Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
From a young player development standpoint, this series has actually been great for a learning experience.

Matthews learning first hand what it's like going toe to toe with one of the league's best in their own barn. Marner is also figuring out how to beat stingy playoff defense, and did come away with 2 points last night. Hell Dermott's looking pretty decent even.

Nylander is by far the most disappointing - stop playing like a god damn diva and start engaging. He needs to take a good long look at how his buddy Kapanen is playing, that's how he needs to play.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What's also frustrating about the series so far is there's this narrative of "veteran Bruins" vs "young Leafs" but from what I can tell, the Bruins youth are very much thriving: Pastrnak, McAvoy, Heinen, DeBrusk, Acciari, Grzelcyk, Schaller, etc.

They're all playing various roles but they're playing hard, focused hockey and our guys look disorganized, scared, out of gas.

Well I wouldn't say their youth are world-beaters save for Pasta, but the B's vets have been two tiers better than the Leafs' vets.

That's the key difference IMO. Bergeron and Marchand have been running the show, Chara has been shutting the forwards down, and Rask has been very steady.

Reactions: Liminality

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
From a young player development standpoint, this series has actually been great for a learning experience.

Matthews learning first hand what it's like going toe to toe with one of the league's best in their own barn. Marner is also figuring out how to beat stingy playoff defense, and did come away with 2 points last night. Hell Dermott's looking pretty decent even.

Nylander is by far the most disappointing - stop playing like a god damn diva and start engaging. He needs to take a good long look at how his buddy Kapanen is playing, that's how he needs to play.

I agree with the sentiment. If this doesn't push them harder to train in the off-season and become better players, I don't know what will.

Reactions: FishManSam

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I agree with the sentiment. If this doesn't push them harder to train in the off-season and become better players, I don't know what will.

if this series ends in a whimper (or god forbid we get swept).
i will be very very curious what Shanahan will say. This is his fifth year (next year) with the team and this will truly be his first test of adversity with his players and his management core. You had a pretty pacified fanbase for the last two years but this could go nuclear pretty darned quick.

Reactions: dsred

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007

Why is Matthews "learning first hand", and Nylander isn't. Why does Matthews get a pass, and Nylander doesn't? Either both are playing like crap, or both are "learning first hand", or both are doing both. BOTH. Because they have been been just as invisible as each other and just as ineffective in the games. Matthews doing a couple hits in a 3rd period of game 1, doesn't erase what he has been doing the other 5 periods in this series, nothing on the offensive end.

Also funny enough, Matthews is a -2 in this series, Nylander is 0.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why is Matthews "learning first hand", and Nylander isn't. Why does Matthews get a pass, and Nylander doesn't? Either both are playing like crap, or both are "learning first hand", or both are doing both. BOTH. Because they have been been just as invisible as each other and just as ineffective in the games. Matthews doing a couple hits in a 3rd period of game 1, doesn't erase what he has been doing the other 5 periods in this series, nothing on the offensive end.

Also funny enough, Matthews is a -2 in this series, Nylander is 0.
I've seen more engagement from Matthews than Nylander. He's the one getting into the corners and fighting for the puck, no Nylander.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I've seen more engagement from Matthews than Nylander. He's the one getting into the corners and fighting for the puck, no Nylander.

That's just BS man, they both have been doing jack. Nylander has been just as engaging as Matthews, as in both have been good at being invisible when the game matters. If you are gonna bring corner battles as a plus for Matthews, Nylander has been more engaging in the offensive end in carrying the puck for offensive opportunities. The end result for both of them = zero points.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Leafs need to get Carrick in the lineup, preferably for Zaitsev, and get a lot faster at their transitions.

The Leafs need to get more physical. Period. It's understandable why a player like Marner is dodging hits. He's a smaller guy, and the Bruins have been targeting him since the start of the first game. The Wingells hit is a prime example. Chara already knocked Marner off the puck, then that lowly scrub came in and jumped up with an elbow to Marner's jaw as he was already falling down. But a player like JVR with his size, barely throwing hits in the offensive zone is a joke and a half. It's playoffs, and you have to get more physical. I watched a stream, and Jeremy Roenick called it last game. The Leafs are intimidated. They're not throwing their weight around. Their attitude is avoid the hit first, worry about where the puck goes second. That's why Boston is having their way with them right now.

Put Martin in the goddamn lineup already. Double shift him if you have to. I didn't want to see Komarov get injured, but Martin is likely to be far more damn effective than Leo at this point. Slot Martin in his place. Even on the damn PP. Have him stand in front of the net, and score some garbage goals, while being a human wrecking ball during 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: Kurtz

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Minnesota struck back against Winnipeg, we need to do the same on Monday or it's done.

By struck back, do you mean out scored Winnipeg or are you referring to the fight at the end of game 2 and then standing up to them in game 3 and not let Winnipeg push them around.

I don’t care if the Leafs get swept, but by gawd they had better fight back tomorrow. People are actually laughing at them.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Ouch. That was a terrible game #2. Not saying it's over but would have to be a David vs Goliath type to get past the first round. Guess we'll find out Monday night if the Leafs we've been watching all year come to play or the lost puppies of the playoffs.

As much as I haven't been a fan of Brown or Hyman this year, nothing against them but they haven't impressed me almost all year, they have changed my opinion of them this post season. Honestly the support cast has been the only silver lining in all of this mess, Kappanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Brown, Hyman. Of our big 3 I think only Marner has been working hard and Matthews finally showed some motivation at the end of the last game. I'm sorry but when you are the faces of a franchise then you're going to be scrutinized that much more, that's just life so no excuses.

Also LOL, I thought Babcock was trolling everyone with Komarov on the top line for practice...guess I was the fool for thinking this. Does anyone know if he's in for game 3? Not saying I like players being injured but having him out of the lineup can be a blessing in disguise?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Ouch. That was a terrible game #2. Not saying it's over but would have to be a David vs Goliath type to get past the first round. Guess we'll find out Monday night if the Leafs we've been watching all year come to play or the lost puppies of the playoffs.

As much as I haven't been a fan of Brown or Hyman this year, nothing against them but they haven't impressed me almost all year, they have changed my opinion of them this post season. Honestly the support cast has been the only silver lining in all of this mess, Kappanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Brown, Hyman. Of our big 3 I think only Marner has been working hard and Matthews finally showed some motivation at the end of the last game. I'm sorry but when you are the faces of a franchise then you're going to be scrutinized that much more, that's just life so no excuses.

Also LOL, I thought Babcock was trolling everyone with Komarov on the top line for practice...guess I was the fool for thinking this. Does anyone know if he's in for game 3? Not saying I like players being injured but having him out of the lineup can be a blessing in disguise?
Matthews was abysmal defensively as well. He's not been much better than Nylander in my opinion.

I think that even if Komarov is healthy, he'll be on the fourth line. Babcock had already moved him back there when he got injured after all.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I could see these problems a mile away...

My post from November 28th, 2017:

Leafs @ Flames Nov 28 9pm ET

He only has one Cup. To only win one cup with that core isn't exactly a huge accomplishment. Also, any idiot could coach a stacked team Canada to victory.

I'm not saying that he was never a good coach though. But the game changes and evolves. And if you don't change and evolve with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

All I can say is that, right now, my impression of him is that he isn't a good coach. I will go so far as to say he's actually a very bad coach.

Ya, we're doing well in the standings. Ya, we just had a 6 game win streak recently. But that's called being results oriented. I'm looking at his coaching objectively and I think it sucks. Ya, we've been winning despite his completely illogical decisions... but my concern is that this isn't going to be good enough to win a cup. Ya, we can beat teams like Carolina while playing like garbage... but that's not going to be good enough when we start going deep into the playoffs.

Also... are we not allowed to dislike Babcock? People rip on Gardiner, Andersen, etc. and that's all considered fair game. Yet when you rip on the coach, you get people saying "you drunk?"

His decisions with respect to the line combos, roster choices, ice time, etc. are borderline insane. Why is Hyman playing as much as Matthews? Why is Hyman playing MORE than Nylander, Kadri, etc. ? Why is Hyman playing in OT and late in the game when we're down a goal? He's stuck in the past with Martin the fighter. Let's guys like Leivo rot on the bench despite putting up good NHL numbers when given the chance. Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. I've seen enough already. There's just too many examples of him making horrible decisions.

Also, let's not forget that Babcock finished dead last in his first year of coaching here. Now, we all gave him a pass because we were tanking. In fact, many of us hoped he was coaching poorly on purpose. But when Babcock came here, all we heard was how he loved to win and hated to lose. So I think if you go back to that first year, I don't think Babcock was trying to tank. He was actually trying to win. That's what happens when Babcock coaches a bad team... they finish dead last. We all thought that his attempt at brilliant coaching was really just him trying to tank... but Babcock wasn't trying to tank. But after we got Matthews and brought up all our good players, not even Babcock's piss poor coaching could keep us out of the playoffs.

In Babcock's first year, he got a pass for putting a 4th liner on the top line. We all thought that was just his tanking strategy. But that was him just being himself and trying to win. Now... this year... we all rejoiced when we signed Marleau because we knew that would bump Hyman out of the top 9. But Babcock goes full ****** and starts putting Brown, Nylander, Marner, etc. on the 4th line instead. When we have depth like Leivo and Kapanen... we still use Martin. When there are plenty of options at center... we still use Moore. When we could use Dermott and get a huge upgrade to our defense, we use Polak instead. I thought this team was basically idiot proof. I thought it would be impossible to ice a bad team with this roster. But Babcock finds a way to ice 4 bad lines despite being overloaded with talent. The most successful line overall last year I think was Komarov - Kadri - Brown... and that was the only line he choose to mess with when we got Marleau. Kadri had 30 goals, Brown had 20... and they did a great job up against top competition. Why does he ruin that line to keep JVR - Bozak - Marner? We all knew that line had defensive problems. Why doesn't Babcock see it? Anyways... rant over. Babcock sucks. Thankfully, our team is so damn good this year that we're still doing really well despite his horrible coaching. I just know that we could be a whole lot better with a non-******ed coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->