Ecklund to host chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Toonces said:
No, that's not strange from where I'm from. He could have refered to him as Mr. Meltzer, but it's probably easier to type Bill.
Which is why I said generally. Some people do, and it's a grain of salt thing but something I found a bit interesting.

Nobody should put any weight into what he says anyway.
Agreed, until he can give us valid reason that we should.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
Plus didn't he say in his post yesterday that he was at the some hotel in TO that the meeting was held last week. The mtg today is at Sutton Place and why isn't he hanging around there to get as much info as possible?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
pkwjr said:
Plus didn't he say in his post yesterday that he was at the some hotel in TO that the meeting was held last week. The mtg today is at Sutton Place and why isn't he hanging around there to get as much info as possible?
It's not on my screen anymore, but I'm almost certain he said that it wasn't announced where the meetings are. Can someone confirm?

EDIT: Found it.

<Eklund> negotiations are in a hotel...can't really say where..but alot of us are here.

And from this... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050126.wnhl26/BNStory/Sports/

Word circulated Wednesday morning that the meeting was at the Sutton Place Hotel in downtown Toronto. But media were later asked to leave the hotel and neither the NHL Players' Association or the NHL would confirm where the meeting was taking place.

Clearly it's at the Sutton, and it's basically public knowledge.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Chat is over!

<Eklund> He heard that there was a call to the NHL officethat got people buzzing....but it wasn't related to the talks...sorry!
<Eklund> I am IM'ing him while I'm doing this quite difficult
<Dudgee> is this thing on??? so who thinks Goodenow will quit or be canned?
<Eklund> I think Goodenow will leave for "personal reasons"
<Guest1819> new drop dead date?
<Guest1937> Who shot Kennedy?
<Eklund> There won't need to be a drop dead date..
<Eklund> Oswell acted alone
<Guest2020> do you think it will reach resolution (or at least a framework for resolution) at today's meeting
<Guest1940> Are they planning to have updates at the end of each day or will they be secretive until they actually have finished the deal?
<Eklund> I think it may already have...if you go by the level of secrecy surrounding today
<Guest1956> OSWELL DID ACT ALONE, IT WAS PROVEN ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL
<duckdad> Is it naive to think that the secondary meeting about rule changes is an indicator a deal is all but done and they need to make some quick decisions
about what, if any rule changes they will put into place?
<Eklund> I will try and find out some stuff today...I will be seeing my source tonight for dinner...
<Guest2255> it was oswald, not oswell.
<Guest2430> How much time does the league have to give to the arenas to let them know there is a season?
<Eklund> not it isn't naive to think that...this coaches meeting happened very suddenly
<Guest1994> What changes are to be expected with the entry draft and rookie salaries?
<Eklund> Onthe arenas....good question
<Guest2620> has the announcment out of Edmonton had any impact on todays meeting?
<Eklund> entry draft none...
<Eklund> no...just more posturing
<Eklund> the arenas...may havbe already suspended that 45 day rule...I just don't know...the season will start in less than 45 days I believe
<Guest3337> Please provide some sort of snippet of your legitimacy, like what job you held with the NHL teams you've said you worked for?
