Game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
yeah, Andersen's play is closer to the reason that the Leafs were nearly swept rather than the reason that they weren't

He's been horrible. So has your poster boy. Are you going to blame him? And trust me, I'm a Matthews fan.

Freddie has been bad. So has the rest of this ******* team. Wake up.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He was absolutely amazing during many stretches of the regular season. Everybody applauded him while he was amazing.

But these playoffs he's been hot garbage and the main reason we're losing. So we're criticizing his play while he's playing like hot garbage.

How is this confusing?

Its not confusing at all. It just seams like the fan base is looking for a scape goat. Leafs have had some great moments in the series but if I'm being honest Its a lot of fire wagon pond hockey.

Not playoff winning hockey. Leafs have a very good team but not much diversity in types of players that fill different rolls. Goaltending is not the issue with the Leafs

Reactions: fin8

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It's not my argument, nice strawman, though. My argument is that you're wrong and vastly overvaluing your team's scoring chances as well as their finish (which is near-nonexistent). Rask is a great goalie as well, nothing to argue about there. Andersen has owned the Bruins traditionally, but he's not a Quick or (old) Lundqvist level goalie who can just win games at will in the playoffs with little to no help from the players in front of him. Boston's team D has been much better than Toronto's, and has helped Rask get clearer looks even on the actually good scoring chances the Leafs have had.

If I get to choose between a bad angle snipe to the roof of the net on my fully screened goalie or a clear breakaway or 2-on-1, I'll take the latter everytime. The latter comes down to the goalie's skill, collectedness and mental facilities. The former comes down to make yourself big and hope you get hit by something resembling a puck. Of course, when your abysmal d-men turn two of those 2-on-1's into 2-on-0's in the same game, it probably won't matter.

Ever thought that your team's ****ty D has broken Andersen's spirit? Rielly had one of the worst games ever in game 1, possession-wise. Zaitsev has been the cause of like 6-7 goals against. That's not good enough.
So we shouldnt expect better than .880 and letting in 3 of the first 4 shots. Got it.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Its not confusing at all. It just seams like the fan base is looking for a scape goat. Leafs have had some great moments in the series but if I'm being honest Its a lot of fire wagon pond hockey.

Not playoff winning hockey. Leafs have a very good team but not much diversity in types of players that fill different rolls. Goaltending is not the issue with the Leafs
We don’t have to look hard for a scapegoat. His save percentage is .880

He let in 3 of the first 4 shots the other day. Yesterday, on a MUST win game, he let in a bullshit goal in the first 30 f***ing seconds on their first shot.

Andersen isn’t a scapegoat. He’s the reason the leafs are doing so poorly.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
In game 2, Andersen let in 3 of the Bruins first 4 shots. I mean... that's just ridiculous. Of course the leafs didn't put up much of a fight after that. I wouldn't either.
.880 vs .930

In Game 2, what goal was really Andersen's fault? Pasta's sick move that probably would have beaten any goalie in the league? The PP goal where Hainsey left DeBrusk wide open in front of the net? The one off Hainsey's foot?

Clear the ******* front of the net, play defence and do your job and maybe your goalie won't get hung out to dry.

Even last night, he never even saw the first goal. The Leafs tied it up minutes later, and couldn't score again until, of course, a couple of defensive lapses resulted in 2 on 1's.

Andersen has been bad, and Rask has been fantastic. I'm not overly impressed with him either, but pinning this series on him alone is so short-sighted, it's comical.

I swear, some of the basic fundamentals of hockey are lost on some people. You learn these defensive skills in ******* pee wee.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

He let in 3 of the first 4 shots then other day. Yesterday, on a MUST win game, he let in a bull**** goal in the first 30 ****ing seconds on their first shot.

I hope the rest of the team feels like this tomorrow night. Sure hasn't changed the way the weak defense plays in front of him.

Hard to win with that D group in front of him.

Reactions: Conormcjesus

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
To everyone blaming Andersen for the Maple Leafs current 3-1 hole...

Has he been Dominik Hasek in the net? No. But even Dominik Hasek wouldn't have saved some of the goals he has let in. The Toronto defense has been a total disgrace. It is hard to blame a goaltender when his team defense is so brutal.

How many goals has Boston scored this series on odd-man rushes? How many goals has Boston scored this series when they have been allowed to sit right in front of the net undefended and get a point-blank shot off?

Andersen's save percentage is partially due to the fact that Toronto's defense has allowed Boston scoring chances that are automatic goals.

It isn't just the players on Toronto either. It seems like they haven't been playing with any kind of defensive structure. Their forwards haven't been backchecking. Their defensemen have been positionally very poor.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Watching the few Leaf games that I did during the season it looked like Anderson was standing on his head stopping 40 shots each game. Anderson was a big reason the Leafs made the playoffs it seams now he's garbage?
This.

Guy faced 2200 shots this year, by far the most in the league, playing with these muppets on defence in front of him.

Without Andersen and McElhinney, this team is slumming with Florida and Jersey for the final playoff spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: FanSince72

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
So we shouldnt expect better than .880 and letting in 3 of the first 4 shots. Got it.

We shouldn't expect you to make an effort to understand arguments clearly presented to you in lieu of misrepresenting everybody. Got it.

He let in 3 of the first 4 shots the other day. Yesterday, on a MUST win game, he let in a bull**** goal in the first 30 ****ing seconds on their first shot.

1. Leafs' shitty play gives up a great chance for the best line in the league which they squander by banking it off JVR. The puck finds its way to Pastrnak by banking off Brown, who tries to catch up to Pasta as he dances around Andersen, but Brown has no effect on him, easy goal, little to no realistic blame can be put on the goalie.
2. 200 pound 26 year old D-man Zaitsev does f*** all to disrupt 180 pound rookie DeBrusk as he can easily redirect a pass in front of the net, on the PP (caused by a f***ing bench minor for too many men, which should be unacceptable in the playoffs, yet happened twice in two games for the Leafs)
3. Miller tosses as pass towards Pastrnak that bounces off the heel of Zaitsev's skate, literally nothing Andersen can do about it.
4. Krug fires a well-placed shot from a tough angle which Andersen has no way of catching because Plekanec does f*** all when it comes to taking away the screen of Riley Nash. Andersen could've tried to either shove Nash away (easier said than done for a goalie) or look around him, but whichever of those he attempted, if he was scored upon doing those things, you would've placed 10 times more blame on him.

These are the goals you put all the blame for being down in this series on. Yet the Leafs lost by four in game 2 (Andersen didn't even allow the GWG), and scored just one goal in game 4, losing by two (again, 2-on-1's that were horribly played by the Leafs' D). It's one thing to want timely saves from your goalie, but this is just pathetic.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Here's a novel concept. Instead of leaving your goalie out to dry, play something better than AHL-calibre defence and, I don't know, maybe take a page out of the Bruins book and go to the net? Playing like a bunch of schoolgirls, afraid to take get in Rask's kitchen and cause some ****. The Bruins are doing it at will.

These unscreened point shots aren't getting by Rask too often, rest assured.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Has he been Dominik Hasek in the net? No. But even Dominik Hasek wouldn't have saved some of the goals he has let in. The Toronto defense has been a total disgrace. It is hard to blame a goaltender when his team defense is so brutal.

How many goals has Boston scored this series on odd-man rushes? How many goals has Boston scored this series when they have been allowed to sit right in front of the net undefended and get a point-blank shot off?

Andersen's save percentage is partially due to the fact that Toronto's defense has allowed Boston scoring chances that are automatic goals.

It isn't just the players on Toronto either. It seems like they haven't been playing with any kind of defensive structure. Their forwards haven't been backchecking. Their defensemen have been positionally very poor.
Good post. Andersen was the difference in game 3. Game 4 other than the Krug goal. Just how was he to blame on Marchand and Debrusk's high quality passes and goals? I know it is hard for some to admit the Leafs are not the better team this series. But to lay the blame all on Andersen people are not seeing the entire picture here.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

He let in 3 of the first 4 shots the other day. Yesterday, on a MUST win game, he let in a bull**** goal in the first 30 ****ing seconds on their first shot.

After posting the same thing for the 15th or 20th time, it must be apparent even to you that people aren't buying your storyline.

Andersen is part of the answer, but so are most everybody on that team except for Marner and Plekanec, and that includes the coaching staff.

Quit looking for a sacrifical lamb.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

BruinsDude

Jan 18, 2007
Whitman, Ma
a708f75872ca78cdf13d606df49064de--bruins-hockey-ice-hockey.jpg

Reactions: nords1995

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

So in other word they are not very good and should be down 3-1? How many none breakaways or 2 on 1's goals have the leafs scored?

Few

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
to be honest, it's hard to expect much from people who cheer for the Leafs to lose more than they cheer for their own team. it leads to a real lack of critical thinking to say the least

Wait hang on.

You’re complaining about how people aren’t being critical thinkers because “they hate my team?”

That’s not being a very critical thinker.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Not being bailed out? He let in 3 of the first 4 ****ing shots. We shouldn't expect better than that? The first ****ing shot in less than 30 ****ing seconds went in. We shouldn't expect better?

I would love to see Boston playing from behind because Rask kept letting in all of these softies. I think it would break their spirit as well. It would break any teams spirit.

I mean, you're acting like goaltending doesn't matter at all. .880 vs .930 is pretty extreme. How could we possibly not give some credit to Rask an some blame to Andersen?
I don't remember game dates, but you can find at least a dozen examples of this during first two months of season if you really wanna see how they respond to that. You may not like what you see though. It's a little different than how your team has responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->