Easton NHLers switching to Warrior..

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Lately I have noticed a good deal of Easton NHLers using Warrior sticks. Last night there was a shot of Modano on the bench and he was holding a Warrior Dolimite. I saw Shanhan using a Dolimite as well. I thought this was odd because I can walk into a store and by a Easton Shanny or Modano pattern.

Wonder if this is knock on Easton or a testament to how well Warrior's are made and feel.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Easton has removed Modano's name from there sticks and are advertising "Modano pattern will now be known as Forsberg"

I know this because I purchased one a couple weeks ago

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Shanny was interesting in that he was using wood until this year. Easton is also discontinuing the Shanahan curve--not just renaming it--starting with the 2006 batch of sticks.

Modano also signed with Reebok during the lockout, and Easton in return changed the name of the Modano curve to Forsberg. So it's actually looking kinda bad on Reebok that Modano switched to Warrior (apparently on Modano's stick, the word Warrior is blacked out or not painted on).

Similarly, Marty St. Louis has a Nike-Bauer contract but has since switched back to his 'good luck' Easton Synergy Grip stick from 2004. He's had to paint most of the stick black. Sundin did something similar a few years back.

Patrik Elias also recently switched to a Warrior Starskie, and he is/was a Mission endorsed player.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Think it's because of the Warrior's nice quality sticks. Inno(before Warrior bought them) was a smallish company...you had the true hardcore guys using them like Fedorov. But I think it's Warrior and their marketing plus they seem to be available in greater supply so that's why everyone has them...not just in the NHL, in leagues every where.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Brodeur said:
Shanny was interesting in that he was using wood until this year. Easton is also discontinuing the Shanahan curve--not just renaming it--starting with the 2006 batch of sticks.

Shanny was using a wood BLADE, but not wooden sticks. He bought the entire stock of some easton shaft that they stopped making like 5 years ago and used them up until this season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
GoBoltz56 said:
Shanny was using a wood BLADE, but not wooden sticks. He bought the entire stock of some easton shaft that they stopped making like 5 years ago and used them up until this season.

I stand corrected.

MiZZZike*

I've used Synergys for the last 5 years but as soon as I get some money I'm getting a Warrior Draper curve.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I was an Easton Synergy ST guy until I picked up a Warrior MacDaddy. Won't go back. Let's just say I've never scored a top shelf slapper from the blue line until I started working with this new Warrior. I'm not a big believer in a stick making your shot... you either have a shot or you don't. But I am starting to believe the right stick with the right curve for your play style will make a dent.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
GoBoltz56 said:
Correct, I think it was the Easton Silver Tip shafts. Geez, to think...if we had that type of money, we could just buy a lifetime supply of our favorite stick or product. I remember Gretzky bought the inventory of a grip company when they announced they were going out of business because he loved the grips.

To get back on topic, I agree that Innovative had great products, but lacked major marketing which limited the number of players using their sticks. Warrior has a strong marketing department and the same, if not better, technology that Innovative had...so their sticks are popping up like hotcakes.

The past two seasons (not last year due to the lockout) the Predators have had a "garage sale" where they have sold off their surplus sticks and equipment to the general public. I'm hoping to pickup a Dolomite stick there, otherwise, I'll eventually pony up the cash to buy one new.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
SLake said:
Correct, I think it was the Easton Silver Tip shafts. Geez, to think...if we had that type of money, we could just buy a lifetime supply of our favorite stick or product. I remember Gretzky bought the inventory of a grip company when they announced they were going out of business because he loved the grips.

To get back on topic, I agree that Innovative had great products, but lacked major marketing which limited the number of players using their sticks. Warrior has a strong marketing department and the same, if not better, technology that Innovative had...so their sticks are popping up like hotcakes. The past two seasons (not last year due to the lockout) the Predators have had a "garage sale" where they have sold off their surplus sticks and equipment to the general public. I'm hoping to pickup a Dolomite stick there, otherwise, I'll eventually pony up the cash to buy one new.

Its all in the marketing. Technology is the same just that Warrior has the marketing background and experience. Plus being owned by New Balance gives them the funds to market like they do. Inno has always made a decent product just could never find it anywhere.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
sc37 said:
Comrie was using a MacDaddy I think

In the playoffs, saw Chara and Smyth with AK27s, and Elias is on fire using a Starskie.

I noticed Elias using one, which I found odd seeing as he is one of the biggest names signed on to Mission.

I've been trying to persuade the owned of the store I work at to carry Warrior sticks, but to no avail.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just got my very own AK 27 100 flex, its a nice stick about 2" shorter then my bauer triflex but its a nice buy got used to it very quickly.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I looked at buying a warrior stick to try it out. I can't find one with a big curve though, I'm used to Easton's Yzerman curve.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
JM47 said:
I looked at buying a warrior stick to try it out. I can't find one with a big curve though, I'm used to Easton's Yzerman curve.

Try the Draper or a Robitille pattern. They should be pretty close to a Yzerman.

aggiehockey21

May 22, 2006
California
i used to have an inno novius one piece stick. probably the best one piece i've ever had...until my friend stepped on the blade when i was playing him one on one during a pick up :(

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
JM47 said:
Get the Smyth pattern. It's a Kovalchuk pro clone which is HUGE.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
What's the differences between the Starskie, the MacDaddy, and the Dolomite? It seems the dolomite is like a durable stick that's a solid one piece that I've seen a ton of NHL players using (Kovalchuk and Pronger among others). What are the other 2 like? I like the feel of Bauer shafts and Lindros curve, but I've primarily been a Bauer/Easton guy but I don't like any easton curves and Bauer doens't have good enough durability so I'm really looking for a GOOD stick to switch to because I went through probably 10 one pieces in the past year and a half. I've tried looking up stuff about the warrior sticks but I haven't found too many specifics. Could anyone help me out here?

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
PanthersRule said:
What's the differences between the Starskie, the MacDaddy, and the Dolomite? It seems the dolomite is like a durable stick that's a solid one piece that I've seen a ton of NHL players using (Kovalchuk and Pronger among others). What are the other 2 like? I like the feel of Bauer shafts and Lindros curve, but I've primarily been a Bauer/Easton guy but I don't like any easton curves and Bauer doens't have good enough durability so I'm really looking for a GOOD stick to switch to because I went through probably 10 one pieces in the past year and a half. I've tried looking up stuff about the warrior sticks but I haven't found too many specifics. Could anyone help me out here?

I might be wrong on some of this information so im open to corrections, but I believe the Starskie is the same as the Dolomite but with a different paint job, sold before the others were available to attract attention. The Starskie/Dolomite is essentially the old Innovative 1100.

The MacDaddy is the old Innovative True 1. I've heard people comment that the durability of the MacDaddy aint as good as the Dolomite but I haven't had a chance to try any of the Warriors out yet. I'm still more than pleased with my Inno Novius tapered shaft, I hope Warrior carries over that design at some point in the future. Anyways, don't know how much you know about the Innovative brand, but they always seemed to be known for combining great performance with great durability. Warrior bought them out and as far as i am aware, are just using the same design for the build of the sticks, at least this year. I figure they will work their own technology into the sticks in the coming years.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I have had innovative shafts in the past and they were really nice. Durable and light. I have a Dolomite on order and will post what I think of it.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I'm not sure, but I think you are right. I wanna say the Dolomite is lighter then the Starskie....least it feels that way to me. Hard to say for sure since the Warrior web site has no info on the Starskie.

I'll say this much. I love my Warrior Starskie. It feels great and it's extremely durable - survived a nasty two-hander with no damage other then to the paint. I used to for four months and it's still in excellent shape. I'll buy another for sure. Next one will be a Dolamite.

Works out well for me since I was an Inno guy before.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I just ended up getting a Warrior Dolomite. Federov curve 100 Flex. I love the Vapor XXX with the Lindros curve, I just hate the durability and the Dolomite when I picked it up in the store really felt a lot like that stick to me and the Fedorov curve is slightly less than the Lindros which is fine because I used to use Modano. The stick feels awesome a in playing aroudn with a tennis ball or whatever obviously and the dealer said that they've had no returns yet whereas on the XXX-Lites when they came out they had like 9 returns in the first 2 weeks after breaking. Anyways, I'm going to be trying it out Saturday night maybe so I'll post what its like here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad