ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3 Games to 2

Which team wins game 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I will give Washington respect here; I thought the Jackets would had this all sewn up after game 2 but Washington has shown a ton of resilience... which is unexpected when it comes from the Caps. Maybe this year is finally their year?

Pittsburgh will be waiting in round 2.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I will give Washington respect here; I thought the Jackets would had this all sewn up after game 2 but Washington has shown a ton of resilience... which is unexpected when it comes from the Caps. Maybe this year is finally their year?

Pittsburgh will be waiting in round 2.

Holtby's the concern, though. He should be ready to face the Penguins in Round 2. Grubauer can't stop pucks, and if Holtby collapses, all is lost.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Holtby's the concern, though. He should be ready to face the Penguins in Round 2. Grubauer can't stop pucks, and if Holtby collapses, all is lost.
Washington vs Pittsburgh has historically been... one sided, and yeah Holtby has been part of that (although what goalie wouln't have difficulty when facing Crosby and Malkin for seven straight games).

And even if they manage to overcome the Pens, in the Conference finals will await whatever Atlantic juggernaut manages to win the war in that top-heavy division. Not an easy road out of the East this year.

Reactions: Khomutov

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Washington vs Pittsburgh has historically been... one sided, and yeah Holtby has been part of that (although what goalie wouln't have difficulty when facing Crosby and Malkin for seven straight games).

And even if they manage to overcome the Pens, in the Conference finals will await whatever Atlantic juggernaut manages to win the war in that top-heavy division. Not an easy road out of the East this year.

This year's playoffs have been dominated by the top seed teams. Honestly, I don't see the Capitals winning the Cup, or even getting to the SCF, but I'd certainly like them to go deep into the tournament. I mean, at least, give Ovechkin an experience in the Conference Finals.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Oster

Jun 3, 2006
South Carolina, USA

I haven't watched much of the series but from looking at the highlights most of the goals Grubauer let in didn't seem to be all that bad - I'm not sure why people are all of the sudden crapping on the guy - unless he just looked awful in between those goals and I missed it. His team was in a position to win both of those games and they couldn't score when they needed to - a familiar story for the Caps.

Holtby has always looked incredibly shaky to me in comparison to the stats he's had in the post-season and he always seems to be letting in soft goals that break the already weak confidence of a Caps team who struggle to score in elimination games anyway. Maybe it's just a small sample size of the games I've watched but I don't get why people buy into Holtby as this savior of the Caps chances. The first two goals Holtby let in last game were laughably bad and I don't think he's playing worlds ahead of Grubauer - the Jackets just seem to be playing worse as the series goes on. All that aside, I think the Caps have bigger problems than their goalies, the defensive liability of certain players (not even talking about Ovechkin here) and lack of leadership are holding them back more than anything IMO.

Reactions: Ruudukkopupuset

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I haven't watched much of the series but from looking at the highlights most of the goals Grubauer let in didn't seem to be all that bad - I'm not sure why people are all of the sudden crapping on the guy - unless he just looked awful in between those goals and I missed it. His team was in a position to win both of those games and they couldn't score when they needed to - a familiar story for the Caps.

Holtby has always looked incredibly shaky to me in comparison to the stats he's had in the post-season and he always seems to be letting in soft goals that break the already weak confidence of a Caps team who struggle to score in elimination games anyway. Maybe it's just a small sample size of the games I've watched but I don't get why people buy into Holtby as this savior of the Caps chances. The first two goals Holtby let in last game were laughably bad and I don't think he's playing worlds ahead of Grubauer - the Jackets just seem to be playing worse as the series goes on. I think the Caps have bigger problems than their goalies, the defensive liability of certain players (not even talking about Ovechkin here) and lack of leadership are holding them back more than anything IMO.

I can't watch Capitals games, so I can't say much about Grubauer's saves. I'm overseas, so I can't watch the games, but, looking at the highlights, I can infer that Holtby hasn't been making those easy saves he should've made. Though I want the Capitals to win Game 6, the game would be a pyrrhic victory, at least.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I thought Holtby looked fine in relief in game 3 and in game 4. He looked okay in game 5 - but I'm sure he certainly would have liked to have the first goal back. He kept them in the game in the third period when Columbus was basically dominating every other facet.

I don't know that I would agree that CBJ has necessarily gotten worse as the series has gone on. I thought the Caps played decent in games 1-2 (and lost) and looked very poor for large stretches of games 3 and 5 (which they won).

I agree it's mistaken to believe that Holtby is going to be the team's savior, but I don't necessarily think that makes Grubauer a better option. He seemed to struggle closing off the post a little bit in the first couple of games and CBJ took advantage.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Columbus is a really good team. They were better than us on 5on5, so we will need again old puck luck to win the next game. It'll be a war for sure. Hopefully everybody is ready :mad:

Reactions: Kington91

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When Holtby was struggling he was reacting late sometimes and overreacting others. He would over compensate and push through the crease and out of position. He couldn't handle lateral movement at all.

Now he's looking confident and measured in his responses, just like he was in years past when he was putting up some of the best playoff numbers we've ever seen.

For him it's all about swagger and confidence, and efficiency of movement.

Grubauer was showing some of those traits for a long time but in g1 and g2 he just didn't have "it". Some of the goals were pretty soft and there were a few that a goaltender who's "on" will stop at least once in a while.

I think Holtby will be fine vs the Blue Jackets but he will have to face some personal demons vs the Pens (if that's how things go). If he gets his head out of his butt in that matchup he can go all the way.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I like Columbus more, but Washington seems like they're still a slightly better team and will move on. I feel like the Jackets would put up more of a fight against Pittsburgh though

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I have to say that it's interesting looking at the numbers of both teams. Both Pens/Flyers and Caps/Jackets are 3-2 with Caps and Pens in the lead, but the difference is that the Pens and Flyers have both been blown out by the other team and that hasn't happened to the Caps, while there was the the 4-1 game of game 4. Obviously history has not been kind to the Caps vs. the Pens, but the fact that the Caps have not lost a game by more than goal while the Pens have is interesting.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

This isn't true, and like two posts after this one you flat out admit you haven't watched any of the games. Grubauer looked fine in his two starts, and if there wasn't a Vezina winning goalie that was behind him he would have started all of the games. Holtby has looked good, and if he stumbles Grubi is a capable secondary option.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This isn't true, and like two posts after this one you flat out admit you haven't watched any of the games. Grubauer looked fine in his two starts, and if there wasn't a Vezina winning goalie that was behind him he would have started all of the games. Holtby has looked good, and if he stumbles Grubi is a capable secondary option.

He let four goals each game. Yes, I've only watched highlights, because Capitals' games aren't broadcast here, but I don't think Grubauer was elite in net.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Maybe, he was pressured; I don't know, but we'll have to see next season, if he can play well or get traded to another team.

Don’t get me wrong, he is really good. Just didn’t bring his A game in games 1 and 2.

There may yet be occasion to see him in net again this post season.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Don’t get me wrong, he is really good. Just didn’t bring his A game in games 1 and 2.

There may yet be occasion to see him in net again this post season.

If Holtby decides to play golf, yes, but he's not the most favorable option for the Capitals.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
He let four goals each game. Yes, I've only watched highlights, because Capitals' games aren't broadcast here, but I don't think Grubauer was elite in net.
So? What a terrible metric to judge from.

Hotlby has also surrendered 3 goals in two games this series, that's pretty irrelevant overall.

I think Hotlby is the smart hand right now, but Grubauer is a fantastic goaltender and I'm a bit tired of seeing people who tune in for ten minutes in the playoffs saying he's not when Caps fans watched him put together one hell of a season and absolutely earn Game 1 and 2.

I just think it rich (and I don't know if you fall into this camp) that people keep spouting off about how moronic the Caps were to play Grubauer Game 1 & 2 when just about every Cap fan said it was the right choice and still says it was the right choice.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Hotlby has also surrendered 3 goals in two games this series, that's pretty irrelevant overall.

I think Hotlby is the smart hand right now, but Grubauer is a fantastic goaltender and I'm a bit tired of seeing people who tune in for ten minutes in the playoffs saying he's not when Caps fans watched him put together one hell of a season and absolutely earn Game 1 and 2.

Holtby surrendered three; Grubauer surrendered eight. Of course, unless you have foresight, you couldn't have predicted Holtby should've been the starter, but that doesn't excuse Grubauer from being the main reason for the Capitals losing Games 1 and 2.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Holtby surrendered three; Grubauer surrendered eight. Of course, unless you have foresight, you couldn't have predicted Holtby should've been the starter, but that doesn't excuse Grubauer from being the main reason for the Capitals losing Games 1 and 2.
Eh, I wouldn't say he was the main reason we lost 1&2. Was he playing at an elite level like he was coming down the stretch probably not, but he wasn't get a lot of help from his defenders either. The Caps got back in this series by buttoning up in their own zone which in turn helps the goalies.

I'm good with either one of our goalies playing. They're both tremendous and have been known to rise to the occasion under pressure more often than not. However, if Holtby has indeed regained his confidence he's in that upper 3 best in the leauge when he's on his game so he'd be the obvious choice right now.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What?

Grubauer surrendered 8 in two games
Holtby has given up 7 in three games

Game 1- 4 GAA Grubi
Game 2- 4 GAA Grubi, 1 GAA Holtby
Game 3- 2 GAA Holtby
Game 4- 1 GAA Holtby
Game 5-3 GAA Holtby

The difference is negligible, score card as an argument is terrible idea.

Again, Grubauer was far from the "main reason" the Capitals lost game 1 and 2. I can't believe I'm even arguing over this with a guy who is admitting he hasn't watched any of the games.

Reactions: Louis Gilmour

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Grubauer surrendered 8 in two games
Holtby has given up 7 in three games
You're thinking of just a regular game as in 3 periods. Grubauer surrendered 8 in 7 periods. Holtby surrendered 7 in 13 periods Plus, Holtby saw 35+ two of those nights. Grubi was great down the stretch, while after his slump in mid-February to mid-March, Holtby was just returning to form. In the playoffs, though, it's been Holtby who has done the job. I don't think Grubi should have started the series because of Holtby's playoff history and not knowing how he would perform under pressure, but I can understand why he would have been put in for game 1 considering how well he did down the stretch, but after his performance in game 1, Holtby should have started game 2. The Jackets exploited Grubi's weaknesses in game 2, and I do think if Holtby had been in net there's a chance the Caps would have won. But, hindsight, right?

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
As an outsider it's funny to see you guys argue over Grubi vs Holtby. Trying to place blame when your team is up 3-2 makes no senses unless you think it should have been over by now.

I would be ecstatic to be up 3-2. Maybe enjoy what you have? Here's another idea... Maybe the team they are playing has some influence on the outcome as well? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad