ECQF: (2) Boston Bruins vs. (3) Toronto Maple Leafs | Series Tied at 3

Which team wins game 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Backes dropped his gloves and started punching Hyman in the face, Hyman was trying to get away from him. Gardiner held him gently to stop his player from being jumped. Chara comes in and punches Gardiner in the face and gives him another shot and Gardiner runs away. He was called for roughing, which he did not commit. They didn't give them majors, which is the only time you can call 3rd man in. If they did give them majors and wanted to call Gardiner 3rd man in. They should have given Backes a fighting major, 2 min for instigating and a game misconduct, while Hyman gets a roughing call. While still giving Chara a minor for roughing. That call was wetaded.

I saw backes jump Hyman, gardiner come in to hymans defense by grabbing backes’ arms and then defenseless hyman who was trying to get away all of a sudden when he had an oppurtunity to flee as he wanted started hitting backes while gardiner was holding backes. Now the refs didn’t call a fight they called roughing and doubled up backes as he was the instigator of a non fight which negates any technical 3rd man in call. But they likely didn’t appreciate what gardiner did in that scuffle so they matched them all up. Did you see something else? The b’s didn’t get a powerplay out of this exchange anyway

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I saw backes jump Hyman, gardiner come in to hymans defense by grabbing backes’ arms and then defenseless hyman who was trying to get away all of a sudden when he had an oppurtunity to flee as he wanted started hitting backes while gardiner was holding backes. Now the refs didn’t call a fight they called roughing and doubled up backes as he was the instigator of a non fight which negates any technical 3rd man in call. But they likely didn’t appreciate what gardiner did in that scuffle so they matched them all up. Did you see something else? The b’s didn’t get a powerplay out of this exchange anyway
I'm sure he saw Chara throwing punches at Gardiner with no call.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Was that before or after gardiner was holding backes for hyman to tee off?
After, both immediately and then again once they were completely separated (Gardiner from that pile).

Not sure how the timing would change anything though.

Have to laugh at "Hyman Teeing off" on Backes there with his gloves on while Backes is throwing punches.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
After, both immediately and then again once they were completely separated (Gardiner from that pile).

Have to laugh at "Hyman Teeing off" on Backes there with his gloves on while Backes is throwing punches.

I agree that backes was the aggressor but backes wasn’t punching when gardiner grabbed his arms

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Could you imagine if they did? Holy shit, that would've started a riot in Toronto.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I agree that backes was the aggressor but backes wasn’t punching when gardiner grabbed his arms
Looks like he's right in the middle of a shot as Gardiner comes in.

Either way, I don't see a reasonable explanation for how that comes out even. Backes instigated, Backes has his gloves off and 3 players throw punches (Chara, Backes, Hyman). Want to call Gardiner? Gotta call Chara.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Looks like he's right in the middle of a shot as Gardiner comes in.

Either way, I don't see a reasonable explanation for how that comes out even. Backes instigated, Backes has his gloves off and 3 players throw punches (Chara, Backes, Hyman). Want to call Gardiner? Gotta call Chara.

Okay. Call chara then for a makeup call tomorrow. but Bergeron doesn’t get thrown out of the dot anymore because the refs are afraid of Babcock whining to bettman

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Okay. Call chara then for a makeup call tomorrow. but Bergeron doesn’t get thrown out of the dot anymore because the refs are afraid of Babcock whining to bettman
Is this you taking your ball and going home? What does Bergeron or the face-offs have anything to do with what I said?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Bergeron was getting thrown out because he was cheating on the draw. He doesnt put his stick down before puck drop, which is for whatever reason a false start. Hey I'm not a fan of the rule, but the rule is there.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Is this you taking your ball and going home? What does Bergeron or the face-offs have anything to do with what I said?

I assume your underlying theme is that the refs are trying to undermine the leafs ability to win the series and if Boston wins it won’t be the leafs fault, it will be a conspiracy about the penalties the refs called. To me the series has been officiated fine (from a Boston fan point of view). There’s been some iffy calls both ways and some iffy non calls both ways. No matter who wins the series unless the officials do something out of character I won’t be blaming the officials if Boston loses. Toronto has been called for some ticky tack things. Boston has that delay of game and the huge disadvantage by the linesmen warning Toronto centers and ousting Boston centers. The fact is, the better team has won 3 out of the 5 games. The other 2 are split between Boston and Toronto wins due to significantly better goaltending. So the better team will win. I just came into the conversation to try to bring in a counter point to all the incessant whining

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I assume your underlying theme is that the refs are trying to undermine the leafs ability to win the series and if Boston wins it won’t be the leafs fault, it will be a conspiracy about the penalties the refs called. To me the series has been officiated fine (from a Boston fan point of view). There’s been some iffy calls both ways and some iffy non calls both ways. No matter who wins the series unless the officials do something out of character I won’t be blaming the officials if Boston loses. Toronto has been called for some ticky tack things. Boston has that delay of game and the huge disadvantage by the linesmen warning Toronto centers and ousting Boston centers. The fact is, the better team has won 3 out of the 5 games. The other 2 are split between Boston and Toronto wins due to significantly better goaltending. So the better team will win. I just came into the conversation to try to bring in a counter point to all the incessant whining
Nah, I'm blaming Andersen mostly for where this series is. Refs were awful last game, I don't think it was a conspiracy, just poorly handled and they were trying to manage the game then it snowballed. No way the PP'S should have been 6-1, but that can happen when you call the score which is what happened there.

The Leafs won the game with the worst calls, so it hasn't impacted the series so far.

