ECHL in Springfield???

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
From what i've heard, the Arizona Coyotes have purchased their AHL affiliate the Springfield Falcons, with plans to bring them to Tucson Arizona for 2016-17 season.

Since the AHLs HQ are in Springfield, im wondering if they will pursue to try and get AHL back, or go the easier route with an ECHL team.

Thoughts??

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
They want an AHL team to be there, so they will likely try getting a team to move there before making the effort of getting an ECHL team.

If there isn't an AHL team in the same city as the AHL offices, it won't be the end of the world. But that's probably the route that will be taken. Keep in mind there isn't any team where the ECHL offices are either.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think the ECHL would be happy to be there. Set up a nice corridor of New England/North East rivalries with MAN, WOR, ADK, SPR, and ELM.

Sad to see the AHL possibly done there. I doubt the prospect of a lower level league coming in is going to spike the interest of Springfield.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Wait, next season they will be in Tucson? They will struggle to get a replacement franchise there in such short notice.

They will be in Tuscon for 2016-2017, if they get the lease finalized in Tuscon, and they get approval from the AHL board of governors. So if someone in Springfield is going to try to bring in a team immediately they won't be able to do anything official until after those items are settled in a few weeks. I expect Springfield will be without hockey for at least one season. Maybe two if they can't put together an ECHL ownership group in time to apply and be considered at the summer meetings. If they end up waiting until the fall to apply and are approved in Jan/Feb like Worcester was, it would probably be for the 18-19 season.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
They will be in Tuscon for 2016-2017, if they get the lease finalized in Tuscon, and they get approval from the AHL board of governors. So if someone in Springfield is going to try to bring in a team immediately they won't be able to do anything official until after those items are settled in a few weeks. I expect Springfield will be without hockey for at least one season. Maybe two if they can't put together an ECHL ownership group in time to apply and be considered at the summer meetings. If they end up waiting until the fall to apply and are approved in Jan/Feb like Worcester was, it would probably be for the 18-19 season.

If someone told me I had to wait two years as we are putting a team together I wouldn't even get excited or offer any money lol. Having to wait out a hockey season is ok. Gives you time to miss hockey, miss going to the games, but with all that can go wrong in waiting two seasons it's just not something I would be excited over. I think Adirondack did it right. Did they draw well, no they didn't and had a dissapoiting season at the gates but they came in and got going. They are in the Kelly Cup playoffs, playing some springtime hockey. The ECHL ASG next winter, come fall fans will yearn again for more hockey and I bet their attendance ticks upward next year.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If someone told me I had to wait two years as we are putting a team together I wouldn't even get excited or offer any money lol. Having to wait out a hockey season is ok. Gives you time to miss hockey, miss going to the games, but with all that can go wrong in waiting two seasons it's just not something I would be excited over. I think Adirondack did it right. Did they draw well, no they didn't and had a dissapoiting season at the gates but they came in and got going. They are in the Kelly Cup playoffs, playing some springtime hockey. The ECHL ASG next winter, come fall fans will yearn again for more hockey and I bet their attendance ticks upward next year.

Springfield can't do what Adirondack did unless the Coyotes buy an existing ECHL franchise and move it to Springfield to replace the AHL Falcons. The way the ECHL does business now for new ownership groups it's a virtual certainty 2018-19 will be the start date, with the possible exception of the former AHL Falcons owners purchasing the last ECHL expansion team and starting in 17-18.

Other than a current AHL or ECHL franchise moving to Springfield in the coming weeks they're going dark at least one year.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Well, they wouldn't do that. If they are approved for a team in early 2017 they would be out asking for commitments for season tickets next spring for a team that starts play in 2018. And they would likely only be looking for a minimal deposit at that point, like $25-$50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad