the Flyers lack of playoff success.

He was fantastic in their cup run... but just happened to run into an all time great team in the Hawks.

63 points in 66 playoff games is fine. He's not been the problem.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I mean...no. Giroux is a great player who should've been on Team Canada. It's a team sport. Giroux can't be soley blamed for the Flyers lack of playoff success.

He was fantastic in their cup run... but just happened to run into an all time great team in the Hawks.

63 points in 66 playoff games is fine. He's not been the problem.

Unlike Ovechkin who is getting unfair blame in his thread it is legit to blame him of late because he has not been producing of late. One point this series, no goals in quite a while. He needs to do better for the Flyers to succeed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why don't we stop worrying about urinals and try talking hockey? As in... where are we in the series? In my opinion, this is what i have:

- Flyers got up, took a few more punches, but landed some nice ones and stole Game 2.
- Flyers came out on fire for Game 3, probably deserved the game, but lost once the Pens started to click.

I think the Pens have carried the majority of the play but I think this is still wide open. As we talked about early in the discussion thread, the Flyers need the bounces. In Game 2, they got 'em. In Games 1/3, they lost the lucky bounces to the Pens. I don't think Elliott is playing laughable or anything like that. the shots that are going in are solid. Mur weathered one heck of a storm in Game 3.

This is a lot closer than many want to believe albeit these games aren't even close.

I thought the Pens were the better team in Game 2, but didn't get the bounces and lost. I thought the Flyers were the better team for a lot of stretches of Game 3, but didn't get the bounces and lost. The only game where the clearly better team won was Game 1.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought the Pens were the better team in Game 2, but didn't get the bounces and lost. I thought the Flyers were the better team for a lot of stretches of Game 3, but didn't get the bounces and lost. The only game where the clearly better team won was Game 1.

Completely agree. I thought we deserved to be up 2-0 if that G2 is played 10 times, we would win the majority. And if G3 was played 10 times, we'd lose the majority. I think 2-1 is a fair representation of this series.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I wouldn't mock or criticize Giroux; he's great player, nor do I think this series is over. Pens have won two due to the fact they have some supreme skill on the team, but the team isn't rolling yet--but they better not wait too long, the Flyers are dangerous.

Regarding the urinal scheme, that seems like something Caps fans would do (yes, that's an insult). Raise the bar Philly.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

I'll agree with this. I also think a 2 day break between 3 and 4 benefits the loser of game 3, being the Flyers. Maybe this will turn into a series, but these games haven't felt "real." Like, they haven't felt like playoff games, or even really hockey games.

The longest stretch of even strength play in game 3 was the first 11:55. After that, there was about a 6 minute run in the late second period between the end of a power play and the start of the next, but it was mostly special teams for the last 60% of regulation.

In the first period of game 2, only one penalty was called. The teams played even strength for 18:30 up until then. After that, there wasn't anything called until 7:32 was gone in the second. The rest of the game was pretty much special teams scenarios from there, too.

Game 1 had the fewest calls, a normal-ish 8 power plays total. But that game was over around the halfway mark of regulation anyway.

It just seems like these games are turning into a long exchange of PPs, which is not very interesting, and is also an opportunity for the team in the lead to just blow the other out. Definitely benefits the Pens' lethal PP against the Flyers' trash PK. I want to see a real game, though.

Of course, most of the calls have been valid-the Flyers were high sticking a lot of folks, and the refs have even been missing blatant calls both ways. I don't know what's best here.

Reactions: Amen evil king

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep, both teams are taking too many dumb/avoidable penalties. Flyers with high sticks, pens with trips, etc. Hopefully game 4 has some better flow. And hopefully it's because the players are smarter, not because the refs "let them play".

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
yep, both teams are taking too many dumb/avoidable penalties. Flyers with high sticks, pens with trips, etc. Hopefully game 4 has some better flow. And hopefully it's because the players are smarter, not because the refs "let them play".

And it's not a mistake that the first 10-15 minutes of each of these games, which have had the fewest penalties, have been the most exciting back-and-forth stretches of the series. It's not like the 2 teams are playing them super clean, I think the refs don't want to start calling things right off the bat. Just need some consistency here.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Unlike Ovechkin who is getting unfair blame in his thread it is legit to blame him of late because he has not been producing of late. One point this series, no goals in quite a while. He needs to do better for the Flyers to succeed.

On the long stretch pass that led to Columbus's first goal, Ovechkn had been hanging out in front of Bob's net waiting for a pass for around 10 seconds. When the puck ended up in the left corner instead of in front of the net, he looked at it and skated off the ice without realizing/caring his defense was also changing. Columbus defender goes and gets it unopposed (Kuznetsov skated over and gave a little pressure after he'd already secured it) and springs Atkinson.