Reactions: wintersej

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Nah, I'm blaming Andersen mostly for where this series is. Refs were awful last game, I don't think it was a conspiracy, just poorly handled and they were trying to manage the game then it snowballed. No way the PP'S should have been 6-1, but that can happen when you call the score which is what happened there.

The Leafs won the game with the worst calls, so it hasn't impacted the series so far.

I’d say games 1 and 2 defensive breakdowns by Toronto and allowing the Bergeron line too much time and space were the biggest factors in Toronto’s loss. I mean pastrnak was comfortable enough to go between the legs in front on one goal, and had enough time on a rush to gather a puck off the back wall and step right out front unmolested. Game 3 Toronto tightened up on that front and outplayed Boston. Game 4 Boston was outplayed again but rask stole them a game. Game 5 Toronto got 2 quick goals on a terrible rask but the final 2 periods while under siege Anderson made a lot of big saves and kept Toronto out front. Game 6 should be another game Toronto outplays Boston but it comes down to if rask can steal another. For one of the top paid goalies in the league I’d like to think he’s good for 2 thefts per series. Doesn’t mean it will happen though

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Okay, and Cassidy can't whine to the refs anymore about icing on the stretch passes, and Boston players can't flop and dive like European soccer players. Can we also get a call on Chara for the highstick to the face of van Riemsdyk that was right in front of the ref and didn't get called? ;)

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Okay, and Cassidy can't whine to the refs anymore about icing on the stretch passes, and Boston players can't flop and dive like European soccer players. Can we also get a call on Chara for the highstick to the face of van Riemsdyk that was right in front of the ref and didn't get called? ;)
I’ll agree to this if we start handing out suspensions when the Bambis target Leafs players with blatant headshots?

Marchand, Schaller, Wingels is a good start.

Maybe even just penalties?

Reactions: 1specter

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Having to laugh at all of this.

Honestly, a bunch of Toronto fans in this that keep whining about minor stuff sound like 5 year olds that just got there sandwich stolen from the family dog.

Grow up for christ sakes.

Reactions: TD Charlie

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I concur! Thought it was just me,but what is it with the Boston players going down so often? They do something dirty/questionable when engaging a Leaf player and then pretend to fall down! Are they trying to fool the the 'easily fooled refs' ?. I wonder if it is a pre-planned strategy ,I mean it works for Marchand...anyhow it seems to be effective!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Except Chara obviously deserved a penalty for his Gardiner altercation, and that Dermott penalty happens multiple times a game with no call.

The standard the refs set wasn't consistent and this is what has caused the complaints

I don't personally think that Chara, or many other players in any sweater get a call in that circumstance (or if they do, the other player, Gardiner gets a bit more) simply because it's a 2 players on 1 and the 4th guy comes in to pull one off of him. That's usually how that goes. We can disagree. That's fine. I understand why you think he should've but...

There was definitely a couple calls, non-calls, both ways, and I'm sure we could both come up with a couple - but the bulk that made it appear lopsided were a few 'automatic' penalties that came in short order.

I don't mind that they weren't calling the cross-checks and stuff but it's kinda disingenuous to think the refs really favoured the Bruins as once T.O. got their lead they tried to muck it up and were walking that line for the rest of the game. I've watched Boston do it enough times myself, especially against the Habs, were they're trying to make a statement and got themselves in penalty trouble. T.O. was on their heels and it was their response. It's fine. But it definitely wasn't as lopsided penalty wise as it could've been as Boston had the puck and Toronto was playing on their heels.

Drat, now I've joined in this 'reffing' conversation.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Did the refs appreciate Chara punching Gardiner in the face?

The fact that Gardiner gets a penalty and Chara doesn’t in that exchange is utterly and absolutely ridiculous.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don't personally think that Chara, or many other players in any sweater get a call in that circumstance (or if they do, the other player, Gardiner gets a bit more) simply because it's a 2 players on 1 and the 4th guy comes in to pull one off of him. That's usually how that goes. We can disagree. That's fine. I understand why you think he should've but...

There was definitely a couple calls, non-calls, both ways, and I'm sure we could both come up with a couple - but the bulk that made it appear lopsided were a few 'automatic' penalties that came in short order.

I don't mind that they weren't calling the cross-checks and stuff but it's kinda disingenuous to think the refs really favoured the Bruins as once T.O. got their lead they tried to muck it up and were walking that line for the rest of the game. I've watched Boston do it enough times myself, especially against the Habs, were they're trying to make a statement and got themselves in penalty trouble. T.O. was on their heels and it was their response. It's fine. But it definitely wasn't as lopsided penalty wise as it could've been as Boston had the puck and Toronto was playing on their heels.

Drat, now I've joined in this 'reffing' conversation.
But Toronto wasn’t on their heels till all that penalty nonsense started. So that argument doesn’t hold up.

And how could you possibly think Gardiner (and not Chara) should get a penalty for being punched in the face.

Let’s also add... the whistles were almost entirely put away for the previous SEVEN periods before the leafs went up 4-1 and every penalty in the book was thrown at them. All while Chara is allowed to punch our player in the f***ing face.

It’s just too much. This is just too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
But Toronto wasn’t on their heels till all that penalty nonsense started. So that argument doesn’t hold up.

And how could you possibly think Gardiner (and not Chara) should get a penalty for being punched in the face.

Let’s also add... the whistles were almost entirely put away for the previous SEVEN periods before the leafs went up 4-1 and every penalty in the book was thrown at them. All while Chara is allowed to punch our player in the ****ing face.

It’s just too much. This is just too much.

Eh, that didn’t result in a powerplay for Boston. The delay of game penalty in game 3 however. That did result in a powerplay for Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->