GDT: Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 1: Your New Jersey Devils (WC2) @ Tampa Bay Lightning (1E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This experience is eye opening for the young players. Hard to know if one game is enough for them all to adjust and relax. To me, that's what they need to do, just relax and play. If they are all focused on line matching and new details that will make them think everything through and that will slow a young player down. Hopefully practice today is just practicing line matching and whatever other tactics Hynes wants them to apply.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Camille the Eel

To me "must win" is not what you tell your club. It's too much stating the result.

The message has to be to find another gear. To pick up the intensity to what it was the last week of the season, or even a sixth gear that's higher than that. That the level of being aggressive, of taking it to the Bolts instead of being reactive, the level of focus, the battle level, the collective will just to beat this club, has to be higher. Let's play our best hockey ever in this series, win or lose. Leave it all on the ice.

I think we came out tight and cautious and scared and over thinking things in game one. Let's just take it to them from here on in. You can't play scared.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I've had to talk my 15-year-old daughter off the ledge after that loss. She has become a hard core fan the last couple years. Watches every minute of every game, including preseason. But this is her first playoff run. I warned her the intensity and tension is orders of magnitude greater than regular season. There are ebbs and flows, ups and downs. These series are long and anything can happen at any time. After I made the case to her this morning that this wasn't all that bad, her optimism began to return. One-goal game in the 3rd, even after a clusterfink 1st period. This is totally fine. I expect them to win game 2 and then we're high on the hog again.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He never saw the fourth one.... heck on replays looking at the goalie you couldn't even see kk, that's how screened he was. How any goalie is supposed to see that is beyond me

Obvs we disagree on the last part which is fine.... But that's for another day.
I actually do agree with you there. It was a rising screen where a couple players jumped up, which was weird.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Flyers in 3, bruh.

IIRC, we blew an early 3-0 lead in game 1 against Florida but bounced back to win the game. 3-0 leads were the worst in that series.

they never lost the lead but looked like dog shit and held on for a 3-2 win.

they went up 3-0 in game 3 in newark and imploded to lose 4-3 and fall behind 2-1 in the series.

that series was a f***ing heart-stopper.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
it's not even game two and i had to use the ignore button... on a panthers fan?

main board causes cataracts.
1293327507-00.jpg

Reactions: New Jersey

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
at least once in every cup year the Devils went down in the series losing the first game of a round only to come back and win it - many times rattling off 3 wins in a row. Lots of time left to correct the mistakes that were apparent last night.

I'm not sure about 'many' :) and I don't see Scott Stevens in the room, but I'm with ya.

If we score first in game2, there might be a collective 'ruhroh' in Tampa and there could be a pretty big sea change in sentiment.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I'm Honestly not mad or sad about last night. Lots of inexperience form the Staff down. They went into i looking at it as another game. They quickly learned the playoffs are a different beast and should play a better game tomorrow. At least i hope so on a National broadcast.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
btw - watched Patty-night ceremony again to feel better last night. We're a pretty damn good organization.

we're a small market team that consistently needs to fight and claw for relevancy in the massive, overcrowded nyc sports market and has carved out a crazy devoted fan base despite the presense of an original six team, original expansion team, and former dynasty with a history of success and franchise icons in less than four decades.

what's not to love?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
is it a good time to also remind everyone that in nearly 36 years of history the devils have NEVER been swept out of a playoff series? (two game sweep by the flyers on the rockies doesn't count)

let tampa fans think this will be cakewalk.
People saying we're gonna be swept are way insufferable right now.

And I'm usually very pessimistic, but step the f*** off the ledge. I'm glad this is my first read in about 14 hours.

Reactions: New Jersey

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
That one Panthers fan has been poking Devils fans in the eye over and over for days on end, and then repeatedly accuses anyone who notices of stalking him. It's beyond childish and kinda veers into psychopath territory.

I can picture him driving to New Jersey and standing outside our arena alone, in the pouring rain, digging his fingernails into his palms, muttering about 2012.

He probably has a shrine with skulls and candles, the walls covered with newspaper clippings of Devils players with the eyes cut out.

It's like Ray Finkle from Ace Ventura is now a hockey fan.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Really might have to enjoy game 2 from my couch again and not at Amalie Arena, I am f***in sick as f***.

Sickest I've been since 2013, maybe even longer. Got sent home early from work.

Really don't wanna miss a Devils playoff game that's played 40-45 minutes from me. I do think the likelihood of their being a game 5 is very high, but when I used to get this sick, I'd stay this sick for 2-3 weeks sometimes.

Really wanna go, but don't wanna cough all over people and blow my nose all over everybody, get snot all over my hands in public or barely be able to open my f***in mouth. I sound like a f***in zombie right now. The guests at work probably thought a zombie was on the loose haha.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad