ECHL Reno

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Can someone please enlighten me as to why the owner(s) of the long dormant ECHL Raiders would continue to pay exorbinant yearly fees to maintain they're ECHL member status year after year? There hasn't been any talk of an arena in Reno in years and to my knowledge there isn't even close to being a light at the end of the tunnel on this front.

Was the owner at one point paying the yearly fees buoyed with a real sense of genuine optimism that a new arena could get built or the existing facility the necessary upgrades, or was it always a hope and a prayer with little chance. I notice that Our Sports Central still has Reno and Columbia under expansion/dormant status under the ECHL tab. I do remember the Central Hockey League at least looking at nearby Sparks, Nv. and the possibility of an arena there as well and it faded quickly. Also does anyone know of anything that is happening with Columbia? Any thoughts, insight, and comments are appreciated as always.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I have wondered the same thing myself. As far as Columbia, it was stated they were looking for land to build a new arena, but the locals could never agree on the location. Haven't heard any new news this past hockey season, so to me the ECHL should just remove both of these teams from their "future teams" lists.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Can someone please enlighten me as to why the owner(s) of the long dormant ECHL Raiders would continue to pay exorbinant yearly fees to maintain they're ECHL member status year after year?

They set up their dormancy fees as an auto-debit from their bank account, and forgot that's why they get a yearly hit every May/June or so?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Aware. Was too lazy to seperate the 2. If I recall they were a punching bag in the South Division.

Your recollection is rusty. They made the playoffs all but two seasons and made it to the Kelly Cup Finals in 2002-2003 and won their division banner for three consecutive years and had a total win-loss record of 252-188-16-48. Hardly a punching bag.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Your recollection is rusty. They made the playoffs all but two seasons and made it to the Kelly Cup Finals in 2002-2003 and won their division banner for three consecutive years and had a total win-loss record of 252-188-16-48. Hardly a punching bag.

Hard to remember them all lol. South has had so many teamsa and used to have like 9 or 10 team division all the time.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah it's been more than 4 months too. I think somewhere between 2-4 years they have a lot sitting empty with a fence around it. Cross Columbia off the list and Reno is most likely done. That's been sitting on the ECHL's site of future markets for as long as I can remember.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Prode and prestige for what??? The only "people" who follow the league even know about Reno are those who use the internet mwssage boards, they will never ice.

Prestige of having a hockey team that never plays a game? Wow, people must be really astonished by that. :naughty:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I think there's one tenuously logical reason to keep paying the Reno membership fee.

You're negotiating something with Reno... or Sparks. "Hey, you build that arena I'm asking for, I'll throw this X in to make it worth your while, as long as you grease the process so I can get X built."

What you really want is the X. When it comes to Nevada, X is more than likely something gambling-related... though a deal along the lines of what Reno Aces got isn't out of the question.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad