Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
NHL playoffs 2018: Maple Leafs squeeze by Bruins, force a Game 6

marnerkadri-042118-getty-ftrjpg_nnlxwh8wfg4y1k7xiyxrgak2w.jpg

As the shots continued to pour in on Frederik Andersen in the third period, it was hard for one not to wonder, or even anticipate, a tying goal from the Boston Bruins.

More

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It’s pretty awesome that the Leafs have been able to shut down Bergeron offensively. He’s got a couple of lousy assists in blow out games but he’s never really looked like a huge threat to score. If the Leafs want to win this series, they need to do that for two more games. He was the thorn in the series in 2013. Leafs know he’s not a 100%, they need to finish him every chance they get on Monday.

If he gets a goal, he’ll have his confidence back.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
well if penalties are 6-1 in toronto's favor I would expect a win for sure. Somehow I doubt we'll be as fortunate though. Still think the Leafs take it though

Yeah, we are never going to get that lucky. No home cooking for the Leafs.

Boston makes questionable plays? Just a physical playoff game.
Leafs touch/breathe near Boston? That’s a penalty.

Hope the refs in Game 6 are anyone but the two clowns we had tonight. Even Tim Peel knows better.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah, we are never going to get that lucky. No home cooking for the Leafs.

Boston makes questionable plays? Just a physical playoff game.
Leafs touch/breathe near Boston? That’s a penalty.

Hope the refs in Game 6 are anyone but the two clowns we had tonight. Even Tim Peel knows better.
Yeah I love how the narrative from Boston fans is that the Leafs are soft and get bullied over the ice to the Leafs are undisciplined goons beating up on their poor boys. I guess that has to be the case to justify the hilariously lopsided officiating

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Really weak third by the Leafs - we sat back on the lead far too much - but aside from that it was actually a really solid road game. Being able to roll four fast, potent lines is a huge asset, but this was sort of neutralized in the second with all the penalty trouble. Kadri really changes the team’s identity with his tenacity and match-up ability. I certainly like our chances back on home ice.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I love how the narrative from Boston fans is that the Leafs are soft and get bullied over the ice to the Leafs are undisciplined goons beating up on their poor boys. I guess that has to be the case to justify the hilariously lopsided officiating

That game was reffed so bad it is hard to enjoy the win. How can you not be worried at what the refs will do in Game 6 after just watching that game?

At this point, I’ll just be glad if they let Boston get away with murder so long as they don’t call soft penalties on the Leafs. Let the game be decided by the players.

Refs tried hard tonight to influence the game tonight. Thank god our PK said f*** you to them.

I’m just not sure they can do that for 2 more games.

Don’t call a PP for us, no problem. Just officiate the game consistently. There is no way the Bruins committed just one foul the entire game while the Leafs committed six. Absolutely ridiculous.

Look at how the West is officiated vs how this game was officiated. It’s seem like there is a completely different rulebook only the refs have access to.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That game was reffed so bad it is hard to enjoy the win. How can you not be worried at what the refs will do in Game 6 after just watching that game?

At this point, I’ll just be glad if they let Boston get away with murder so long as they don’t call soft penalties on the Leafs. Let the game be decided by the players.

Refs tried hard tonight to influence the game tonight. Thank god our PK said **** you to them.

I’m just not sure they can do that for 2 more games.

Don’t call a PP for us, no problem. Just officiate the game consistently. There is no way the Bruins committed just one foul the entire game while the Leafs committed six. Absolutely ridiculous.

Look at how the West is officiated vs how this game was officiated. It’s seem like there is a completely different rulebook only the refs have access to.
I just hope it's the same as our last home games with just like 1-2 penalty calls. I guess Boston fears the big bad leafs pushing them around and want more calls though.

Game 7 will be a nightmare. I wouldn't be shocked if powerplays are 10-1 for the Bruins, unless they put the Leafs away

Reactions: Lilou

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Really weak third by the Leafs - we sat back on the lead far too much - but aside from that it was actually a really solid road game. Being able to roll four fast, potent lines is a huge asset, but this was sort of neutralized in the second with all the penalty trouble. Kadri really changes the team’s identity with his tenacity and match-up ability. I certainly like our chances back on home ice.

This is what Mike Babcock does, sit back on leads even when his team has the other team on the ropes and is playing faster on the night. Too conservative a coach in today's NHL to win four series imo unless he gets a better roster.

There's a reason why last season ago, the Leafs were constantly giving up lead after lead and having bad third periods.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What I am extremely impressed with is the progression of the Leafs as the games go on.
From the 2nd period in game 2 (even though they got demolished) you could see their play gradually get better.
Led to the game 3 victory and the great win tonight while getting the calls (mostly legit imo) go against them.

I want the leafs to win game 6 with the bruins winning a 2 OT game 7. What a nice series to witness.
If Matthews gets his game to a level we all know he can play at, we could see an upset in game 7.

Idk... and idc, I just want this series to keep going.

Feb 24, 2017
IN THIS THREAD-

Maple Leaf fans singing to the high heavens about the Boston Bruins league assisted advantage.

Let’s break them down into two factions.

A- those that took great delight in 2011 when the referees threw out the rule book and let Boston play WWE rules and ragdoll the speed and skill Canucks.

B- those that weren’t watching back then and are newer to hockey, cause Toronto is good now. Those are the only leafs fans in here that didn’t pile on the Canucks fans as whiny when the league let the bruins run wild with no rule book.

Reactions: Slimmy

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
What I am extremely impressed with is the progression of the Leafs as the games go on.
From the 2nd period in game 2 (even though they got demolished) you could see their play gradually get better.
Led to the game 3 victory and the great win tonight while getting the calls (mostly legit imo) go against them.

I want the leafs to win game 6 with the bruins winning a 2 OT game 7. What a nice series to witness.
If Matthews gets his game to a level we all know he can play at, we could see an upset in game 7.

It's a good series because the two teams hate each other so much.

It honestly might be the most emotion you see in the playoffs, although most teams will naturally hate the Bruins, the Leafs actually have some really strong history and even recent history (ownage).

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I like you.

But, still don't feel very optimistic. Leafs need to win two more and I just don't see it against a great Bruins team. I'll cheering until there isn't any life left, hopefully they prove me wrong.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
IN THIS THREAD-

Maple Leaf fans singing to the high heavens about the Boston Bruins league assisted advantage.

Let’s break them down into two factions.

A- those that took great delight in 2011 when the referees threw out the rule book and let Boston play WWE rules and ragdoll the speed and skill Canucks.

B- those that weren’t watching back then and are newer to hockey, cause Toronto is good now. Those are the only leafs fans in here that didn’t pile on the Canucks fans as whiny when the league let the bruins run wild with no rule book.

IN THIS THREAD -

Various fans who want the Leafs to lose.

Let's break them down into two factions.

A - Bruins fans.

B - Fans of miserable Canadian teams who didn't make the playoffs so they have spend their time hoping for the Leafs to fail. Significantly larger than Faction A.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

The series wasn't doing much for me but game 5 was really entertaining. The Leafs/Caps match-up last season was fun to watch, I expected something similar and am glad Toronto is making things interesting.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's a good series because the two teams hate each other so much.

It honestly might be the most emotion you see in the playoffs, although most teams will naturally hate the Bruins, the Leafs actually have some really strong history and even recent history (ownage).
They are imo your biggest rivals and I think win or lose it will be great for the leafs. It's nice seeing them progress well and seeing them improve instead of showing up and being contempt with it... win or lose it must be a great feeling knowing the team is in great shape. Im so choked Chia f***ed up my team so I cant see the same. Soon I hope I can see the Oil get back on track after watching almost every game the past decade lmao.
I like you.

But, still don't feel very optimistic. Leafs need to win two more and I just don't see it against a great Bruins team. I'll cheering until there isn't any life left, hopefully they prove me wrong.
There will be life lol. Win/lose the team is in good shape. I'm keeping it real by saying I dont think the Leafs pull it off as well, but Leafs are getting better game by game with Matthews being underwhelming. If he gets back on track you never know. Bruins are in great shape now and in the future as well so hopefully we see more of this series... Could end up like the 2011 series with the hawks and Canucks, with the canucks finally beating the Hawks and making the finals.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The series wasn't doing much for me but game 5 was really entertaining. The Leafs/Caps match-up last season was fun to watch, I expected something similar and am glad Toronto is making things interesting.
Wasnt game 1 or 2, but halfway through game 2 i noted the improved play of the leafs. Its more so for me the progression of difficulty they are giving the bruins as the games go on. They arent just laying down and taking it.

I love the bruins and hope they win but the leafs, if they keep progressing like they have could take it to 7 and maybe pull off the upset. I dont think it will happen but it has been interesting to keep tabs on for sure.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
They are imo your biggest rivals and I think win or lose it will be great for the leafs. It's nice seeing them progress well and seeing them improve instead of showing up and being contempt with it... win or lose it must be a great feeling knowing the team is in great shape. Im so choked Chia ****ed up my team so I cant see the same. Soon I hope I can see the Oil get back on track after watching almost every game the past decade lmao.

There will be life lol. Win/lose the team is in good shape. I'm keeping it real by saying I dont think the Leafs pull it off as well, but Leafs are getting better game by game with Matthews being underwhelming. If he gets back on track you never know. Bruins are in great shape now and in the future as well so hopefully we see more of this series... Could end up like the 2011 series with the hawks and Canucks, with the canucks finally beating the Hawks and making the finals.

We accept you as a new Leaf fan with open arms. Keep your name too. I like it.

Reactions: Lilou

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Definitely the most poorly refereed game I have ever seen as a hockey fan. Pathetic.

Meh it wasn't great but people are overreacting. As a neutral fan you realize how little officiating effects an outcome. I'll never believe the Cup wasn't won because of bad reffing.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Meh it wasn't great but people are overreacting. As a neutral fan you realize how little officiating effects an outcome. I'll never believe the Cup wasn't won because of bad reffing.

It's not even the effect it has on a micro level. It's the effect it can have overall. The difference between an even game and a game where a call was "dodgy" (not talking about this game in particular) can change momentum or be the only decider in an otherwise even game.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
They are imo your biggest rivals and I think win or lose it will be great for the leafs. It's nice seeing them progress well and seeing them improve instead of showing up and being contempt with it... win or lose it must be a great feeling knowing the team is in great shape. Im so choked Chia ****ed up my team so I cant see the same. Soon I hope I can see the Oil get back on track after watching almost every game the past decade lmao.

Yeah I guess in the long run you're right, it's actually probably a good thing for young players to experience heart break or they could actually come back which would be much better.

A healthy Sekerja and hopefully Talbot returns to form and I think they should be fine, I honestly thought you guys were cup favorites this year, you do have by far the best player in the game, so take it from a Leafs fan, it can ALWAYS get worse, i.e in the past we sucked and our players sucked, at least you guys have McGodvid and Drai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->