It's the little things, especially in the playoffs, that make Ovechkin frustrating. I mean, he had 2 important goals, but he could have easily prevented one (and a very important one that gave Columbus life/momentum) with some basic situational awareness. If he just goes and ties up that puck his team completes the change and the goal doesn't happen.

But what do I know, it's HF, no one watches for the little things.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
To be fair with the no playoff goals in 4 years for Giroux thing that's only like 10 games. I'm pretty sure Sid may have had a drought like that as well at one point but it's less noticeable because the Pens have played so many playoff games over the past few seasons. It's true that Giroux hasn't looked great in this series but I'm not sure who has for the Flyers outside of maybe Konecny. IMO Couturier and Ghostisbehere have both looked worse than Giroux and aren't getting nearly as much negative attention.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll agree with this. I also think a 2 day break between 3 and 4 benefits the loser of game 3, being the Flyers. Maybe this will turn into a series, but these games haven't felt "real." Like, they haven't felt like playoff games, or even really hockey games.

The longest stretch of even strength play in game 3 was the first 11:55. After that, there was about a 6 minute run in the late second period between the end of a power play and the start of the next, but it was mostly special teams for the last 60% of regulation.

In the first period of game 2, only one penalty was called. The teams played even strength for 18:30 up until then. After that, there wasn't anything called until 7:32 was gone in the second. The rest of the game was pretty much special teams scenarios from there, too.

Game 1 had the fewest calls, a normal-ish 8 power plays total. But that game was over around the halfway mark of regulation anyway.

It just seems like these games are turning into a long exchange of PPs, which is not very interesting, and is also an opportunity for the team in the lead to just blow the other out. Definitely benefits the Pens' lethal PP against the Flyers' trash PK. I want to see a real game, though.

Of course, most of the calls have been valid-the Flyers were high sticking a lot of folks, and the refs have even been missing blatant calls both ways. I don't know what's best here.

I think a big part of the reason this series hasn't felt like a typical playoff series is because all three games have essentially been blowouts. Apart from maybe the first period of two of the games, each of the three games has essentially been over about halfway through the 2nd period. So I think that's taken some of the intensity out of the series since it's not like it's been tied or one goal leads for the majority of the 60 minutes.

I think we'll see a more "playoff feel" to a game when one of these games is actually close and the outcome isn't known until the very end of the game.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Can't wait for the 7-0 Flyers win on Wednesday
max_talbot_shh.jpeg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I would agree if the coaches were reversed.

We talked about this before the series started.

The Flyers have some real matchup issues and need everything to go right to win. The Pens by way of comparison have multiple ways toward advancing to the second round in who can get hot, etc. I doubt that even Flyers' fans would disagree.

That means that the Flyers need a game plan to mask as much as possible their issues in this series, specifically the depth matchups in .... I hate to say it but in forward, defense and goal. I think that a Babcock, a Sully can do that. I have zero faith that Hakstol can do it.

I am just being realistic and zero in the first three games has shown me otherwise. The Pens arguably won at least six, and could make the case for eight, of the nine periods.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And Cole, some analytics to back up the devil's choice that Philly has. Although you hardly need analytics to know this, seeing them does bring it home in spades. As you can see it effects not only the unblocked shots that Philly generates 5v5 FOR but AGAINST as well.

So the question is do you keep them together and pray about the matchups to follow, or do you break them up and pray that history can change?

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Thinking on the above, and how you essentially neuter the two best weapons you have by splitting them up AND completely open yourself up to a boatload of 5v5 shots, I likely roll the dice on keeping them together. It is not like Philly has perfect choices here, and those two are what brought them to the playoffs.

Keep them together and roll the dice that the rest of the team finds God and a scoring touch.

Meanwhile Hakstol is looking for an avenue. Not a street or boulevard mind you. But an avenue.

So far it has been a cul-de-sac intersecting with a dead end.

Last edited:

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Heh, getting old and the years running together.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to, swept by Ottawa but great experience for the kids.

It’s really not like that at all. Crosby was 19, Giroux is 30.

Giroux, Voracek, and Couterier have all been to the playoffs multiple times already, why didn’t that fuel the years run?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It’s really not like that at all. Crosby was 19, Giroux is 30.

Giroux, Voracek, and Couterier have all been to the playoffs multiple times already, why didn’t that fuel the years run?

I was not referring to them as much as the kids in their organization.

I believe that there are five playing who they consider their future who are playing in their first playoffs. And they have several years of talent who should be joining the team season after season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad