ECQF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) New Jersey Devils | Tampa Leads Series 3-1

who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Wouldn't be surprised to NJ pull of the upset, Tampa is vulnerable with how much they've struggled defensively and their terrible penalty kill. Devils play a fast style of game and can score in all situations with contributions from all of their lines, which doesn't bode well for Tampa. They need Kinkaid tor at least provide good goaltending for them which he has done for quite some time now, that could work to their advantage especially given how much Vasy has struggled since February. NJ also swept them in the season series and their respective records in the last 25 games was pretty similar.

TB will win but it'll be closer than a lot of people think. I say 7 games.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My head says Lightning in six. Devs will need some luck and Kinkaid standing on his head to pull this one out.

It's just awesome to be in the playoffs again.

Tend to agree. I feel like Tampa carried a large portion of the play in every game this year against NJ. We will need some luck to have a chance. But it should be fun at least.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Thinking New Jersey in 6. Taylor Hall just looks unstoppable when he's at his best, plus the Lightning look unstable without Stamkos.

Reactions: glenwo2

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Just because a lot of people predict an upset happening im saying it won't. Bolts got swept in the regular season and once they get a win in the series they're going to want to keep pounding the Devils to the ground.

But i think it could take a couple games before they play their best hockey and get used to playing with that must win attitude every night.

Gonna say Tampa in 6.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this one is ripe for an upset. Call it a hunch. But I am going to go with the Devils in 7.

In the Devils make the playoffs thread, I said they were a dangerous team, and I would fear playing them in the 1st rd. I am sticking to this. This is a very dangerous team.

Reactions: mtnet and glenwo2

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Regular season meetings are being overrated. I think the Lightning played better in 2 of those games anyways.

Should be a good 6 game series either way though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Tampa fans, what do you expect the Lightning will be rolling with as far as line combos and defense?pairs.

Devils are probably looking at something like:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Wood - Zacha - Maroon
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Grabner - Boyle - Gibbons

Johansson might sneak his way in their somewhere.

Greene - Vatanen
Moore - Mueller
Butcher - Lovejoy

I don't think he will be in to start, but Severson might see some time as well.

Kinkaid
Schneider

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
I don't see how the Devils can keep up with TB at all, and if Kinkaid slips up at all it's going to be a clean sweep.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Miller - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Point - Johnson
Killorn - Cirelli - Gourde
Kunitz - Paquette - Callahan

Hedman - Girardi
McDonagh - Stralman
Coburn - Sergachev

Vasilevskiy

OR

Miller - Stamkos - Kuch
Killorn - Point - Gourde
Palat - Johnson - Conacher
Kunitz - Cirelli - Callahan

I like the center depth in this lineup ... but Coop will go with the first lineup posted most likely.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't see how the Devils can keep up with TB at all, and if Kinkaid slips up at all it's going to be a clean sweep.

they beat them all 3 times this season and had a very good record against most of the top teams in the East

I know that the regular season matchups aren't be all and end all, but the Devils can hang with anyone IMO

Reactions: glenwo2

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Tampa has two weaknesses. Faceoffs and PK. They are facing a team that is even worse than them in the circle ... so its then basically Tampa dominating in all facets of the game except the PK. The Devils PP isn't good enough to makeup for everything else. This shouldn't be close ... Tampa in 4 or 5.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Seems like maybe the most difficult series to predict. As a Lightning fan I'm less concerned about the 3 regular season losses than I am the steady decline of defensive play by this team as the season progressed. Aside from the recent win over Boston, Tampa's defensive structure and penalty kill have been an absolute mess and that's putting it nicely.

NJ has good speed and skill, but their playoff play might be a bit of an unknown too. On paper, you have to like Tampa. But playoff hockey is often less about skill and more about team structure and defensive play. Can't say anything that happens in this series would surprise me.

Reactions: HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->