<Guest3082> Do you have any idea when the season will start or how many games there will be?
<Eklund> I interner with the Nords...worked in the NHL office for two years
<Guest448> 4,0Did you get fired?
<Eklund> no idea how manyh games
<Habs4Life> Hello
<Habs4Life> Eklund you the ex-philly player?
<Eklund> yes, I got fired for stealinbg stuff
<Guest3557> what do you expect to learn from your dinner with your 'source' tonight? and may i join you?
<Eklund> no I'm named after him
<Handtrick> 1] Is the rollback going to alleviate the need for any type of dispersal draft? 2] Is the franchise tag clause soley to get the Pronger's, etc. on board? 3]
Are you still hearing anything about lowering the free agent age to 27 or 28?
<Eklund> are you buying?
<Guest5624> where were the negotiations held today?
<Eklund> 1. no. 2. no..they want star players in big markets.yesw
<Guest2308> Any idea on how they'll deal with all the free agents to start this season?
<Eklund> negotiations are in a hotel...can't really say where..but alot of us are here.
<Eklund> The free agent question is a great question...especially for the Bruins
<Guest2999> 1,0I wonder if they have reached an agreement, if they are close, and how soon would they announce it?
<jratelle19> Will the new salary structure follow what you posted yesterday where the 2nd through 6th highest paid players on the team will be capped? And if so,
how much will that cap be?
<kmad> 1) Are there any talks of contraction or moving any teams? 2) How is Bettman trying to fight contraction in recent talks? 3) Which side of the two NHL
owner camps is Gary Bettman supported by? 4) Any word on arbitration/RFA specifics? 5) Will a cap directly affect ticket prices?
<MikkoMakela> How involved is Mario Lemieux in the Negotiations?
<Eklund> not sure on the new salary structure
<kev1978ca> 1. how is my buddy garrioch doing? 2. have any players actually confided in you that there would be a season?
<Eklund> hold up/
<Eklund> I need to catch up
<isles15> EKLUND WHAT DO U THINK THE PERCENT CHANCE IOS THAT THEY WILL COME WITH AN AGREEMENT TODAY?
<Eklund> No contraction..will not happen...I just got word that they might announce a deal in principle...that would get the guys back...then they will work outt he
rest
<Guest4191> Eklund, do all players have clauses to come back from Europe if there's a season?
<Eklund> mario is very involved..both sides trust him...yes some players have contacted me
<Eklund> yes the players do
<Lockout05> 1,0Any word on how the meeting is going and when it started?
<Guest3603> So think its just a quinky dink that the coaches are meeting TODAY?
<Eklund> chances that it will happen today...anyone's guess
<Eklund> The meeting is going well, I've heard...I hope to find out tonight
<Ijkla> 14,0If Ritchie Regher and Robyn Regher both play for Calgary at the same time, what do they put on the back of their jerseys for the name?
<likea> Eklund, will the CBA that they are working on be good for the small market teams, if so how so?
<Eklund> Not as good as they hoped....but it will be better
<nevernamed> Eklund - first off. thanks for giving us something positive to hold on to.. i really believe they wont let the season go. What other major roadblocks
existed aside from the cap itself? i hope you're correct in hearing they heard a deal in principle!
<joe_strummer> I was reading about the NHL's previous revenue sharing, what is the proposed revenue sharing plan now?
<Eklund> the other roadblocks are worked out for the most part
<Eklund> I need to run soon...same time tomorrow?
<Jobu> Hey Meltz, we need to catch up.
<Eklund> NBC is a big factor
<Eklund> I want to thank WIGGY!!!!!You made this possible...I will update the blog late tonight.
<Eklund> a bientot

Go Flames Go*

LOL@ Anyone that believes this childs crap. He is making things up as he goes, anyone could do this just to get a kick out of people.

Rageinthecage

Aug 5, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
LOL@ Anyone that believes this childs crap. He is making things up as he goes, anyone could do this just to get a kick out of people.

It most likely is garbage, definitely. But you aren't in contact w/ Hotchkiss either, Diggy Dog. Why so immature anyways?

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
From his blog yesterday:

The Light at the End of the Tunnel
Not such a secret location. The press has been asked to keep it secret, but I'm hearing I am in the same hotel as they are. They've met here before.

I don't think the two sides met at Sutton Place before.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Rageinthecage said:
It most likely is garbage, definitely. But you aren't in contact w/ Hotchkiss either, Diggy Dog. Why so immature anyways?

:handclap:

Because he is, like he claims Eklund to be, a 14 year old kid in his parent's basement.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the desperation to catch this guy on any minute detail is gettin gway out of hand. if you dont like him, stop reading. go somewhere else. everyone is desperate to be the first person to say "i told you so", its like kindergarten. believe it or dont, let the people who want to hear this stuff alone. its at least interesting.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
the desperation to catch this guy on any minute detail is gettin gway out of hand. if you dont like him, stop reading. go somewhere else. everyone is desperate to be the first person to say "i told you so", its like kindergarten. believe it or dont, let the people who want to hear this stuff alone. its at least interesting.
He speaks so generally that there is nothing else to call him on. I have yet to see one reason to believe him, or anyone to give me a reason to believe him. I don't find it interesting that people are flocking to this guy with little explanation as to why to listen to him, I'd find it almost sad that people are so easily willing to believe.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
He speaks so generally that there is nothing else to call him on. I have yet to see one reason to believe him, or anyone to give me a reason to believe him. I don't find it interesting that people are flocking to this guy with little explanation as to why to listen to him, I'd find it almost sad that people are so easily willing to believe.
thats fine, and a perfectly legit pov - you dont have to stay.
people want to hear anything positive after all this crap weve had to hear, so theyre sticking around to hear what he says. he hasnt said enough to make you believe anything....fine, again dont stay. i hear way more people tearing him down than people "flocking" to him - most people who arent tearing him down are just saying they want to hear what he says. i dont think anyone believes this guy 100%. its sad, fine - dont read on.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
thats fine, and a perfectly legit pov - you dont have to stay.
people want to hear anything positive after all this crap weve had to hear, so theyre sticking around to hear what he says. he hasnt said enough to make you believe anything....fine, again dont stay. i hear way more people tearing him down than people "flocking" to him - most people who arent tearing him down are just saying they want to hear what he says. i dont think anyone believes this guy 100%. its sad, fine - dont read on.
I'll stay for as long as I please. My coming and going is not for you to decide.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Go Flames Go said:
how does it effect you if people anybody believes him?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:

Why do you care? It seems like you are splitting hairs to pull apart what he is saying. If you dont like what he has to say, dont listen? You people who dont like him are literally obsessed with him. You post far more than people who do enjoy reading his "news". If you dont like what he has to say, turn the other way.

If you are worried about listening to bad information then I would also have to assume that Sportsnet, Fan 590, Larry Brooks, Bruce Garrioch, Al Strachan are all on your list too, right?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Dr Love said:
Am I the only one who thinks that he comes across as him knowing Meltzer (or being him)? Generally when you talk about someone you don't know, you don't call them by their first name only.

Eklund posts at several Flyers-specific boards, all of in which Bill Meltzer is fairly well-known. Now I'm not saying that he isn't Bill Meltzer. In fact, if it comes to pass that Eklund got something right in his predictions, Bill Meltzer would definitely be a logical assumption.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
I'll stay for as long as I please. My coming and going is not for you to decide.
people who want to read this stuff arent for you to judge sad, either. people shouldnt have to be berated just to read a thread that has some hope in it, god forbid they respond and say something positive. people who sit around trying to make other people feel stupid for being interested in a topic is sad. no one here is making up a bad havlat trade - they shouldnt be flamed for showing support.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Bruwinz37 said:
Why do you care? It seems like you are splitting hairs to pull apart what he is saying. If you dont like what he has to say, dont listen? You people who dont like him are literally obsessed with him. You post far more than people who do enjoy reading his "news". If you dont like what he has to say, turn the other way.
Splitting hairs? Hardly, it probably has taken me longer to type my thoughts on this than it actually takes to have thoughts on this.

If you are worried about listening to bad information then I would also have to assume that Sportsnet, Fan 590, Larry Brooks, Bruce Garrioch, Al Strachan are all on your list too, right?
Well I don't get Sportsnet or Fan 590, and I don't read any of those writers. So yes. And there in lies the point. You know those sources are unreliable. Well, most people do. And those who don't, well, they're not going to change. But this guy Eklund, he has no basis of credibility, and I hope more and more people notice that. That's why I care. I hate seeing people acting foolishly, drinking the Kool Aid and not taking a step back to think for themselves. People believe things because they want to believe. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
people who want to read this stuff arent for you to judge sad, either. people shouldnt have to be berated just to read a thread that has some hope in it, god forbid they respond and say something positive. people who sit around trying to make other people feel stupid for being interested in a topic is sad. no one here is making up a bad havlat trade - they shouldnt be flamed for showing support.
Relax kiddo. I said it's almost sad. But that's neither here nor there. What Eklund says holds no more weight than anything said on this board, and I don't see people taking a truly vested interest in what posters here are saying. You're clearly not taking my opinon with even a grain of salt, which is totally fine, but what makes you take Eklund's?

Reponses about me only get me worked up a bit. How about responding about Eklund's credibility, or what he has said, what has come to fruitition, and how accurate he's been? Or would rather play unintentional strawman?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
PitkanenPower said:
Eklund posts at several Flyers-specific boards, all of in which Bill Meltzer is fairly well-known. Now I'm not saying that he isn't Bill Meltzer. In fact, if it comes to pass that Eklund got something right in his predictions, Bill Meltzer would definitely be a logical assumption.
Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. The only Flyers board I go to is the one here, so I don't know anything at O&B or any other board.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
SBut this guy Eklund, he has no basis of credibility, and I hope more and more people notice that. That's why I care. I hate seeing people acting foolishly, drinking the Kool Aid and not taking a step back to think for themselves. People believe things because they want to believe. That doesn't do anyone any good.
a) i read brooks all the time, this guyimo has all the credibility brooks does. brooks has none, so why is this guy unreadable?

b) i never "drank the koolaid", and i always think for myself. i dont assume anything this guy says is true, i just like reading along for a different pov - this guy is easier to read than a lot of people on the boards. there are people on the boards i respect enough to think they might know something, i give this guy the same amount of respect at this point. enough to listen, not enough to believe anything. grain of salt with it all.

c) i havent read anyone who believes this guy 100%, so exactly who is acting foolishly?

ps, not that it was insulting, but im probably older than most people around here.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
a) i read brooks all the time, this guyimo has all the credibility brooks does. brooks has none, so why is this guy unreadable?
Brooks is a professional sports writer. Whether or not he is reliable or an idiot, that is credibility. AFAIK, Eklund is not a professional sports writer. He might be, but we don't know.

b) i never "drank the koolaid", and i always think for myself. i dont assume anything this guy says is true, i just like reading along for a different pov - this guy is easier to read than a lot of people on the boards. there are people on the boards i respect enough to think they might no something, i give this guy the same amount of respect at this point. enough to listen, not enough to believe anything. grain of salt with it all.
Did I say you in specific? No, I did not. I was talking about as a whole.

c) i havent read anyone who believes this guy 100%, so exactly who is acting foolishly?
A number of people in the chat came across as believing that he had actual inside information. And the number of threads created about his blog indicate to me that a decent number of people have at least some belief in him.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Well I don't get Sportsnet or Fan 590, and I don't read any of those writers. So yes. And there in lies the point. You know those sources are unreliable. Well, most people do. And those who don't, well, they're not going to change. But this guy Eklund, he has no basis of credibility, and I hope more and more people notice that. That's why I care. I hate seeing people acting foolishly, drinking the Kool Aid and not taking a step back to think for themselves. People believe things because they want to believe. That doesn't do anyone any good.

So here is my point. Every time you see a thread based on a column from one of those guys offering up rumors do you hijack the thread and go off on rants on how wrong they are and that you can't believe anyone reads them?

Why cant you leave it alone and let people enjoy it without you pissing all over it? And please save the line about credibility. IMO it is much worse to make up rumors if you are a national sports writer than a guy running a web-log.

Thanks for trying to "save" us, but we will do fine on our own.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Bruwinz37 said:
So here is my point. Every time you see a thread based on a column from one of those guys offering up rumors do you hijack the thread and go off on rants on how wrong they are and that you can't believe anyone reads them?
1) No, because people already know what they're getting with said columns (Although at Baseball Primer I rail columnists when they mail it in or are full of it). When a Larry Brooks article is posted, nobody believes it. I don't think you're quite getting my point.

2) They're professional writers. I might disagree with them, but they've earned the right to have their opinon published.

Why cant you leave it alone and let people enjoy it without you pissing all over it? And please save the line about credibility. IMO it is much worse to make up rumors if you are a national sports writer than a guy running a web-log.
I could if people would respond to the questions I posed instead of replying about me. It makes for much better conversation. In all these replies, neither you nor bleeding green has given me reason to believe Eklund, you've always gone after me instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad