ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
The Caps were in control. Panarin was kept out to the perimeter and his linemates didn't give him much support. Can't wait for game 5!

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This is 100% not correct. John Carlson piles up points and that is important but he is nowhere near a true Doughty/Hedman level of defender.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

“Legitimate Number 1D” is not the same as “Best D in the league”, which those two have been this year. I’d have Carlson around 20th in my list of D, but he’s still a number 1D.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Also might I add this wasn't a case of Holtby getting benched, this was a case of Grubauer playing so well he forced the Capitals hand. If Phoenix Copley was Holtby's backup there is never a discussion about the game one starter, because Grubauer was so dominant the latter half of the season it made sense.

On top of that, there is still a very high chance that if Holtby plays in game 1 and 2 the Caps still lose those games. They lost those games in OT because the team played conservative after securing the lead, Grubauer didn't play terrible by any means.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Reading comprehension is your friend.

“Legitimate Number 1D” is not the same as “Best D in the league”, which those two have been this year. I’d have Carlson around 20th in my list of D, but he’s still a number 1D.

How is he even the number one D on the Caps when he doesn't get the shut down assignment?

He is a 1D on PP1, I'll give him that. But if you said pick one of Carlson/Orlov/Niskanen to keep, all factors considered, I'm taking the other two first.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
How is he even the number one D on the Caps when he doesn't get the shut down assignment?

He is a 1D on PP1, I'll give him that. But if you said pick one of Carlson/Orlov/Niskanen to keep, all factors considered, I'm taking the other two first.

Only because Carlson is going to get paid 1D money.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Washington would have likely swept if Trotz hadn't started Grubauer two games.

I still maintain it was a foolish thing to do. Holtby's a playoff beast. I don't care how much he struggled in the regular season, you ride your proven guys in the playoffs. Trotz going with the "hot hand" put his team in a 0-2 hole, which Holtby has since dug them out of.

Trotz should always trust the opposite of his instincts come playoff time.

Reactions: pezpunk

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
I love how we talk about holtby being great like the jackets didnt hit 6 post in game 3 and about 3 or 4 in one period.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Washington would have likely swept if Trotz hadn't started Grubauer two games.

I still maintain it was a foolish thing to do. Holtby's a playoff beast. I don't care how much he struggled in the regular season, you ride your proven guys in the playoffs. Trotz going with the "hot hand" put his team in a 0-2 hole, which Holtby has since dug them out of.
Hindsight

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Caps dominated game 4. Jackets looked sluggish and the passing was bad. Let's hope the away team winning trend continues into g5.

I've been pleased with Bob's play. Team needs to help him out more.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Has he regressed this year? He looked amazing last year. Definitely thought he'd be your go-to 2C.

Well, he's a winger and yes, he has regressed. He has some of the worst positioning I've seen in the NHL, is prone to turnovers, refuses to shoot the puck and takes offensive zone stick penalties.

I think we should trade him this summer.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Well, he's a winger and yes, he has regressed. He has some of the worst positioning I've seen in the NHL, is prone to turnovers, refuses to shoot the puck and takes offensive zone stick penalties.

I think we should trade him this summer.

Did he mention injury prone?

He is actually a similar player to Vrana except Vrana is faster and has a much quicker release. Vrana is also smaller but neither use their bodies to any advantage anyway.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad