Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mentioned it before, but if Boston hard matches the Bergeron line to Matthews, offloading Komarov on the Matthews line gives you: a) the ability to have Komarov on Marchand and b) improves your other lines by not having Komarov on them (ie having Johansson on there instead). Theoretically your lower line depth is much better and is an advantage. Then your top line getting neutralized isn’t as big a deal, as long as that line can hold its own against the Bergeron line and not let them get 500 goals.

That’s likely Babcock’s thinking.

Gotta hope it works.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Mentioned it before, but if Boston hard matches the Bergeron line to Matthews, offloading Komarov on the Matthews line gives you: a) the ability to have Komarov on Marchand and b) improves your other lines by not having Komarov on them (ie having Johansson on there instead). Theoretically your lower line depth is much better and is an advantage. Then your top line getting neutralized isn’t as big a deal, as long as that line can hold its own against the Bergeron line and not let them get 500 goals.

We should be avoiding the Marchand-Komarov match up, not actively pursuing it. Marchand will embarrass Komarov. That line absolutely killed Plekanec’s line last game.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
It's not over yet. Have some faith some of you.

Still excited as hell for Gam #2 and just want to see the boys play like they have been all year. No need to change that up now.

GLG!!

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
We should be avoiding the Marchand-Komarov match up, not actively pursuing it. Marchand will embarrass Komarov. That line absolutely killed Plekanec’s line last game.
If you watch the 3rd goal, it looks like Plekanec and Hainsey are the ones that f***ed that up. They let Marchand go and then both collapse toward Marchand leaving Pastrnak wide open. Komarov is actually decent defensively but just doesn’t mesh well with Plekanec imo. The fact that Marchand was licking Komarov is a good thing, the more stupid stuff we try and get him to do, the better.

Reactions: IBeL34f

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If you watch the 3rd goal, it looks like Plekanec and Hainsey are the ones that ****ed that up. They let Marchand go and then both collapse toward Marchand leaving Pastrnak wide open. Komarov is actually decent defensively but just doesn’t mesh well with Plekanec imo. The fact that Marchand was licking Komarov is a good thing, the more stupid stuff we try and get him to do, the better.

I don't have a problem with putting Komarov on the Matthews line if they are going to be hard matched against Machand/Bergeron/Pasta. But, to me if that is the case they should move Nylander off the line to try to go up against inferior lines. Either Komarov-Matthews-Hyman or Komarov-Matthews-Brown. Try to get some offense from the other lines, and hope like hell that the PP and PK come through.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I don't have a problem with putting Komarov on the Matthews line if they are going to be hard matched against Machand/Bergeron/Pasta. But, to me if that is the case they should move Nylander off the line to try to go up against inferior lines. Either Komarov-Matthews-Hyman or Komarov-Matthews-Brown. Try to get some offense from the other lines, and hope like hell that the PP and PK come through.
Problem is if you do that, they won’t hard match Bergeron to that line, they’ll hardmatch to the Nylander - Marner line. So no point.

The bottom line is that Babcock is gonna be really fluid with these lines going forward. We may very well see Hyman take a few shifts with Matthews and Nylander, or Johnsson do that. The Babcock Blender will be in full effect imo.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Problem is if you do that, they won’t hard match Bergeron to that line, they’ll hardmatch to the Nylander - Marner line. So no point.

I wasn't going to put Marner and Nylander together. Perhaps:

Komarov-Matthews-Brown
Hyman-Marleau-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Johnsson-Plek-Kapanen

or even

Komarov-Matthews-Brown
Hyman-Marleau-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Kap
Johnsson-Plek-Nylander

I would prefer they try out a stacked PP1 for most of the PP time, as I feel that Boston has figured out both units - don't worry about anyone except for Marner on the PP1 and don't worry about anything except he royal road pass between Nylander and Matthews on the PP2.

I would like to see them try JVR-Marner-Matthews-Nylander-Rielly. I realize that leaves an anemic PP2 (I would run it with 2D - Gardiner-Dermott-Marleau-Johnsson-Bozak)

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Lets hope for some Marlie Magic tmr from Kap and AJ... hope those 2 have some notepads filled with plays and are showing them to pleks.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Bring it on. I have had enough of walking the Boston streets. Lets hope that the Leafs can figure out a way to skate/pass through the Bruins quarter ice game. Also we need Rielly to show up. I saw it mentioned somewhere on here he was a 5 or whatever on some stat you guys use. Don't know that stuff but saw him on his keister all night long. Use your speed and get back faster so you have time to make a play. Can't bear to watch him get hammered all game long.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
All you have to do is look at the VGK vs. Kings game last night.

Hits: Kings - 80
Knights - 56

Shots: Kings - 30
Knights - 56

Score: Knights 2 - Kings 1

This is how we beat the Bruins. **** "matching their physical play". Shoot the lights out, let them wear themselves out throwing around their giant bodies. Its 2018 not 1974.

Reactions: Pi

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Komarov plays on Matthews wing instead of Marleau's because of last change. Boston at home have last change, so they will constantly be matching with Matthews line, who (I hate to say it) is the second worst line defensively, so you throw Komarov out there to help them out. If Boston counters by matching with any other line, it leaves our top line to play a weaker matchup.

Once we return to the ACC and get last change, I expect Komarov to be moved to the Marleau line, and for them to be matched with the Bergeron line. This frees up our top line and helps us continue to use Komarov and to a lesser extent Marleau to defend against their top line.

Meanwhile, our 4th line will be flying offensively with Johnsson instead of Komarov. They might even start matching their 2nd line with our fourth line, freeing up Hyman - Marleau - Marner to feast on a weaker matchup.

This lineup maximizes our depth, and as long as Marleau can fill in for Kadri (and be more composed), we should get out of the next 3 games with 2 wins.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Agreee with HouseofBuggins lines shmines means nothing ... we know what they are going to do now ... Babcock now go coach these kids in how to play through the small ice game. drop the EGO. all us hockey guys know how to combat it now go execute. no excuses make it happen.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
We need to take over the game early. Boston is still struggling in the first period and we are the best first period team in the league. The key is to jump on them early, something we definitely did NOT do last night. Need to start strong.

We did many things wrong the first game including what you said. Hopefully we tighten things up tonight.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So the pens were down late and pulled the goalie...
And who goes out there?...Crosby,Malkin, and kessel......their 3 stars..
But what does their coach know about hockey? How many Stanley cups has he won?
Who usually goes out when our goalie is pulled?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Watching other teams playoff series why must we be pretty much the only team that doesnt stack their #1 PP?Instead Matthews and Nylander must play with Komarov.

I understand we were successful in the regular season but when things are going dry why not give it a chance?

Because they have been successful ?

Number 2 PP in the NHL for the season and they had 2 excellent power plays on Thursday where they were a bit unlucky. How the f*** is that going dry?

And of course, the obligatory attempt to slap some goat horns on Komarov.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I have seen teams meltdown from one game before. No hockey team comes to mind, but the 2014 Portuguese World Cup team fell apart/got beat out in 1 game.

I have a terrible feeling that TOR did this to themselves.

I know TOR can play better, but game 2 now becomes everything for them. If they don't get it in order, show that the 1st game was just a hiccup, then I am afraid Boston will make quick work of them.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I really think Kadri did heavy damage to his own club. He's not even a scapegoat. He is responsible.

Reactions: TMLrBest

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If they move Nylander off and go Komarov-Matthews-Hyman (or Brown), then Boston has no need to match the Bergy line against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad