Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I signed a kid out of College from Japan that played at some US highschool and then went to the NCAA. He wasn't great but he was fine for the AHL and I just wanted him for the fun of it. Lost the save a long time ago, but still it was pretty cool to see.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
hernando back.jpg
hernando front.png
So, thanks to Nino, I was trying to look at some players that have come out of some "non-traditional" hockey markets and found one example how adding junior players can somewhat affect the variety of where someone can generate.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
To reply to my post above, and like what Nino said before, I'm not sure how much "international variety" some people like in their saves but toggling with the database does improve it somewhat.

I've noticed that the Import Draft does a great job at highlighting up and coming players, but very often the Top 10 picks never end up coming over to play in juniors. Hernando did end up playing in juniors, and is actually adjusting more and more to the NHL level. (using 9.5 database)

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
neZPypc.jpg

Just found this player in the 6th round, 2 star potential! He has no junior rights or anything, so we will see where he plays. May have to sign him and put him in the echl. Still pretty darn cool!

Reactions: xECK29x

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ok, new NHL36 database update as of 12/8/17 - includes the Dowd/Subban trade, general housekeeping updates as usual with depth charts and draft prospects plus some clean-up, re-ratings and contract updates in the Czech, DEL and NAHL.

Dropbox - NHL 36 v1.2.zip

Bigger news in this update is that I've (by popular request) reverted the Nordiques back to their original look. Logos (standard format) below. If you don't want to change the look, just don't use the logos below.

Classic Nordiques logos:
Dropbox - NHL36 Logo Update - Nordiques.zip

Classic Nordiques background (ice style to match the rest of the NHL36 backgrounds):
Dropbox - backgrounds - Nordiques.zip

Also I've adjusted Seattle to use their maroon color as primary - I've done this mainly because when I start to look at some other NHL36 options (Portland is green and Hartford is going to use their green jerseys), there's going to be too many green teams. This gives Seattle more of a unique look.

02c4ab134099aeef622c19cf8d399cef.jpg

b3f70f82573b525c5b8f76a76ea0ac49.png

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pretty interesting EHM moment in my latest game that is one of the reasons I love this game.

So the 2020 NHL draft has a couple of franchise-caliber center prospects in Alexis Lafreniere and Quinton Byfield. I've loaded their ratings up in the NHL36 database so they are real phenom type prospects. They almost always in my sims turn out to be star players.

Funny thing though in my latest game...a couple years into their NHL careers and they look...rather undwhelming. But it's the circumstances which I find amusing and which could easily be real life tales:

Alexis Lafreniere
Lafreniere was the consensus #1 pick heading into the 2020 draft and Quebec, after two historically bad seasons had the #1 overall pick. Match made in heaven, right? Poor Nordiques team looking for an identity and a Quebec-native, French-speaking superstar center prospect is sitting there for them. The Nords pick Lafreniere, sign him straight out of juniors and in the 20-21 season, and he has an excellent rookie season with 25 goals and 60 points, only losing the Calder because Igor Shestyorkin finally came over from Russia and was a beast for the Rangers in goal.

So, heading into his sophomore season in the NHL in 21-22, huge things are expected from Lafreniere and the Nordiques are really improving as a club. They've made some astute free agent signings and have a wave of youngsters coming up. Lafreniere is the crown jewel. But then - something happens. First, Lafreniere gets off to a cold start and then he says he is "Unhappy" and has "Personal Problems". Midway through the season and he has a mere 3 goals and 8 points in 38 games, he's being demoted to the 4th line and benched and his attribute ratings, while still good, start to stagnate.

And then - just a year and a half after making him the face of the franchise and after a great rookie season - everything has gone south and the Nords trade Lafreniere to...the Edmonton Oilers, straight up for Ryan freakin' Strome. That's how bad Lafreniere had been. But, get this - despite their franchise star basically being non-existent, the once poor Nordiques are crushing it as a team and sit atop the entire Eastern Conference after 60 games. Lafreniere has been slotting as the #2 center in Edmonton behind McJesus and has 4 points in his first 6 games but it seems highly unlikely he will become the player he should have.

Quinton Byfield
So right after the Nords picked #1 in the 2020 draft, the Habs had the second pick. Although they too desperately wanted Lafreniere (who is from the Montreal region), the Nords of course would not entertain any trade so the Habs picked Byfield. Now Byfield is a dynamic, potential franchise star center so he is a very, very awesome consolation prize it would seem. He too signed straight after the draft and suited up for Montreal in 2020-21. Montreal was a bit deeper than Quebec so Byfield's rookie season role was more as a secondary player and he had a solid, if slightly disappointing rookie output of 16 goals and 39 points in 69 games.

So, again, like Lafreniere, big things are expected from Byfield in his sophomore season. And while his production is still ok, if not great (27 points in 50 games) - EVERYTHING starts to go sideways with his situation. Montreal continued to struggle and the Montreal media began to criticize Byfield. His GM apparently did not defend him and he become "Unhappy" and "Feels the Media is Treating Him Unfairly". And now, as we approach the trade deadline, Byfield "Wants to Be Traded". How true to life would it be for the Habs to pick a young franchise center only to have the Montreal media run them out of town? A have to admit, I LOL-ed hard at this development.

So there you go - these are prospects who, in the NHL36 database, I have given every advantage with huge boosted ratings and attributes, great determination and great under pressure and who in other sims with the exact same database become superstars and sometimes Hall of Fame players. And yet in this particular instance, within less than 2 seasons, both have failed hard. I find that to be...awesome...because it's so "real feeling".

Reactions: xECK29x

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Has anyone had any luck getting EHM Assistant or EHM Manager running using PlayonMac? If so, and you have the time and patience to walk me through it as if I were a complete moron, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
Somehow lost my one save that was in 2113. Saved this morning, returned to it and voila, corrupted. Feels bad man.

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
Nice. Can you tell me, how it looked with scoring in your game? Most points, goals...

Drafted a few players who hit 40-50 goals, but only a few hit 100 points or more. A real pain to hire staff, at least it was for me. Then again playing that many seasons, who knows what to expect. One draft will be full of future hall of famers, next could be a bust.

I started over, but I did find a file that went back about 13 seasons from that one corrupt file.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Pretty interesting EHM moment in my latest game that is one of the reasons I love this game.

So the 2020 NHL draft has a couple of franchise-caliber center prospects in Alexis Lafreniere and Quinton Byfield. I've loaded their ratings up in the NHL36 database so they are real phenom type prospects. They almost always in my sims turn out to be star players.

Funny thing though in my latest game...a couple years into their NHL careers and they look...rather undwhelming. But it's the circumstances which I find amusing and which could easily be real life tales:

Alexis Lafreniere
Lafreniere was the consensus #1 pick heading into the 2020 draft and Quebec, after two historically bad seasons had the #1 overall pick. Match made in heaven, right? Poor Nordiques team looking for an identity and a Quebec-native, French-speaking superstar center prospect is sitting there for them. The Nords pick Lafreniere, sign him straight out of juniors and in the 20-21 season, and he has an excellent rookie season with 25 goals and 60 points, only losing the Calder because Igor Shestyorkin finally came over from Russia and was a beast for the Rangers in goal.

So, heading into his sophomore season in the NHL in 21-22, huge things are expected from Lafreniere and the Nordiques are really improving as a club. They've made some astute free agent signings and have a wave of youngsters coming up. Lafreniere is the crown jewel. But then - something happens. First, Lafreniere gets off to a cold start and then he says he is "Unhappy" and has "Personal Problems". Midway through the season and he has a mere 3 goals and 8 points in 38 games, he's being demoted to the 4th line and benched and his attribute ratings, while still good, start to stagnate.

And then - just a year and a half after making him the face of the franchise and after a great rookie season - everything has gone south and the Nords trade Lafreniere to...the Edmonton Oilers, straight up for Ryan freakin' Strome. That's how bad Lafreniere had been. But, get this - despite their franchise star basically being non-existent, the once poor Nordiques are crushing it as a team and sit atop the entire Eastern Conference after 60 games. Lafreniere has been slotting as the #2 center in Edmonton behind McJesus and has 4 points in his first 6 games but it seems highly unlikely he will become the player he should have.

Quinton Byfield
So right after the Nords picked #1 in the 2020 draft, the Habs had the second pick. Although they too desperately wanted Lafreniere (who is from the Montreal region), the Nords of course would not entertain any trade so the Habs picked Byfield. Now Byfield is a dynamic, potential franchise star center so he is a very, very awesome consolation prize it would seem. He too signed straight after the draft and suited up for Montreal in 2020-21. Montreal was a bit deeper than Quebec so Byfield's rookie season role was more as a secondary player and he had a solid, if slightly disappointing rookie output of 16 goals and 39 points in 69 games.

So, again, like Lafreniere, big things are expected from Byfield in his sophomore season. And while his production is still ok, if not great (27 points in 50 games) - EVERYTHING starts to go sideways with his situation. Montreal continued to struggle and the Montreal media began to criticize Byfield. His GM apparently did not defend him and he become "Unhappy" and "Feels the Media is Treating Him Unfairly". And now, as we approach the trade deadline, Byfield "Wants to Be Traded". How true to life would it be for the Habs to pick a young franchise center only to have the Montreal media run them out of town? A have to admit, I LOL-ed hard at this development.

So there you go - these are prospects who, in the NHL36 database, I have given every advantage with huge boosted ratings and attributes, great determination and great under pressure and who in other sims with the exact same database become superstars and sometimes Hall of Fame players. And yet in this particular instance, within less than 2 seasons, both have failed hard. I find that to be...awesome...because it's so "real feeling".

Now is this with your NHL36 database or with a database like TBL?

I'm using the default starting database, so I want to see how 'superstar' players come up over time. I rarely use the editor, but with 'superstars' is it that you notice the attributes right away, or is it just come into themselves over time?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Now is this with your NHL36 database or with a database like TBL?

I'm using the default starting database, so I want to see how 'superstar' players come up over time. I rarely use the editor, but with 'superstars' is it that you notice the attributes right away, or is it just come into themselves over time?

That story is using my NHL36 database. As I've said with that DB, I've specifically "charged up" some of the real life top future prospects to see a quicker impact and with 36 teams in lieu of 30 or 31, there are also 120+ new roster spots at the NHL level more than real life so young players tend to make more of an impact (I'm assuming) than they would in the TBL or any actual 31-team NHL databases. I want to give the expansion teams with their high draft picks a chance to grow pretty quickly so their rosters are pretty bad at the beginning.

I've got one sim in 2050 right now and I've seen a mixed bag with young players developing...some have really good ratings pretty early but still take time to make a big impact. Some late bloomers. And some stars right out of the starting blocks. And I had a pretty interesting situation with Casey Mitteldstadt - in 2018-19, he was signed by Buffalo and played with Eichel and scored 89 points and won the Calder. The next year he scored 65. The third year he scored 48. And the rest of his career he was around a 50 points on average player. Then I had Andrei Svechnikov and Patrik Laine both beat Gretzky's 898 career goal mark with Laine getting 918 goals and Svechnikov a mind-boggling 1008 goals. Nobody has come close yet to Gretzky's point mark (2857) but both McDavid (2088) and Matthews (1930) edged past Jagr for 2nd and 3rd place. Jakub Skarek ended up beating Brodeur's wins record (718 to 691) while a few other guys have passed Roy's current second-best mark of 551 (Vasilevskiy, Murray, future Czech prospect Nick Malik and Caps prospect Ilya Samsonov).

Once I run out of real prospects and the CPU players take over, I've noticed much less impact from the drafts. So it's 2050 and not a single prospect from the 2049 draft has made an NHL roster. There are maybe like 10 guys from the draft two years prior. And you have to go back 4-5 years to get to guys who are actually be used by the CPU like star players...these are guys who are now 23-24 years old. Nobody even remotely like a McDavid, Matthews, Ekblad who is a beast right out of the draft and not even guys like Boeser or Barzal who look like stars a couple years later. Teams tend to have older overall ages and part of the reason a lot of records seem to be getting broken is because good players tend to stay good and have high reputations and usage way into their late 30's and even early 40's. Basically, star players play massive amounts of games even as they get really old which allows them to accumulate big stats and forces younger players to have to wait till will into their mid-20's to make a big impact. But then they stay stars until they are in their late 30's and the cycle repeats. Now it may just be my particular database but I find that while the game does deteriorate some attributes rapidly, notably skating, as a player ages - a lot of their attributes and more importantly their reputations stay very high - so that really old stars are the norm, not a something rare and to be appreciated.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here's an example...again this is 2050 so all the players are fake/regens. They do have a few younger guys on the team but they get scratched constantly. Look at that average age.

e34b600cddee12e93afc09027951a8f5.jpg

Here's a team who has embraced youth a bit more but again, it's a bit deceiving. Perry was the #5 overall pick 2 years ago and he's a second pairing defender for them which is cool but the other 19 year old is a constant healthy scratch, the young goalie is a backup who barely plays and three of the most important players on the team (the captain who is their #1 defender still and two assistant captains, one of whom is their #1 RW and the other who is their #1 center and top scorer) are 38, 37 and 37 respectively.

c185999f0cbbf310697970e6cf79ee70.jpg

I actually have a reasoning though why this all could be explained - as we go into the future, people find ways to stay healthier, longer so maybe a 40 year-old in 2050 is like a 30 year-old now! Imagine if Jagr or Chara had all their current knowlededge and experience but in a body from 10 years ago...they would be even more amazing so you probably would see less space for younger players. :D

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here's a look at top Hall of Fame Scorers...scoring definitely went up in my game - this may have to do with having a 36-team league, I'm not sure but just a guess. I think especially in the early years, the goalie talent is spread thin with the extra teams so star forwards got to inflate their totals a little. Kinda cool though :). FYI - this is a different sim than the one I posted above with the stories about Lafreniere and Byfield. They both turned out awesome this particular time! And look at Svechnikov's NHL record 1008 goals and he did it in only 1588 games...that works out to an average of 50+ goals per season in a 20 season career from age 18 to age 38.

