Easton Octane?

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Need a new stick. I have been using one piece sticks forever. The other day my friend picked up an easton octane. He keeps raving about it but I dont want to go on his word alone. If anyone has used this stick any input would be appreciated.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I keep thinking about buying one when I go to the local sporting goods store but it's more because of the low price than anything else. Reason I keep passing on it is that it's no lighter than the wood stick I use. What kind of stick do you currently use and what did your friend (who raves about this one) use before this? For you it may be a step down in quality while it's a step up for your friend.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I use an Octane in practice. It's a decent entry level shaft, lighter than a wood stick but not as light as a high end 1 piece, good power, and I'm not too pissed when one snaps because I can usually find a replacement for around $20. It's pretty whippy (80 flex is all that's available) so if you like a stiff stick, try something else.

My game stick is the Typhoon. It's one step up from the Octane and a lot more durable.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
I used to use them regularly, but then I stopped due to durability issues. I kept snapping them on slap shots, about every 3 or 4 weeks. I don't play all that often, just roller hockey 2 hours a week and im not a big player putting loads of stress on the shaft when shooting. I'm 5' 7 and I think im somewhere around the 155 pound mark, but even still, it was too much for the Octanes to take on a consistant basis. I ended up changing to an RBK 5K shaft at first and later an Innovative Novius. Never had either of these show any sign of damage (other than paintwork chipped from being slashed) so I'm fairly sure its not just down to my technique, although that may have played a part.

In regards to the Octane, it does have some advantages. They are very cheap and easy to replace, they are light and they will give you good performance on your shots, for as long as they last. Even though I broke a few of them, I'm glad I bought them because when it came time to buy something different, I went with shafts with a softer flex thanks to playing with an Octane, as opposed to stiffer shafts I had previously been using. I'd recommend them if you aren't very big/strong as you will likely get decent durability from it. Or if you don't mind spending a small amount on a shaft more regularly, then again it could be a good purchase. But if you have an already powerful shot, want something durable (I never had one long enough to find out if it would last well in game situations) or want really top notch performance from a stick, spend a bit extra on something else. If you want a recommendation on something still affordable, I think the 5K is great value for money. Had it over a year and never had a problem with it. Other people who have borrowed it have enjoyed using it too. I'd highly recommend the Novius too if they were still (widely) available. I love my 300 flex Inno, but now they are Warrior, I'm gonna have to check out the Dolomite shafts at some point. The 75 flex sounds interesting. If the 75 has the same durability as I am accustomed to with Inno, then that is going to be one hell of a stick.

Anyways, hope thats of some help.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I keep thinking about buying one when I go to the local sporting goods store but it's more because of the low price than anything else. Reason I keep passing on it is that it's no lighter than the wood stick I use. What kind of stick do you currently use and what did your friend (who raves about this one) use before this? For you it may be a step down in quality while it's a step up for your friend.

I am not sure what my freind was using I will have to ask.I currently use the CCM Vector:Thornton. Its not a bad stick but I would like something a bit lighter. My shot doesnt need any help at all but if this could increase it even a little that would be great. Also want a bit quicker hands so I would assume a lighter stick would help in this area. I would think it would also help while on the P.K. to swing the stick back and forth in the passing lanes. My slapper is great and my wrister is above average but the Vector seems pretty stiff so a more "flexy" stick would probably give me a better wrister I would assume.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I used to use them regularly, but then I stopped due to durability issues. I kept snapping them on slap shots, about every 3 or 4 weeks. I don't play all that often, just roller hockey 2 hours a week and im not a big player putting loads of stress on the shaft when shooting. I'm 5' 7 and I think im somewhere around the 155 pound mark, but even still, it was too much for the Octanes to take on a consistant basis. I ended up changing to an RBK 5K shaft at first and later an Innovative Novius. Never had either of these show any sign of damage (other than paintwork chipped from being slashed) so I'm fairly sure its not just down to my technique, although that may have played a part.

In regards to the Octane, it does have some advantages. They are very cheap and easy to replace, they are light and they will give you good performance on your shots, for as long as they last. Even though I broke a few of them, I'm glad I bought them because when it came time to buy something different, I went with shafts with a softer flex thanks to playing with an Octane, as opposed to stiffer shafts I had previously been using. I'd recommend them if you aren't very big/strong as you will likely get decent durability from it. Or if you don't mind spending a small amount on a shaft more regularly, then again it could be a good purchase. But if you have an already powerful shot, want something durable (I never had one long enough to find out if it would last well in game situations) or want really top notch performance from a stick, spend a bit extra on something else. If you want a recommendation on something still affordable, I think the 5K is great value for money. Had it over a year and never had a problem with it. Other people who have borrowed it have enjoyed using it too. I'd highly recommend the Novius too if they were still (widely) available. I love my 300 flex Inno, but now they are Warrior, I'm gonna have to check out the Dolomite shafts at some point. The 75 flex sounds interesting. If the 75 has the same durability as I am accustomed to with Inno, then that is going to be one hell of a stick.

Anyways, hope thats of some help.

Thank you for the input. Im not a big guy at all so maybe this stick would be ideal for me. I do have a powerful shot but I figure this stick cant make it any worse and I would like the lighter feel especially at the end of a game when Im tired

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Thank you for the input. Im not a big guy at all so maybe this stick would be ideal for me. I do have a powerful shot but I figure this stick cant make it any worse and I would like the lighter feel especially at the end of a game when Im tired

In that case, I suppose you can't go too wrong getting one and seeing what kind of performance/durability you get from it. After switching to Octanes after using xxx-stiff Koho shafts, I found that I had a lot more power in my shot than I expected and had a much easier time lifting the puck and getting it closer to where I wanted it to go. I expect you will probably enjoy using them if you go for one. Just be prepared for it to break in spectacular style. I almost took a teammates head off in training once when I put a 1 foot + crack down the shaft and the blade flew across the hall (at least 20 feet). I laughed a bit, he didn't :)

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
This is strictly an entry level stick...I think you might be better off with your Vector. The shaft is lighter than wood, but once you add a blade, it's only marginally lighter than a wooden stick. I personally didn't like it, too whippy and I did not like the performance I got from it. It was more durable than what I was told and had seen, but still isn't living up to what I've gotten out of my one-piece Montreal. It's good as a backup stick, or if your a beginner, but I wouldn't really recommend it...think you are better off moving up a step or two and getting a Typhoon or Cyclone.

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
Same thing. Had the easton octane for a month. Took a slapshot and the blade went flying over the boards and the shaft cracked right down the middle.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Ok I just went to sports authority and modells on my lunch break. What a horrible selection of sticks. When I get home tonight Im going to go to a REAL hockey store. Anyway, I checked out the Octane and the Typhoon side by side with my Vector. I thought the Octane was much lighter but to be honest, it was about the same weight as my vector. As for the Typhoon, it was a bit too stiff. I think I will end up paying some extra money to get the perfect stick for me. Ive heard the Synergy is a good stick along with the Bauer Vapor so I will be checking those out later tonight. Thanks to all for the advice.

PhilMerwin187

Aug 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.pbnation.com
I'm confused as to why you guys would use multiple sticks if they aren't the exact same thing. That's forcing you to re-adjust every time you switch back. If you have a practice stick that's different from your game stick, that's only hurting you. You get used to doing turns and handling the puck with one stick, then you have to get used to doing the same things with another stick during the game. Please don't say, "That's what the warm-up before the game is for!" because the warm-up isn't for the players - it's for the goalies.

The Octane is a completely different brand than your Vector. Yes, most back-up sticks are significantly cheaper than main sticks, but at least keep them the same brand/blade/curve. If you're going to buy the Octane, I'd highly reccommend a Thornton curve for it. No sense in having two sticks with different curves.

-Phil

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I'm confused as to why you guys would use multiple sticks if they aren't the exact same thing. That's forcing you to re-adjust every time you switch back. If you have a practice stick that's different from your game stick, that's only hurting you. You get used to doing turns and handling the puck with one stick, then you have to get used to doing the same things with another stick during the game. Please don't say, "That's what the warm-up before the game is for!" because the warm-up isn't for the players - it's for the goalies.

The Octane is a completely different brand than your Vector. Yes, most back-up sticks are significantly cheaper than main sticks, but at least keep them the same brand/blade/curve. If you're going to buy the Octane, I'd highly reccommend a Thornton curve for it. No sense in having two sticks with different curves.

-Phil

I was not going to practice with one stick and play with the other. The stick I practice with WILL be the one I play with. I just wanted to compare them side by side to see which one felt better. Once I make my decision though im not going to keep switching back and forth.

PhilMerwin187

Aug 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.pbnation.com
Twine Seeking Missile, I apologize. I didn't specify that I was talking about Icer here.

-Phil

I use an Octane in practice. It's a decent entry level shaft, lighter than a wood stick but not as light as a high end 1 piece, good power, and I'm not too pissed when one snaps because I can usually find a replacement for around $20. It's pretty whippy (80 flex is all that's available) so if you like a stiff stick, try something else.

My game stick is the Typhoon. It's one step up from the Octane and a lot more durable.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I'm confused as to why you guys would use multiple sticks if they aren't the exact same thing.

I use the Easton Octane in practice and the Easton Typhoon in games. Same blade pattern (Lidstrom). They're both 80 flex. I can't tell the difference in performance. I'd go Octane exclusively but they don't stand up to game abuse. All it takes is a shash or two and they're done.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Agree with the others about the Octane's durability. They're an entry-level shaft, nothing more. They crack and break quickly. Use it to determine if you like a 2-piece stick, but if you want something to last spend more money, the Octane will die on you quickly, probably at the worst possible time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->