ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't care who wins the series. I'll be happy if Wilson and Dubinsky crash into each other and spontaneously combust.
That means we lose his cap hit right?
I find it interesting that many people are saying this is an ideal matchup for the Blue Jackets. The Caps went 3-1 vs Columbus this year and are 12-2-3 against them during Trotz's tenure. Washington is better at center on all four lines. Columbus has the best defensive pairing in the series. Columbus always plays a style that the Caps typically do well against... Washington doesn't do well against teams like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh who can counter quickly. No reason the Caps shouldn't win this series as long as they get respectable goaltending.

Edit: If Trotz goes full Trotz and tries to play his "heavy" lineup, i.e. the slower and less talented lineup, then he's playing right into CBJ's game plan. Would be nice if he tried to dictate pace and terms for once in his career.

While obviously they weren't Trotz coached teams, but Washington has only won 2/5 playoff matchups against Torts while he was in NYR/TB

should be a good series either way.

Yeah Washington won the series in the regular season, but they were in the middle of the Jackets slump. Let's see how they play when everyone is healthy and hungry.

Something tells me Bob playing against his countrymen will light a fire under his ass. It's not like he's just playing some random Russians. He knows he's playing ovie and kuz, I could see him turning up his game to the next level.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
The Jackets will give the Caps a series. They will be prepared and use last years 1st round exit as a motivator, not that they'll need one.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Based upon personal observation. Caps grossly overachieved all season - teams with the possession numbers Washington had generally don't fare well in the playoffs. But hey, I hope both teams lose so whatever works.
Well that settles that ! Holtby grossly underachieved all season. If it wasn't for Trotz fetsih for vets over less experienced players and Grubi started playing more sooner than later, Caps would've won Metro semi comfortably. I'll guess you're a Pitt fan. If so, hopefully for you Murray won't play like 2012 MAF :facepalm:

And yes, if Bob plays the way he has the last 2 playoffs, CBJ is toast.
You've already noted that :confused:

If only I'd said that in my original post...wait, I did.

[MOD]

Anyway didn't know it was against the rules to agree with the only part of your post that made sense :snide:

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That means we lose his cap hit right?

While obviously they weren't Trotz coached teams, but Washington has only won 2/5 playoff matchups against Torts while he was in NYR/TB

should be a good series either way.

Yeah Washington won the series in the regular season, but they were in the middle of the Jackets slump. Let's see how they play when everyone is healthy and hungry.

Something tells me Bob playing against his countrymen will light a fire under his ass. It's not like he's just playing some random Russians. He knows he's playing ovie and kuz, I could see him turning up his game to the next level.

It'll be a good series. The lone Jacket win came during the peak of Holtby's implosion but both teams are healthy and playing well right now.

Doesn't Bob usually get toasted by his fellow Russians? Genuine question... it seems like the Caps seem to have his number.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
MSG0427090029-Rangers-v-Capitals-Game7.jpg

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I have no idea what to expect in this series. Very unpredictable. It should be very entertaining.

I'd like to see the CBJ special teams #'s over the last 20 games as the Vanek, Cole, Letestu pickups and the return of Atkinson in the 2nd half gives them a very different look compared to the terrible 1st half of the season.

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch the PK and PP are better than season aggregate might suggest.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I kind of feel cheated because the Caps and Jackets are the two teams I'm rooting for to come out of the east.

But... at least I'm guaranteed that one of my teams will win their first round

Reactions: mikeyp24

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
My guess is that this will be the Tom Wilson series. Torts always wants to play rough against the Caps skill players. He always yells when the Caps hit back. I don't expect any different this time. This time instead of yelling at Ov, he will be yelling at Wilson.

What are the current odds on Torts saying in a presser that the league wants the Caps to win because they are letting Wilson and Ovechkin and Orpik off the hook?

You know Ovechkin has said things like that in the past as well right?

"Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7," Ovechkin reportedly said in Russian, translated and tweeted by Slava Malamud, a senior writer for Russian sports daily Sports-Express. "For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit."

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I wouldn't view either team winning/losing as an "upset."

The Caps, despite their flaws, have the talent to win games (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, etc). Meanwhile, the Jackets found their game at the right time after a rough patch.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I have no idea what to expect in this series. Very unpredictable. It should be very entertaining.

I'd like to see the CBJ special teams #'s over the last 20 games as the Vanek, Cole, Letestu pickups and the return of Atkinson in the 2nd half gives them a very different look compared to the terrible 1st half of the season.

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch the PK and PP are better than season aggregate might suggest.
Last 25 games the Blue Jackets have 23.4% on the PP, 9th in the league over that span, 77.3% on PK, 22nd in the league.
Caps : 26.1% PP, 6th; 81% PK, 12th

I'm definitely on board with the posters mentioning there is no upset in this series. How Columbus was playing before February is pretty irrelevant to me, look like a different team

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
More Pens fans in this thread than their own GDT

Caps are an easy target to make fun of, its that simple.

and LOL at that Ovi quote, no wonder that guy has never won anything, blaming the losses on conspiracy theories instead of looking at himself in the mirror.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
More Pens fans in this thread than their own GDT

Just an FYI - I know the Caps board hates when anyone that isn't a Caps fan posts, but this is a main board. So yes the divisional foes will be in the thread. Oh and it's a damn interesting matchup. I think this is a very underrated 1st round matchup that will provide better than 1st round quality hockey.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think it really comes down to how Trotz builds out his lines. If he decides to try and bang it out with CBJ and play a physical brand of hockey it's a 50/50 series and at that point whoever wins is leaving battered and bruised. (I actually might give CBJ an edge, maybe 60/40).

If he taps his youth and goes the speed route then I think Wash has the distinct advantage. Washington has far more skilled guys and if they can use speed to create space and chances they can hang up some nifty offense. CBJ knows their weakness is speed, they ducked Pitt because that style of play runs through them like shit through a goose. CBJ and Wash both tried this heavy game last year and had to fetch their jocks post-series because no amount of heavy can counter successful speed.

That all said Trotz is slow on the uptake, he'll probably try to ice the '73 Flyers until game 7 when he plugs two rookies into the lineup for speed and then when we lose goes "See, the speed wouldn't have helped either."

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Just an FYI - I know the Caps board hates when anyone that isn't a Caps fan posts, but this is a main board. So yes the divisional foes will be in the thread. Oh and it's a damn interesting matchup. I think this is a very underrated 1st round matchup that will provide better than 1st round quality hockey.
Holy insecurities batman, it was just an observation, one that was then followed up by three more posts by Pens fans.

For a team that loves to proclaim that we're not on their level there is a weird sense of obsession. I can assure you if the Caps owned the Pens like the Pens own us, I would likely not give the Penguins even a second thought.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That would be great. Right? A great series only proves the Caps aren't that good again. Yes?

I know the Caps are the doormat of some razzing, but I've been saying it since the offseason - watch out. This team has zero expectations and a lot of inner anger to make a run. And all you need to look at is how Ovy is playing right now to see it. My only concern is that they stick with Holtby when they have a goalie who is making a case to be the starter.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Holy insecurities batman, it was just an observation, one that was then followed up by three more posts by Pens fans.

For a team that loves to proclaim that we're not on their level there is a weird sense of obsession. I can assure you if the Caps owned the Pens like the Pens own us, I would likely not give the Penguins even a second thought.

That's your fault. The majority of us on the Pens board know that most likely if it weren't the Pens, it would have been the Caps to win the Cup. 2009/2016 especially. And the majority of us know Ovy is a once in a lifetime goal scorer and we love watching what he does best.

I don't have time in my life to hate your city, fans, or sports team. I'm going to enjoy what I can while i'm here. The same goes with watching McDavid. Dude is an insane talent. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm happy the Pens won those matchups, but i'm not an idiot. I know how blessed we are to have done that. But it's also just a sport at the end of the day.

I would say, as a Pens fan, if Ovy won the Cup - the majority of us would be happy for him and would watch it all the way through. Obviously some obnoxious entitled fans wouldn't. But the majority would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->