ECHL game in Lake Placid

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Wow I tried tuning in to the Thunder VS Reading game online and via Twitter in Lake Placid NY but the audio broadcast quality was awful. Only one goal scored, and only 1500 fans turned out in such a historic arena for hockey. Was the game not promoted well???? Seems like the game cost much more then it was worth to put on and promote. Logistics wise had to cost the team more then it was worth. Glen's Falls doesn't look all that far from Lake Placid and you still have Saranac, Tupper Lake, and Plattsburgh not too far away. I would have figured this event should have been close to a sell out. I guess the A-Thunder fans who do enjoy supporting the team won't have to worry they will relocate the team to Herb Brooks arena anytime soon lol atleast...I hope Adirondack can do better, and put on a decent ECHL All Star event next season. The fans protesting up that way are going to blow a good thing, sadly they won't realize it until there is no professional hockey to support and enjoy during those cold Adirondack winters.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Hey nightsquad, i am an Adirondack Thunder season ticket holder and I was at the game in Lake Placid yesterday. I did think that there would be more people and was disappointed in the turnout. There were also many reading royals fans there as well. I have been to everygame. (except the school day game) atthe civic center this year and the attendance has dipped a ton from last years ahl Adirondack Flames team. If they cant get people to come out to such a historic event like this, it might not look good for the all star game next year. Even if they get a new video scoreboard for the civic center. Maybe if we win kraft hockeyville it would bring people out but thats a longshot. I really hope fans come through soon, I dont want to lose another hockey team. Its really a great area its just that more than half the season ticket holders didnt renew their seats. I mean, its still pro hockey, Sure the refs are worse but would you rather have no hockey, or echl hockey. :handclap:

SEJ

Mar 14, 2016
I think it was a mistake to play the game at 7pm. I live in the Glens Falls area and was considering going to the game. I even turned in two of my Thunder flex tickets for the game yesterday, but I ended up not going. By the time the game ended and we got back to GF, it would've been around midnight (or close to it). If the game was on Saturday, that wouldn't have been as much of an issue, but on a Sunday, I think that was a lot to ask of people who likely have to wake up early on Monday for work.

I think the game should have been at 3pm, which is when the Thunder play their Sunday home games at the GFCC, or 5pm at the latest. Either of those times would have allowed people to get from GF to Lake Placid in time for the game and still get back home at a reasonable hour.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Yea I though the was strange, who has a 7pm start time on a Sunday????? That was such a poor front office decision. Even if you travelled from various points north in New York's north country, travel at that time of night this time of year could be tough. New York fortunately barely has had snow this year. I have family in Saratoga Springs and they said they have only gotten about 10 inches of snow the whole season. I can't see Lake Placid having only had ten inches of snow given its northerly location. If your down in Glens Falls, Queensbury, or Saratoga the trek home late is just not practical. I don't get these teams front office management, some have no clue as to what's good for the fans. Then they pull up stakes after blaming the markets for no support, then they move on to the next towns.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
They couldve moved the game to an earlier time i do agree. I know some of the front office staff so i will try and ask them whats up with the 7pm start time. I dont think they were able to use the civic center because of state basketball championships were happening there last weekend, but overall, it was a poor decision to have the game up there and i would be surprised if it made more money than a typical gfcc game on like a saturday or friday. Even the turn out of the game was horrible. 1-0 loss, Thats definately not going to make lake placid residents make the trip down to gf to catch a game. PS-i cant stand the royals :shakehead

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Still not sire I get the why here. Its not like an ECHL team there would work. Though I guess geographically it'd be good for the Chesters, Adirondack, Elmira, Reading and Brampton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad