ECQF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) New Jersey Devils | Tampa Leads Series 3-1

who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Did anyone really believe that NJ was going to give Tampa a tough series? Most fans didn't even expect NJ to make it into the playoffs. This playoff experience will be good for all the young players to build off of. Hopefully they come back next season and do even better.

I think it was a combination of the Devils playing really good hockey going into the playoffs while the Lightning were not. They played a few good games to close out the season. The Bruins 4-0 game was a game people point to and say this was the real Lightning team not the one we have been watching the last two months. We played more like that in this current series than we did the crappy style we played in those last two months. People can argue that we took the foot off the gas late in the season and saved it for the playoffs.

So people came into this series thinking that TB could be vulnerable to a hot team like the Devils. I admit I was worried about it too because they did sweep us in the regular season. You know the playoffs are different but some teams do just have your number. Im not surprised at people thinking that they could beat TB but Im also not surprised at the score of the series right now. TB was just a lot better than what they were showing in that last few months. They were obviously saving themselves for the playoffs. The real big test will be if they can beat Boston. I think they can, but it will be a lot harder than beating NJ. Boston has a really good team and that experience that can make the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerzey Devil

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think DGB mentioned this yesterday, but if that Conacher goal counted (or even accepting that it didn't count) - it was still a really bad goal to give up. Schneider didn't exactly look good in that game. His rebounds were all over the place, he wasn't tracking the puck well, and his lateral movement is abysmally slow. If that Conacher goal counts, he may get yanked in the first.

Basically - can you think of a save that Schneider made that he shouldn't have made? Has he really played much better than Kinkaid? Because it feels more like the Devils' D has been (slightly) better at limiting chances rather than the goaltender playing better.

please post that on the devils board lol. whenever i say it, i'm labelled as a cory hater or some shit.

dont get me wrong- cory is better than kinkaid, the same way he was better than marty (at that stage of his career- marty is still GOAT). despite that, marty won more often that cory, same as kinkaid this year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
please post that on the devils board lol. whenever i say it, i'm labelled as a cory hater or some ****.

dont get me wrong- cory is better than kinkaid, the same way he was better than marty (at that stage of his career- marty is still GOAT). despite that, marty won more often that cory, same as kinkaid this year.
Something tells me I'm persona non grata on the Devils board. ;)

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Did anyone really believe that NJ was going to give Tampa a tough series? Most fans didn't even expect NJ to make it into the playoffs. This playoff experience will be good for all the young players to build off of. Hopefully they come back next season and do even better.

That's kinda all I wanted out of this series. Win a game or two, don't get embarrassed, do better next year. Anything else is gravy.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I am looking for that killer instinct tomorrow. The neck is exposed...time to step on it.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Hindsight 20/20 but NJ may have had more of a chance in game one and two with the better goalie. Think the first guy gave up 9 goals in one and half games and Cory 4 goals in 2 and half games. Bolts have been there before with two ok goalies. It will make a big difference for NJ when they get an elite goalie who is true #1. We were very fortunate to get Vasi in the draft and he is only 23 yo. Amazing but he has made us forget letting Bishop go who is great goalie
statistically speaking, if you look pre game 4 , it wasn't that bad. Game 4 was warped everyone 5-10%, exposes how we do not have enough debt at defense when Severson > Butcher is your next quarterback for outlet / inlet. Hall a bad game(how many times can you say that one this YEAR?), Hiesher (missing passes, not only missing the net, missing the puck)

Off Line 1 - no show
Def Line 1 player 1 - knocked the f*** out
Players who step up - nobody
Goalie situation: unstable
Wood/Boyle combined ice time? 12 minutes or so(wtf?)

Schneider - not a good game technically scored on 4 times. He was never technically back and never had allot of time to get back in rhythm which any goaltender needs in the playoffs. That excuse aside, you need a goalie that can straight out steal a game. He doesnt do that like Brodeur did.... or Kinkaid somehow was "doing" lately.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Listen. I gotta know. I looked up pork roll and it just looks like sandwich meat. Do you just put it on a sandwich? What's special about it?

Like @Scorcho said, it is like all the good breakfast sandwich meats had a beautiful, greasy baby. Pan fry it and put it on a kaiser roll with egg and cheese. It's a wonderful thing.

What's the like. Quintessential NJ food? I can't really think of it.

Is it those sandwiches that have like every food ever on them?

"Fat sandwiches"! They're mostly relegated to near Rutgers: The Real Fat Sandwiches of New Jersey

I only had them once. I had a "Fat Bitch", which was a cheesesteak with mozzarella sticks, french fries, and marinara sauce. Horrible for me, but delicious.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
why the f did the coach go with Schneider in goal, he is back to his old garbage self.

kinkaid was the one that got the team into the playoffs... what the hell gives here?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Taylor ham is like if Bacon and Sausage and canadian bacon had a threesome baby

I do not like them, In a house. I do not like them with a mouse, I do not like them. Here or there, I do not like them. Anywhere. I do not like Deviled Eggs and Taylor Ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Everyone's talking about Taylor Ham, but since moving away from NJ I have learned that there are two things that get significantly worse anywhere else in the country (except maybe NYC) - Pizza and Bagels.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
why the f did the coach go with Schneider in goal, he is back to his old garbage self.

kinkaid was the one that got the team into the playoffs... what the hell gives here?
going down 0-2 in the playoffs , has so many domino effects (i.e. putting Schneider in who hasnt played but 1 failed test game in 3 months)

I would put him in again, you cant do goalie by committee , other then the pens, i cant remember the last time that was successful in the playoffs by any team. correct me if wrong though

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

I mean. Kinkaid gave up 10 goals in 2 games. Schneider has given up 5 in the same time frame. Actually more considering Kinkaid left in game 2.

Not that the first two games were Kinkaids fault, but Schneider has absolutely outperformed him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everyone's talking about Taylor Ham, but since moving away from NJ I have learned that there are two things that get significantly worse anywhere else in the country (except maybe NYC) - Pizza and Bagels.

Florida in general has horrible pizza, as does South NJ. But there are some places on the west coast by Naples/Venice FL that have a lot of old school Italian owned restaurants that they have good Pizza. Can tell the difference, they likely use different water, and not tap. But still nothing like NY Brick oven Pizza. As per Bagels, mushy chewy gummy bagels is what you get everywhere else, lol.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
going down 0-2 in the playoffs , has so many domino effects (i.e. putting Schneider in who hasnt played but 1 failed test game in 3 months)

I would put him in again, you cant do goalie by committee , other then the pens, i cant remember the last time that was successful in the playoffs by any team. correct me if wrong though
F*** ! ..... can marty get in shape for game 5?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Having lived in Boston and Chicago, can confirm on the bagels. Me and my gf bring back a couple dozen bagels, and taylor ham, whenever one of us visits home. Even after freezing them and defrosting whenever we want one...still better than the fresh shit out here.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Listen. I gotta know. I looked up pork roll and it just looks like sandwich meat. Do you just put it on a sandwich? What's special about it?
It goes on breakfast sandwiches, e.g. taylor ham, egg, and cheese. We love our breakfast sandwiches here.

It’s a crime against humanity what is done to pizza outside of the Tri-State area.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Tampashooter

Jun 16, 2017
I realize i'm a Tampa homer, but i'm also a 35 year NHL fan, and hockey player beer league extroidannaire........To say this series has been anywhere near even, even close, is crazy time. 5 on 5 is like an exhibition game for the Bolts... 4 on 4 is even worse for the devils. 5 on 3 for the devils? Ok, thats been even up........

On another note. I love me some Brian Boyle. Great guy, great citizen, great teammate. But if he's what you're hoping is going to carry you in any particular minute of NHL hockey, you're in big trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->