ECQF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) New Jersey Devils | Tampa Leads Series 3-1

who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Honestly I think Vassey’s fatigue status is of much bigger concern then Stammer’s health.

Tampa can win without Stammer. They are going to have issues if their goaltending ****s the bed.
That's a concern for a lot of us on the Bolts board. He was absolutely lights out against Boston on Tuesday but then looked terrible against Buffalo on Friday. Which version of Vasy shows up to play is going to be a factor in this series.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's a concern for a lot of us on the Bolts board. He was absolutely lights out against Boston on Tuesday but then looked terrible against Buffalo on Friday. Which version of Vasy shows up to play is going to be a factor in this series.

Goaltending might be the story of the series. Which Vasy shows up? Does Keith Kinkaid’s Cinderella run continue or does he turn back into a pumpkin?

Devils have a lot of players making their playoff debuts, and Hynes has never coached in the NHL playoffs (multiple AHL appearances though). That presents a huge unknown into this series. Does Hall run out of gas, or does he find an even higher level now that the lights are brighter?

I think this series can be a ton of fun. Hope it goes 6 or 7.

iMissKovy

Nov 12, 2017
Boca raton, Fl
Tampa has two weaknesses. Faceoffs and PK. They are facing a team that is even worse than them in the circle ... so its then basically Tampa dominating in all facets of the game except the PK. The Devils PP isn't good enough to makeup for everything else. This shouldn't be close ... Tampa in 4 or 5.
You guys are weak around the net and not a gritty enough team. Devs in 5. Watch lmao

Reactions: glenwo2

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The more I dig into this series the more I see that there's a compelling case for not only NJ being competitive in this series but actually going on to win it.

Tampa's most glaring weakness and difference from other playoff teams and cup contenders is their penalty kill which finished at 76.1 percent which was 28th in the league, next closest playoff team was Pittsburgh at 17th. Specifically since March 1st they're running at 70% on the PK, that's really bad. And in that time frame they've been shorthanded 57 times in 18 games which is the 8th most in the league, so despite having a horrible penalty kill, they've still been giving their opponents opportunities to feast on their PK, they're 2nd in the league for power play goals against since March 1st.

So either Tampa will continue playing how they've been playing recently and taking penalties despite knowing the chance of killing it is low, or they'll have to adjust their game so that they take less penalties, which in turn could be less effective given that mentality leads to a more risk adverse style of play. It doesn't help that New Jersey's power play has been pretty effective for the whole season, running at 21.4 per cent good for 10th in the league and at 27.6 per cent since March 1st which is 5th in the league in that time frame. They're also 12th in the league for drawing penalties, in a playoff series where the margin for error is so thin a few penalties here and there can end up making a huge difference when you can't kill them off, if Tampa get can't patch together an adequate penalty kill during this series, that could end up being a massive x-factor.

Both teams this season have been pretty close in terms of how many shots they've been able to generate at even strength. Tampa Bay has generated 32.19 shots per 60 minutes of ice time, NJ was at 30.67 shots per 60 minutes. Despite the prototype of the Devils playing boring and slow hockey, that hasn't been the case this season. They've gone through quite the transformation to playing a more fast and up tempo style of game. Stylistically, Tampa plays a similar brand of fast hockey. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Devils swept Tampa in the regular season but got swept by a team like the Bruins who play a more defensively sound, possession driven game where they focus on wearing teams down on the cycle game. In terms of defensive play, New Jersey actually was able to be better on the season at shot prevention than Tampa. New Jersey was 15th in even strength shots allowed, pretty average, but Tampa was all the way down at 24th. Tampa also was prone to give up shots directly from the slot area which isn't something you want to be doing on a regular basis in a playoff series.

Tampa and New Jersey are similar stylistically, if the series turns into track meet where they're trading chances while playing at a fast, vigorous pace of play while playing chaotic hockey in the defensive zone, there's nothing that necessarily stands out as an indication of a trouncing in Tampa's favor. Especially given that in a series where high danger chances are being thrown around on both ends like crazy, goaltending for both sides will need to be heavily relied upon. It looks like Kinkaid will play for New Jersey and he's earned it with an impressive run of play, wheras Vasilievskiy has struggled since the all-star break essentially. Vasilievksiy's has posted a .900 save percentage in his last 20 starts, Kinkaid's last 20 starts he's had a .932 save percentage. Kinkaid doesn't even have to be a wall, but if he provides adequate goaltending and Vasilievskiy continues to struggle, that could end up being a major boost for the Devils.

There's an argument to be made that heading into the playoffs Taylor Hall is the best player in this series, Stamkos has a nagging injury, he'll play in this series but who knows if he'll be 100% and how much will it take for it to become worse. I know there's Kucherov but for me, from what we've seen recently Hall looks borderline unstoppable, you can match him against any forward or defenseman on Tampa and I'd feel confident about the Devils winning that matchup with Hall. Even if they manage to shut down or at very least limit Hall's effectiveness, they still have to deal with the other counterparts of his line with Hischier and Palmieri, neither of whom are offensive slouches, and despite not being filled with superstars their other 3 lines have players who can can all skate and contribute with little dead weight. If they're all clicking and playing at a fast pace, it's extremely conceivable that they can at least hold their own against and keep their head above water against some of Tampa's middle six and bottom forwards.

I'm not trying to say Tampa will lose this series, but at even strength they're vulnerable against a team like the Devils, their PK is a major hole in their team, and they have goaltending questions. Calling it a lock for Tampa is preposterous.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
All these people focusing on whether Stamkos is healthy or not are about to learn something about what's what when the Lightning go into the postseason.

Absolutely. About to get a good dose of Kuch, Point and Johnson... Maybe even Killorn who is much better in the playoffs. Regardless, Stammer will play on Thursday, and if he doesn't, I am not worried at all.

I like the Devils and they have some good players for years to come. If our guys don't underestimate them and play like they did against Boston we take this in 5.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The Devils have nothing to lose here and all the pressure is on the Lightning. Lightning is a playoff tested team but you never know because there are no easy teams in the playoffs and the Lightning haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire in the last couple of months. I feel pretty confident we're advancing but there is definately some potential for upset. Should be a fun series either way and if the Devils win, then they have deserved it.

With that said, I'm going to go with Bolts in 6.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Our defense against those forwards scares me a lot. It will definitely be a bend but don't break, or at least don't break too bad, scenario.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Two teams with speed, will be a tough series. If we can utilize our depth we can take it in say six games but the PK needs to step up or we will be in trouble. Won't be easy, that's for sure, got big respect for NJ.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lightning in 5

They've been in second gear for a while now. I'm assuming they put it in first gear, if I am wrong I can easily see an upset

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Lightning in 5

They've been in second gear for a while now. I'm assuming they put it in first gear, if I am wrong I can easily see an upset
You don't go very far with first gear only. At least not very fast.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I’m just excited to watch. Hoping for a 6 game series, anything after that is a bonus.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think the Debbies will fight furiously, but the Lightning take this in 7. Think this will be a great series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->