Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Actually, regarding the save game editor part of the editor, when I edit a player's club playing for, and club contracted, in-game it shows the change on his card, but he remains with the original team, and even stays in their lineup. When I did it for a player, I had to put him on waivers to actually transfer him to my team, and he was claimed. Is there a way around this, or is this just how the editor works?

I'm afraid it is not possible to move any players/non-players between clubs or make them free agents in saved games. I don't have the full saved game structure and so I cannot process/edit the additional tables in the saved game which contains the additional contract data. So you'll find players will end up in some strange limbo in-game if you try to move them.

I will try and make this clearer in the next release of the Editor. I would treat the Editor as a saved game viewer rather than a saved game editor.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009

The 2018 NHL Entry Draft went like this, I'm still looking for a team to play with:
vYtmGDZ.jpg

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Ruotsalalnen's edited Attribute values/ratings are what's getting him rated so high I suspect...

A few thoughts, based on my past experience/knowledge of common editing practices...

He's got a startup CA of 100 for his draft year (usually that's a CA of the few top players at that age, the tier below "generational").

He's got a PA of 138 (odd as usually all players age 23 and under have variable PAs...maybe this DB is intentionally different?); 138 is typically a backup a best (more like a 3rd string or fringe player).

His Staff Attributes (mental) average out to those of a 160+ CA player, so he's very mature for his age HaHa

Almost all of his other Attributes are set at 0 so they'll be variable (including Consistency, an absolutely critical Attribuite for goaltenders)...but a 17/18 year old who at startup has a 100 CA will be better than his peers in most cases, and likely still will be by the NHL Draft (the gap may even be bigger)

So Ruotsalalnen probably looks much better at his draft then he'll look in the future.....

P.S. I used a copy of the database I downloaded days ago, I'm not sure if it's the latest

I'll also mention I used the Editor to view the Attributes from the database.
I did not look at the Attributes "ingame" (you can see all Attributes ingame using the EHM Assistant).
I'm mentioning this as Attributes in a database are not necessarily what they are in game; the game will "adjust" (reduce) Attributes at startup if they're to far off the coded guidelines that there are (i.e. the guidelines/knowledge posted over at TBL)

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Funny enough, the Habs also drafted G Lukas Dostal in the 2nd round of the same draft.
Did something happen to Price? HaHa Seems a bit odd that in 2018 Montreal would be drafting goalies in the first two rounds...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nice work taking the Kraken to back to back titles...pretty cool to take a team of nothing and guiding it into a league power! :thumbu:

It's kinda cool. I'm all about the development of players, so I love guys like Kurashev starting as prospects working their way through junior to AHL to 45 point player. I haven't yet established as a super power yet and am facing a big cap cruch nor have I led Slovakia (my new national affliation after I got France from Div 2A to WC) to any kind of success so I will continue to this for now. Superstars Isac Andersson and Alexis Lafreniere along with Michael Matheson and Juuse Saros have big new deals so the cap is an issue for the first time. Blake Wheeler is basically done. It should be good going forward. I am also making a new restriction on myself, no more barrage shooting tactic. The barrage shooting tactic is kinda REALLY OP.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know SEPH here at HF is working on a database that is more varied in terms of international players and hopefully more players developing from lesser countries - as of now it seems like even a country like Slovakia which has had some hockey success over its life is still hard to guide to anything meaningful in EHM. Let alone countries like Norway or Japan. It would be cool to really see new hockey centers develop over the decades...or even just “Golden generations” at times from non-traditional powers.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I know SEPH here at HF is working on a database that is more varied in terms of international players and hopefully more players developing from lesser countries - as of now it seems like even a country like Slovakia which has had some hockey success over its life is still hard to guide to anything meaningful in EHM. Let alone countries like Norway or Japan. It would be cool to really see new hockey centers develop over the decades...or even just “Golden generations” at times from non-traditional powers.

I know that I have called for something like that before, try to have players come and develop from places like Taiwan, Macau, Qatar and try to develop into a star.

The only two times it's ever happened to me was when I had an Italian once go 2nd overall in EHM 07, and a South Korean go first overall one year as well. Until then I've never seen someone of that nationality rise that high.

Although, couldn't that naturally happen if you max out the starting config settings (extra players, extra junior players)? Or does it matter with the country and their 'development' of hockey (going into the editor)?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The testing I've done in the past (2016 IIRC) looking at regens showed that a player's Nation could change, so technically it's possible to have a player come from a "non-hockey country" from any database

The starting database players makes a HUGE difference too; one could put in whatever number of players wanted at whatever talent level wanted (even players that won't be born until the future!), and in that way "seed" players from as many nations as desired (and by giving them variable PAs like -15 and -14 and -13 you could have significantly variable/unknown talent too)

IIRC databases used to add talented fake players in the first couple/few years after EHM07 came out (that's probably how you had your couple EHM07 experiences); it may be just a choice made by database creators based on the massive amount of time it takes to create/edit a database (and would a majority of users want such fake players?)

For me, with the 1974 database it's not really an issue as I can have over 40 years of real players (I wouldn't want fake NHL quality talent in a retro database) - interestingly, the "hockey powers" haven't really changed in the last 40 years (Finland and the US are better than they were, Russia's not as good, and Czechoslovakia's now two countries...but it's the same teams at the top).

Although, couldn't that naturally happen if you max out the starting config settings (extra players, extra junior players)? Or does it matter with the country and their 'development' of hockey (going into the editor)?
I'd think if you "max out" the possible players you'll get more variety, but I suspect you won't get large numbers of players in non-hockey countries.....the starting database is the easiest/most effective way to add such players if desired

P.S. I never thought of Slovakia having much success (didn't their couple medals in the Worlds come in Olympic years where top players didn't play?), and I certainly never thought of Japan or Norway having "success" (what's the standard for success?)

I suspect a big issue is the starting database...there's a real shortage of researchers/database editors, and it's a massive undertaking to create a database - I'd be surprised if countries like Japan are getting much attention in a database

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm not saying Norway or Japan has had any success, I'm saying the opposite: it would be interesting if you sim for 100 years to see countries such as those bubble up once in a while because they haven't.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I'm not saying Norway or Japan has had any success, I'm saying the opposite: it would be interesting if you sim for 100 years to see countries such as those bubble up once in a while because they haven't.
I'm not against the idea for those who might want it, and it can be done now, so that's why I posted what I did (in particular my suggestions in blue font on how to do so)

It was done with EHM07 with the Lidas databases (I'm not sure how popular the idea was then...by 2010 when I discovered EHM it wasn't popular); also back then no one had yet tried to put "extra young" players in a database, and so people didn't realize they could have such players (possible stars/superstars from non-hockey nations) after all of the real players had all aged past NHL Draft age

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

I think that "success" (whatever is criteria for it as Nino33 said) has to do with whether you play in league of certain country. In EHM 2007 when I played with DEL club the first German U20 regen generation ended up with bronze medal at WJC. Few years later they won medal at IHWC, by memory, I think they were IHWC gold medalist once and once at WJC. They didn't win any medal at Olympics or WHC-s, but IHWC is enough "best of the best" tournament for majority of non-elite nations as they medal count proves (only Swiss won it in 2013.).

And for some reason in old EHM GBR U20 team always ended up as junior powerhouse although it didn't completely transfered to senior level (GBR reached IHWC in many of my saves but can't remember they medaled any time). :)

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I'll have to take a look at one of my save files with the original 'out of the box/fake players' database , I could've sworn that even 20+ years into the future some countries develop players from non-hockey markets. I just have to find it when I have the time. If not, I'll just re-do that experiment and post what I see.

So if your just downloading the game and starting with a FULL database, you end up 42,000 players, and 7,000 junior players. If you toggle the extra junior players including adding players to the national pool, you'll have a total of over 19,000 extra players at your disposal in the game.

Last edited:

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
How were they? I am finishing the stats/latest cleanups on the few remaining NHL teams. I should have a new version out in another week.
I enjoyed them. Anything you want me to check for you? I'm in the year 2024.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Nice!!! Just let me know if there are any glaring issues with the sim. I haven't had a lot (if any) playtime with them up to this point.
Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary at all. Ran a couple sims with them.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I'll have to take a look at one of my save files with the original 'out of the box/fake players' database , I could've sworn that even 20+ years into the future some countries develop players from non-hockey markets. I just have to find it when I have the time. If not, I'll just re-do that experiment and post what I see.

So if your just downloading the game and starting with a FULL database, you end up 42,000 players, and 7,000 junior players. If you toggle the extra junior players including adding players to the national pool, you'll have a total of over 19,000 extra players at your disposal in the game.
I did a bunch of regen testing in January/March/July 2016 that supports these comments/ideas EHM1 Regen Testing (2016)

For example, if you select the add players at startup you'll get countries having players in the 100-200 PA range that with the regular database have no such players (countries such as Bulgaria, Israel and Luxembourg )

Also, my understanding is Nation can change in a regen, it's not static like it was in EHM07.

For non-hockey nations I wonder if they're starting with the necessary players/structure in the first place? (does the Nation have at least Junior and Professional Leagues? and at startup are these leagues/teams populated with players with appropriate CA/PA levels?).

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I did a bunch of regen testing in January/March/July 2016 that supports these comments/ideas EHM1 Regen Testing (2016)

For example, if you select the add players at startup you'll get countries having players in the 100-200 PA range that with the regular database have no such players (countries such as Bulgaria, Israel and Luxembourg )
FYI - it's the testing I did in July 2016 that shows breakdown by Nation; you can compare Test 1 (no added players) to Test 2 (added players) to see the differences in the number of players with a CA/PA of 100-200 from different Nations

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I've got some exciting stuff on the drawing board for the NHL36 project and wanted to get some user input. By using import templates, my plan is to off various NHL36 "quick starts" that you can apply to the default NHL36 database to create different 36 team NHL worlds. The goal would be for me to continue to be able to update a single database but then have the framework ready so that users, with minimal work, can have their own customized league. Think of it in the same way as the Expansion Draft quick starts I have already released.

Some expansion concepts I have (not saying I'll do them all) - give me some input! :)

NHL36 "The Original"
- Kansas City Scouts
- Milwaukee Admirals
- Quebec Nordiques
- Saskatchewan Whitetails
- Seattle Kraken

This is what NHL36 is now and I am definitely keeping it as the base database

NHL36 "Northern Expansion"
- Halifax Highlanders
- Hamilton Tigers
- Hartford Whalers
- Quebec Nordiques

This would be a Canada-centric expansion with those lovable Hartford Whalers added as well. While unrealistic in real life, it would bring "hockey home" so-to-speak and really cover Canada coast-to-coast with exciting NHL action.

NHL36 "Big City Ice"
- Atlanta Thrashers
- Houston (TBD)
- Montreal Maroons
- Seattle Kraken
- Toronto Toros

A market-diven expansion would see Atlanta return along with a Houston franchise and Seattle of course. But the real exciting part here is second teams in Toronto and Montreal as old rivals return to the NHL to square off against the Leafs and Habs. They of course will be set as instant and intense rivals in the database.

NHL 36 "Westward-Ho"
- Houston (TBD)
- Kansas City Scouts
- Portland Beavers
- Seattle Kraken

With the population of the continent trending west and still vast swaths of the west with no NHL markets, this alignment would see all 5 new teams (6 including Vegas) filling those voids with a bunch of current Western Conference teams switching to the East to make room.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Also, my understanding is Nation can change in a regen, it's not static like it was in EHM07.

For non-hockey nations I wonder if they're starting with the necessary players/structure in the first place? (does the Nation have at least Junior and Professional Leagues? and at startup are these leagues/teams populated with players with appropriate CA/PA levels?).

Once I am out of work i'll take a good look at it. I believe countries, for example, like China, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan do have leagues with some teams having complete (or half complete) rosters. Many players of countries of that caliber though will be randomly slotted in another league (like a Swedish U-18 team). I'll have to see if Mexico has some sort of league.. I had a Mexican player regen with 15's in shooting categories and was their top prospect. I personally enjoy playing with a completely maxed out Database because that is where you can see the occasional random player pop up from a country like that and try to develop him into something.

I think there are additional leagues in the TBL databases that aren't in the original version of the game. I would love for an EHM2 to try and be as MAXED OUT as possible, even with fake players. (Not sure why people don't really like playing with fake players as the game progresses.. I certainly enjoy it :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad