ECHL Arena Photos

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NOTE TO ADMIN: I searched the last few years of Threads in this forum and couldn't find a similar topic. Feel free to merge if I missed it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife & I started following minor pro hockey 8 seasons ago and I've been taking photos of the arenas we've visited, posting them on my public Flickr page for sharing with other hockey fans. Nothing fancy or professional like the images that Les Stockton has been posting from his work in Tulsa; just a fan with a point-n-shoot camera. Here are links to my ECHL arena albums for anyone interested in viewing them. I encourage other fans to add arena photo links or images to this thread, so we can all enjoy them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If we're including former arenas, the once built as a livestock hall only Dorton Arena in Raleigh.

Dorton_Arena_West_Side.JPG

Yeah, the glass windows did not help the quality of the ice. :laugh:

Reactions: MotorCityBoy

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Panoramic views of arenas - RichsHockeyPics

There are mostly interiors here, and they are several years old. The software I was using for creating a panoramic view wasn't the greatest, so some have odd lighting effects due to stitching multiple images together. Also, more than half of these arenas are no longer hosting ECHL teams, and at least one (Toledo Sports Arena) doesn't even exist any more.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
NOTE TO ADMIN: I searched the last few years of Threads in this forum and couldn't find a similar topic. Feel free to merge if I missed it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife & I started following minor pro hockey 8 seasons ago and I've been taking photos of the arenas we've visited, posting them on my public Flickr page for sharing with other hockey fans. Nothing fancy or professional like the images that Les Stockton has been posting from his work in Tulsa; just a fan with a point-n-shoot camera. Here are links to my ECHL arena albums for anyone interested in viewing them. I encourage other fans to add arena photo links or images to this thread, so we can all enjoy them.
These are fantastic, thank you for sharing.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Just saw this on the ECHL youtube channel. Two guys looking at pictures of all the arenas and talking about them.

The review of the Glens Falls Civic Center (now the Cool Insuring Arena) is a little late. The yellow rafters are gone, and installed were brand new video boards and gorgeous center ice video board.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If we're including former arenas, the once built as a livestock hall only Dorton Arena in Raleigh.

Dorton_Arena_West_Side.JPG

Yeah, the glass windows did not help the quality of the ice. :laugh:

Also in the category of former arenas:

Carolina Coliseum (home of the Columbia Inferno)

1280px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

infernoice.JPG

James Brown Arena/Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center (Home of the Augusta Lynx)
James-Brown-Arena.jpg

arccc-w400-o.jpg

Florence City-County Civic Center (Home of the Pee Dee/Florence Pride)

5509de5cc8e59.image.jpg

Ice%20skating,%202015,%20view%20from%20afar

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Geez, the Florence Civic Center looks quite steep.

I have family that live in Augusta and they've said that there's rumors that the city is looking hard into building a new arena on an old mall site in addition to the new baseball stadium thats being built in North Augusta, SC. My guess is that the SPHL would take a look at Augusta if true. From what I understand, the James Brown Arena has significant problems with the A/C unit and the roof.

Shame the Inferno never got their arena built, but IIRC it was going to be built in an area with bad traffic. Somewhere in Irmo?

Since it looks like a picture of the Carolina Coliseum isn't loading (at least on my computer) here's a 2008 video of one of the last home games the Inferno played. Notice how the fans are right on top of the action.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Geez, the Florence Civic Center looks quite steep.

I have family that live in Augusta and they've said that there's rumors that the city is looking hard into building a new arena on an old mall site in addition to the new baseball stadium thats being built in North Augusta, SC. My guess is that the SPHL would take a look at Augusta if true. From what I understand, the James Brown Arena has significant problems with the A/C unit and the roof.

Shame the Inferno never got their arena built, but IIRC it was going to be built in an area with bad traffic. Somewhere in Irmo?

Since it looks like a picture of the Carolina Coliseum isn't loading (at least on my computer) here's a 2008 video of one of the last home games the Inferno played. Notice how the fans are right on top of the action.

I'll see if I can find another picture of it somewhere. As for the abortive plans to build a new arena - Carolina Coliseum was never supposed to be the team's longterm home. The arena wasn't really suited for it and the rink wasn't regulation size (IIRC it was somewhere along the lines of the Boston Garden and the team routinely used a single zamboni to resurface it). The original plan was for the team to move over to the Colonial Center (now Colonial Life Arena) when it was finished. That would have been in lines with plans to completely abandon the Coliseum and demolish it for something else (IIRC new space for either the Journalism School, which already had space in the Coliseum, or for the Business School). However, USC's administration pulled a bait and switch by saying that if a pro team played in the new arena that would make the bonds the arena was built with taxable and they couldn't have that (never mind the fact that USC marketed the arena as a potential home for both the Inferno and an Arena Football team). Additionally when they released the hockey seating diagram it sucked - think Barclay Center level of suck. So the team owners knew the Coliseum wasn't tenable so they first set their sights on land near Columbia Metropolitan Airport at the intersection of Old Dunbar Rd & Creekside Rd in a fairly industrial part of West Columbia. That never came to fruition and the next site the owners had their sights set on was at Bush River Rd at St. Andrews Rd. in Irmo (I assume where that soccer park currently sits). That definitely would have been a high traffic area and again, the plans were ultimately scrapped. I'd be curious about seeing another go be made of building a new arena on the Bull Street Commons property near the new ballpark, but I doubt that'll ever come to bear.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
you should see the ATL Glads arena now. it's still one of the nicest in the "E" but now they've removed almost all the lower level seating behind the "Glads shoot twice" end. apparently late last season someone (probably drunk or on their phone or both) slipped off the edge (it's the kind that pushes up) and injured his/her leg so the arena's solution was to just keep it folded up now. stupid.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
When did this turn into a Wall Street thread? ;)

tenor.gif

(Actually, well done joke but I love that .gif too much not to use it. I expected a site/sight joke at first!)

Columbia just has an odd history of proposed sites for arenas/ballparks. When the Capital City Bombers (Low-A, South Atlantic League) were originally angling for a new stadium to replace Capital City Stadium one of the options put forth was, no joke, the old city landfill that had been capped and covered. The city would have donated the land to the team and the team would have been responsible for building the stadium on its own. That didn't fly. Another proposal was at The Village at Sandhill mixed use/shopping center until that got nixed by NIMBYs afraid of traffic/light/noise pollution. So really an arena site in the middle of nowhere near the airport and right in the heart of one of the busiest parts of town really shouldn't surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->