ECHL.com's 2017-18 "Rookie Round-Up" Series

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Jimmy Mullin, Kalamazoo Wings
July 27, 2017

Every week leading up to October 13, the Rookie Round-Up will give ECHL fans the chance to get to know a rookie who has signed with an ECHL team for the 2017-18 season.

This week, the ECHL spoke with Jimmy Mullin of the Kalamazoo Wings. Mullin signed with the K-Wings for the 2016-17 season, but an injury during training camp sidelined him for the entire year. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Jimmy Mullin
Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
ECHL Team: Kalamazoo Wings
2016-17 Organization: Kalamazoo Wings (injured)

ECHL: You've had a year of experience around the Kalamazoo Wings and the community. What have you learned about this community in that time?

Jimmy Mullin: The Kalamazoo area is a very hard working area. They have a lot of teams to choose from - the Western Michigan Broncos football team was really good, the Western Michigan hockey team was really good. So it's our job to help out our team and the marketing department and go out and show everybody that "Hey, we're in town too!" I feel like our team as a whole, our Coaching Staff and Director of Public Relations/Broadcaster Joe Roberts did a great job of getting involved. Going to community events was something I enjoyed, especially since I was injured. I especially enjoyed the events with kids, so I'm happy that I was able to be a part of them. ...

ECHL: So, when the opportunity was presented to you, was it a no brainer to re-sign with Kalamazoo for the 2017-18 season?

JM: Yeah, definitely. I realized very quickly after getting hurt that if I was playing anywhere else, I may have been sent home. Right after the injury I went up to Coach Bootland and said "Hey, please don't send me home. If I would have been sent home and not part of a team, and not part of a community, I think my intrinsic motivation may have been a little hindered. I know everyone's goal is to make it to the NHL, but just being part of an atmosphere where you feel welcomed is huge. Towards the end of the season, I was asking to help with anything, even color commentating. So I helped color commentate, the team brought me on the road to do the playoff color commentating, it was a fun experience. I'll get involved with any aspect of the game, but it will be nice to actually get on the ice this season. I'm thrilled that Kalamazoo wanted me back. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-jimmy-mullin-kalamazoo-wings

Rookie Round-Up: Ricky DeRosa, Greenville Swamp Rabbits
August 1, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Ricky DeRosa of the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Ricky DeRosa
Hometown: Aston, Pa.
ECHL Team: Greenville Swamp Rabbits
2016-17 Team: Penn State University (38 gp, 4g, 9a, 13 pts.) ...

ECHL: Why did you choose to sign with the Swamp Rabbits?

(Ricky DeRosa): After conversations with Coach Gratz and my entire coaching staff at Penn State, I got a strong sense of how my abilities on the ice can make an immediate impact playing for Greenville. I believe my playing style correlates extremely well with how Coach Gratz coaches so I chose to sign with the Swamp Rabbits because the opportunity; what I do with that opportunity is up to me and I look forward to getting down to Greenville and am anxious to get the season underway. ...

ECHL: How are you spending your summer?

RD: I'm originally from outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania so I am currently skating/training there for the summer at a local spot and skating with the hockey legend Jim Watson (Broad Street Bully) who has been instrumental in my development growing up. While I'm not skating or training, I'm spending as much quality time with my family and girlfriend who also live close by. If I'm not doing either one of those two things, I spend an adequate amount of time back at Penn State helping run hockey camps for smaller children while training simultaneously. Penn State has become a second home and it's a little difficult to get away from that facility (Pegula Ice Arena). If I get a little off time I love to head down to the New Jersey beaches for a day or two and pick up a cheesesteak from the city on the way home (Tony Luke's). ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-ricky-derosa-greenville-swamp-rabbits

Rookie Round-Up: Robbie Baillargeon, South Carolina Stingrays
August 8, 2017

... For this week's piece, the ECHL spoke with Robbie Baillargeon of the South Carolina Stingrays- get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Robbie Baillargeon
Hometown: Enfield, CT
ECHL Team: South Carolina Stingrays
2016-17 Team: Arizona State University (28 GP, 9G, 12A, 21 PTS)

ECHL: So what made you decide to sign with the Stingrays for the 2017-18 ECHL Season?

Robbie Baillargeon: Well I know they've had a really good track record, especially recently, going to the Kelly Cup Finals two out of three years. It's very tough to do, in any league, to make the finals, especially when you have to grind it out in playoffs, so to do that, I know they have something special going on right now. I know Coach Warsofsky has done a great job and we kind of have some small connections. We went to the same prep school - obviously at different times - but we're both alumni of Cushing Academy up in Ashburnham, Massachusetts. His brother David played at Boston University - where I played for three years. I was able to meet David a couple times, so Coach and I kind of have that connection, especially with him being a New England guy too. It's always great to be around a New England guy especially in the hockey world. Also, about a week and a half before I signed, my old roommate and teammate from BU, Nick Roberto, signed with the Stingrays. I was pretty excited to see an old friend and teammate end up in the same spot I was - it will make the transition a little bit easier that I know someone, especially my former roommate who I was pretty close with. So everything just kind of seemed like the right fit with the Stingrays, and I'm looking forward to getting to work and getting started. ...

ECHL: What are you most looking forward to for you professional rookie season?

RB: I think just the lifestyle that the professionals have, just focusing on hockey. Obviously I played in college and we had class and practice and extracurricular activities sometimes on the side, so now I'll be able just to focus on hockey. I'll probably have a little bit more down time than I'm used to since I won't be taking any classes. So overall just the lifestyle, the team bonding that goes on, the road trips, and just how it's all about hockey. I know this season is going to be a lot more of a grind since we play about double the games as I played in college. I know it'll be more of a grind, but I think that's what makes the end of the year so special - you're going through that grind with your teammates and everyone's going through the same thing. So, I think, again, just the whole lifestyle that a professional season entails, I'm excited to see what comes with it. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-up-robbie-baillargeon

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Brock Beukeboom, Toledo Walleye
August 14, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Brock Beukeboom of the Toledo Walleye. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Brock Beukeboom
Hometown: Uxbridge, Ontario
ECHL Team: Toledo Walleye
2016-17 Team: University of Prince Edward Island (28 gp, 4g, 7a, 11 pts.)

ECHL: What should Walleye fans know about you?

Brock Beukeboom: I'm a solid two-way defenseman with a good work ethic. I try to make my opponents' life miserable, but at the same time, I play honest and fair. I'm a good team player and will do whatever it takes to win each time we hit the ice.

ECHL: Why did you choose to sign with Toledo?

BB: It's kind of an interesting story to be honest with you. I hadn't used Twitter in about two-and-a-half years and I decided one day that it would probably be a good idea to reactivate it. So I signed back in and the next day I had a message waiting for me from (Walleye head scout) Ed Burkholder. I knew Ed from when I played in Niagara (Ontario Hockey League), and he was on the radio broadcasts. He said he had some info for me and to call him. We had a great chat and gave me Dan Watson's number and said Dan was waiting for my call. I enjoyed talking with him and within a week we were able to get a deal done. I've heard it's a top-notch organization and one of the best cities to play in the ECHL, so I am definitely looking forward to getting there and getting started. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-brock-beukeboom-toledo-walleye

Rookie Round-Up: Emil Romig (Reading Royals)
August 22, 2017

Name: Emil Romig
Hometown: Vienna, Austria
ECHL Team: Reading Royals
2016-17 Organization: University of Denver (36 GP, 9G, 6A, 15PTS)

ECHL: What made you decide to sign with the Royals for the 2017-18 Season?

Emil Romig: I think it was pretty easy. After the season I talked to my agent and we decided that I wanted to stay in the United States for a couple more years. So my agent reached out to a couple teams, and out of those teams, the Royals were the first ones to respond. They showed by far the most interest. After talking to a couple people who had some connections to the organization and hearing all the good things about it- about the city, the place, the advancement opportunities- it was an easy decision to make for me.

ECHL: Hockey has taken you all over the map. What do you know about Reading? What are you looking forward to getting to know in another new place?

ER: Like you said, hockey has taken me everywhere. I grew up in Vienna, and I moved to the Czech Republic for three years, and then I was in Indiana and then Texas and now four years in Denver. Overall, it's just been a journey and Reading is going to be the next stop. I know the history and the background in that area is mostly industrial. I heard it's not a big city, but in Reading you have other opportunities. From what I heard it's within a couple of hours of New York, of Philadelphia, you know even Washington is a day trip or so. It will be different opportunities for sure. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-emil-romig

Rookie Round-Up: Troy Crema, Orlando Solar Bears
August 30, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Troy Crema of the Orlando Solar Bears. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Troy Crema
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario
ECHL Team: Orlando Solar Bears
2016-17 Team: Dartmouth College (31 gp, 17g, 12a, 29 pts.) ...

ECHL: What are you most looking forward to in your first season of pro hockey?

(Troy Crema): Just the competition and being able to go out there and compete against bigger and stronger players who have been in the League for a lot longer than me. I think going out there on a day-to-day basis in both practices and games will help me to become a better person and better player. I enjoy getting better every day and can't wait to get Orlando and get the process started.

ECHL: Why did you choose to sign in Orlando?

TC: I think coming from the college game, getting to play for Drake Berehowsky and the staff with the Solar Bears will be a huge benefit. They know how to develop players for the next level and I thought that training would be for the best. I also talked to other players who've played there and they have said that the entire organization is top notch and really takes care of the players. And you certainly can't complain about the weather, it'll be a nice change from the New England winters. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-troy-crema-orlando-solar-bears

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Mike Barrett, Cincinnati Cyclones
September 12, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Mike Barrett of the Cincinnati Cyclones. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Mike Barrett
Hometown: Orland Park, Illinois
ECHL Team: Cincinnati Cyclones
2016-17 Team: College of the Holy Cross (36 gp, 11g, 16a, 27 pts.)

ECHL: Why did you choose to sign with Cincinnati?

(Mike Barrett): It's a great organization with a lot of success in the past. Everyone I spoke to said that Cincinnati is a great place to play and they really take care of their players. It's a great city and I am looking forward to getting there. ...

ECHL: What are you most looking forward to in your first pro season?

MB: I'm most looking forward to hockey being my main focus. It's almost double the games I am used to playing in college, so that will be a nice change as well. I hope to come into the pro ranks and have some fun while having some team success at the same time. Finally, just looking forward to the ability to compete every night and win some games. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-mike-barrett-cincinnati-cyclones

Rookie Round-Up: Shaq Merasty, Wichita Thunder
September 12, 2017

... For this week's piece, the ECHL spoke with Shaq Merasty of the Wichita Thunder - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Shaq Merasty
Hometown: Minnedosa, MB
ECHL Team: Wichita Thunder
2016-17 Team: University of Manitoba (26 GP, 8G, 13A, 21 PTS)

ECHL: What made you decide to sign with the Thunder?

Shaq Merasty: My (University of Manitoba) Bison coach received a call from the coach in Wichita, Malcolm Cameron, and they had a pretty good chat. He (Cameron) reached out to me over the summer and we had a few good phone conversations. We talked and it seemed like a good conversation, a good fit, like I'd be getting a good opportunity there. From there I just let my agent deal with the contract part and it just kind of went from there. ...

ECHL: When you were younger and first got into hockey - was it ball hockey or ice hockey first?

SM: It was ice hockey first. I actually didn't start playing ball hockey till about summer of 2014, so about three years ago. In the off-season I work and train in Winnipeg because that's where I've been going to school the last three years. I have some family here and my girlfriend lives here as well. A couple of my old former teammates that I played junior hockey with, I knew they played ball hockey. They told me to come out to a couple of runs and I just kind of progressed from there. We have a league here in Winnipeg that runs from May through July and that prepares us for Worlds and also prepares Team Manitoba for Canadian Ball Hockey Championship. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-shaq-merasty-wichita-thunder

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Michael Pontarelli, Quad City Mallards
September 19, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Michael Pontarelli of the Quad City Mallards. He's eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional season - get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Michael Pontarelli
Hometown: Laval, Quebec
ECHL Team: Quad City Mallards
2016-17 Team: Union College (23 gp, 2g, 5a, 7 pts.)

ECHL: Why did you choose to sign in Quad City?

(Michael Pontarelli): It just seemed like a good fit to me. Ever since I started out talking to them I felt comfortable and seemed natural. They've made the playoffs for three straight years and have had a lot of success on the ice and everyone I talked to had good things to say about the organization, the arena and the area.

ECHL: You played five games with Norfolk last season after completing your collegiate career. Has that helped in your preparations for this season?

MP: Without a doubt that was a big help to me. The pro game is entirely different from college and I realized that pretty quickly my first game out there. It was good to get my feet wet and know what to expect coming into my rookie season. If I hadn't played those games, I wouldn't have known what to expect but now I feel like I am prepared and ready to go. ...

ECHL: What was it like to win the NCAA National Championship with Union College in 2014?

MP: That was without a doubt the best hockey moment of my life. You can only dream about winning a national title when you start your college career and it was a surreal feeling to actually accomplish it. The Championship Game was a back-and-forth game and when it was winding down I sort of just blacked out and don't remember much. We had so many good players that season that we never really doubted that we wouldn't win. It was a roller coaster for 60 minutes and when we iced the game in the closing minutes it was just a great feeling. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-up-michael-pontarelli-quad-city-mallards

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Connor Schmidt, Tulsa Oilers
September 28, 2017

... For this week’s piece, the ECHL spoke with Connor Schmidt of the Tulsa Oilers- get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Connor Schmidt
Hometown: Monroe, Michigan
ECHL Team: Tulsa Oilers
2016-17 Team: Utica College (25 gp, 3g, 12a, 5 pts., 78 PIMs)

ECHL: What made you decide to sign with Tulsa for the 2017-18 Season?

Connor Schmidt: To be honest, it was a very easy decision. My coach at Utica, Gary Heenan, spoke very highly of Coach Murray and the Tulsa organization. I was actually in the process of finalizing a contract with a team over in Europe when I received a call from Coach Murray. During our conversation, I felt an immediate connection. We talked about more than just hockey and it just felt right. It was too great of an opportunity to pass up. ...

ECHL: So how would you describe your game on the ice?

CS: I consider myself a two-way defenseman that likes to contribute on both ends of the ice. I have a very high hockey IQ and I feel like that’s a big reason why I’m in the position I’m in today with hockey. My game is filled with energy and competitiveness – I play with a lot of heart and a chip on my shoulder. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/rookie-round-up-connor-schmidt-tulsa-oilers

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Pierre-Luc Mercier, Adirondack Thunder
October 3, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Pierre-Luc Mercier of the Adirondack Thunder. He’s eagerly awaiting and preparing for his first professional game – get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Pierre-Luc Mercier
Hometown: Verdun, Quebec
ECHL Team: Adirondack Thunder
2016-17 Team: Bowling Green State University (40 gp, 6g, 13a, 19 pts.) ...

ECHL: Why did you decide to sign in Adirondack?

(Pierre-Luc Mercier): It’s close to home (less than three hours) and I haven’t played this close in a long time so that was appealing to me. Everyone I talked to with the organization was positive and really excited about the season. I can’t wait to get to town and get the season started. ...

ECHL: What is the most memorable moment of your hockey career to this point?

PLM: Just the opportunity to play some big games in front of some big crowds. My freshman or sophomore year at Bowling Green, we played at Ohio State and the arena was full, so that really gets you fired up as a player to play in front of a lot of people. In juniors, I won a championship, and that was a great feeling well. Anytime you can lift a cup at the end of the season with your teammates is a great memory. ...

Read more at: https://www.echl.com/rookie-round-pierre-luc-mercier-adirondack-thunder

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rookie Round-Up: Gage Ausmus, Colorado Eagles
October 10, 2017

... This week, the ECHL spoke with Gage Ausmus of the Colorado Eagles. After finishing his collegiate career with the University of North Dakota, he’s ready to get started on the next chapter – get to know him in this Q&A!

Name: Gage Ausmus
Hometown: East Grand Forks, Minnesota
ECHL Team: Colorado Eagles
2016-17 Team: University of North Dakota (38 GP, 2G, 7A, 9PTS) ...

ECHL: What made you decide to sign with the Eagles?

Gage Ausmus: Well, there are University of North Dakota ties to the Head Coach, Aaron Schneekloth. I had a couple friends that had played there last year – Clarke Saunders and Jake Marto from UND and have heard nothing but great things about the organization, so that made the decision pretty easy. ...

ECHL: You mentioned you already know some of the guys on the Eagles roster. Does that familiarity make things easier heading into the Season?

GA: Yes, there were also some guys at the Avalanche Rookie Camp that I attended this summer that have played with the Eagles or may end up there this Season. It definitely makes it better knowing some people to start the Season – it makes it a lot more enjoyable for the first month. But after that you end up making friends pretty quickly so it’s not too big of a deal if you come into it not knowing anyone. ...

Read more at: https://www.echl.com/rookie-round-gage-ausmus-colorado-eagles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->