07bf719c3095df56cf7f37110c3cc18f.jpg

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Svechnikov's goals record may be challenged though by current regen/fake player Gauthier Papa. Papa is 33 and his current goals per game career pace is neck-and-neck with Svechnikov's. Papa just needs to stay healthy and he'll have a shot:

c298eb6aba76ef040a89dd88094fd006.jpg

More crazy records:

f2a21c227dab33fc63f590e8567e8386.jpg

- In 2048-49, the Oilers broke the record for most points in a season with a whopping 137.

- Most losses in a season? You would figure it would be one the expansion teams in their first season...but holy cow, look at the 2029-30 Blackhawks - how in the world did they lose 81 games in an 82 game season and concede 457 goals (5.57 per game)? Did they not play a goalie all year?

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Decided to start a new game after a while with the NHL 36 v1.2 rosters. Hit the random team button until I stumbled upon the first new team.
So my new team is...Kansas City Scouts

Started the first season like everyone else by offering contracts to every free agent and claiming every player I can from the waivers. Here is your 2017-2018 Kansas City Scouts:

Teemu Pulkkinen - Chris Tierney - Steve Moses
Émile Poirier - Chris Kelly - Frank Vatrano
Chris Bourque - Chris Porter - Nikita Korostelev
Joe Whitney - Colin Smith - Colin McDonald

Tim Erixon - Fedor Tyutin
Nick Holden - Robert Bortuzzo
Artyom Zub - Éric Gèlinas

Jaroslav Halák
Leland Irving

First year plan: Draft picks (as high as possible)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
My Japanese superstar has arrived...guy didn't even play Major Junior hockey but was drafted #10 overall in 2055 out of the GTHL.

9e556997fb991b95ada93a2d83ce9a36.jpg

a2e65832f37364c5df9f3bea397d0be3.jpg

The Sens have been to the finals 3 years in a row, winning twice with Ogino picking up a Conn Smythe in 61-62 and also has won two Selke trophies along with his high scoring. The Sens have a devastating first line that last season finished 1-2-3 in scoring and Veydarier and Mukhachyov were also 1-2 in goals.

641ee7eb8ae16d9ed9def346e406510d.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@BKarchitect What staff is truly required for expansion teams in the NHL, AHL, and ECHL based upon NHL 36? Should I add Chairman's to all the new teams? Presidents? Anybody else?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Wow how is that japanese player putting up such good numbers? He doesnt seem so great...but I'm guessing his linemates must be crazy good.?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Wow how is that japanese player putting up such good numbers? He doesnt seem so great...but I'm guessing his linemates must be crazy good.?

Depends on the linemates usually, but even on a further inspection, Ichi's ability to win faceoff's (18) and his ability to pass (15) can usually skyrocket the assist category.

I have my highlights set to 'key' and I notice when a team scores, sometimes it's a goal from a one-timer straight from the faceoff dot

EDIT: What I also think some people gloss over a lot in EHM is the work-rate and teamwork attributes. To me anyway, it just seems like the higher those attributes are, with the right line-mates, the higher their point totals be.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Depends on the linemates usually, but even on a further inspection, Ichi's ability to win faceoff's (18) and his ability to pass (15) can usually skyrocket the assist category.

I have my highlights set to 'key' and I notice when a team scores, sometimes it's a goal from a one-timer straight from the faceoff dot

EDIT: What I also think some people gloss over a lot in EHM is the work-rate and teamwork attributes. To me anyway, it just seems like the higher those attributes are, with the right line-mates, the higher their point totals be.

Yeah and its not wonder Ichi is a Selke winning defensive demon...look at his work rate, teamwork, bravery, checking, positioning, face-offs combined with speed. Hard to imagine a forward being much better!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
@BKarchitect What staff is truly required for expansion teams in the NHL, AHL, and ECHL based upon NHL 36? Should I add Chairman's to all the new teams? Presidents? Anybody else?

To be honest, I didn't add anybody; I thought I remember reading once that staff positions like those are really more window dressing - but I could be wrong.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I would guess depending on their ratings, chairmen will determine how much faster they grow unhappy and you get fired.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I'll write my 1st year recap with the Kansas City Scouts as I'm very bored at work..

Ended the season with the following roster:
Pääjarvi-Kelly-Sheary
Vatrano-Tierney-Korostelev
Pulkkinen-Porter-Hemsky
Bourque-Poirier-Moses

Gelinas-Tyutin
Erixon-Weber
Holden-Bortuzzo

Irving
Danis

Some stats:
Korostelev 20+17
Vatrano 19+24
Tierney 19+25
That's about it for anything worthwhile. Ended the season with a 15-62-5 record.

Trades:
Jaroslav Halak to Devils for NJD 1st 2018 (35th) & NJD 2nd 2019

Notable trades around the league:
Krejci to ANA <> Petterson, right to Comtois to BOS
Stempniak to PIT <> PIT 1st 2018 to CAR
Suter, rights to Shaw to TOR <> Kapanen, rights to Räsänen, TOR 1st 2018 to MIN
Pacioretty to CGY <> McDonald, Mangiapane, rights to Ruzicka to MTL
Neal to NSH <> Carrier, rights to Farrance, rights to Mismash to VGK
Parise to ARI <> rights to Steenbergen, rights to Entwistle to MIN
Yandle to SJ <> Roy, right to Norris, rights to Reedy, SJ 1st 2018, SJ 1st 2019 to FLA
Maroon to OTT <> Paul, OTT 3rd 2018, OTT 4th 2018 to EDM
Dadonov to DAL <> Guryanov, right to Point, rights to Nichushkin to FLA
Jokinen, rights to Hults to BUF <> POuliot, rights to Laaksonen to LA
de La Rose, rights to Walford, CHI 2nd 2018 to BOS <> Krug to MTL
Sekera to STL <> rights to Noel, rights to Toropchenko to EDM
Filppula, rights to Lycksell to LA <> Fantenberg, irghts to Villalta to PHI
Petry to CHI <> rights to Altybarmaykan, rights to Kayumov to MTL
Abdelkader, rights to Kotkansalo to NJ <> rights to Walsh, FLA 2nd 2018, CGY 5th 2018 to DET
Green, rights to Gilmour to TB <> Cirelli, Stephens, rights to Foote to DET

NHL Entry Draft 2018:
Scouts have the 6th pick
Svechnikov goes 1st to Nordiques, Dahlin goes 2nd to Kraken
As my pick comes up I have a lot of choices between the likes of Boqvist, Merkley, Wahlstrom, Skarek etc so...
TRADE ALERT: Scouts trade 6th ovr to FLA for 8th ovr & 20th ovr (SJ) as the Panthers were really high on Merkley

With the 8th pick Scouts select RD Adam Boqvist
With the 20th pick Scouts select LD/RD Jared McIsaac
With the 35th pick Scouts select LW/C Jesperi Kotkaniemi
With the 41st pick Scouts select G Alexis Gravel
With the 77th pick Scouts select C Jake Wise
With the 113th pick Scouts select LW/RW Kirill Nizhnikov
With the 185th pick Scouts select RD Sean Durzi
With the 221st pick Scouts select RW Sami Moilanen

So hopefully I drafted my future top D pairing and a future starting goalie. Kotkaniemi and Wise have great potential but both have a long way to go. Rest of the picks I'm just hoping for that diamond in the rough as they have some good features that they could develop into NHL level skills.

Signed before last season and now coming over/European free agents:
Jonathon Blum: 1 year/2M
Vyacheslav Voynov: 6 year/30M
Olli Palola: 2 year/1,85M
Dominik Kubalik: 3 year/1,95M
Dominik Hrachovina: 2year 1,85M
Vladimir Tkachyov (younger one): 2 year/1,85M

NHL Free agency:
David Desharnais: 1 year/2,5M
Derek Ryan: 1 year/2,5M
Ryan Murray: 2 year/8M

Got some good center depth that can be turned into picks at the deadline. Got a few solid D that can be also turned into futures when Boqvist/McIsaac are ready for bigger roles. Got a goalie ready for a 1A/1B role. And also got some young talent that can turn into core pieces for this young team.

Projected lineup:
Tkachyov-Desharnais-Sheary
Pääjarvi-Ryan-Vatrano
Pulkkinen-Tierney-Korostelev
Kubalik-Palola-Poirier

Voynov-Boqvist
Murray-Blum
McIsaac-Holden
Bortuzzo

Hrachovina
Irving

Still gonna try to pick up a center from the waivers and some D depth if McIsaac/Boqvist are not ready for NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->