GDT: Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 1: Your New Jersey Devils (WC2) @ Tampa Bay Lightning (1E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
oh and that grabner trade, looking better and better by the day :thumbu:
You’re arguing with no one. Grabner could have 3 own goals next game and it wouldn’t make your argument stronger. Everyone agrees it hasn’t worked out. It doesn’t make the trade bad when it happened at the time. On paper it was a fine trade, it just hasn’t worked.

Reactions: nugg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You’re arguing with no one. Grabner could have 3 own goals next game and it wouldn’t make your argument stronger. Everyone agrees it hasn’t worked out. It doesn’t make the trade bad when it happened at the time. On paper it was a fine trade, it just hasn’t worked.

so the trade was good 4 seconds after it happened, but now not so much? you know what that makes it? a bad trade

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
First period we were barely able to play our game because Hynes spent the entire period trying to get Zajac's line out against Stamkos' line.

The only match-up he was okay with was Point vs. Hall's line and Johnson-Palat ripped apart our back 3 on both goals.

Then we were down 3-1 in the second, it seemed like Hynes just said 'f*** it', mixed up the lines, and took whatever match-ups he could.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
so the trade was good 4 seconds after it happened, but now not so much? you know what that makes it? a bad trade
With the available information Shero had, the trade was fine. He doesn’t have a crystal ball. If he broke his leg in his first game would that make it an awful trade? No, that’s nonsense. And even with his terrible play he’s a better option than Gibbons. Gibby has fallen off a cliff sadly.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
First period we were barely able to play our game because Hynes spent the entire period trying to get Zajac's line out against Stamkos' line.

The only match-up he was okay with was Point vs. Hall's line and Point-Palat ripped apart our back 3 on both goals.

Then we were down 3-1 in the second, it seemed like Hynes just said '**** it', mixed up the lines, and took whatever match-ups he could.
Also wood getting benched messed up some of the lines for a bit.
Cooper was really using last change to his advantage all night long

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
the tedenby pick was a good one at the time! we needed skilled wingers!

lol
Do you realize how moronic this is? Grabner had 27 goals last year and 25 goals when we traded for him. But yeah, Shero is an idiot because he wanted to add some scoring depth. We made the playoffs by 1 point, clearly the thinking was that we needed help to get it. Just pretend we traded the 2nd and Rykov for Maroon who undoubtedly helped us get in.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
With the available information Shero had, the trade was fine. He doesn’t have a crystal ball. If he broke his leg in his first game would that make it an awful trade? No, that’s nonsense. And even with his terrible play he’s a better option than Gibbons. Gibby has fallen off a cliff sadly.

if the trade didn't work out (and to this point, it certainly hasn't) then it was a bad trade, period. i don't expect shero to have a crystal ball, but i do expect people who have the benefit of hindsight being able to objectively evaluate the trade. and it was bad. if you think the trade made sense at the time (i don't) and want to feel good about that, go for it guess.

i get the feeling people would be more critical of that trade if grabner had come from say...ohhh, i don't know...dallas or something.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I can't believe we got Butcher for free. I still can't.

His maturity and intelligence are the most impressive parts about his game. He plays like a 10 year vet.

Not in the 1st he didn't with that Seversonesque pinch that only didnt end up in the Devils net by the grace of god. You have to also keep in mind, his Defensive Zone Starts were a stratospheric 87% last night, so it's obvious Hynes "protects" him as much as possible. When you're starting your shift in the offensive zone 90% of the time, it's helping to put you in a position to, "not screw up" quite a bit.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Tamps's secondary scoring is lethal. Gourde, Point, Palat and Johnson killed were buzzing all night, they are a matchup nightmare quite frankly one that the Devils don't have an answer for. Game started off awful, Tampa was buzzing not unexpected for a home team Game 1. Devils were able to weather it somewhat and escape. Zone clearance and breakouts were really bad, if they don't get this straightened out it will be very hard moving forward.

I thought Kinkaid was ok, made some big saves in the first that would've absolutely buried them. Def not his fault they lost and can't see them going back to Cory.

Mueller stuck out in a bad way. Saw at least 2 to 3 plays where he over handled the puck and had to make a desperation play to the neutral zone. As much as I don't (Love)joy I'd rather have Mueller sit for Seves. Overall pleased with the effort, didn't pack it in down 3. Aren't in real trouble until you lose at home, hoping they can steal one tmrw afternoon.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Not me. We don't have the C depth to bench a center, unless we want to break up the Zajac + Texans line, which was pretty much the only bright spot last night.

I hate how shallow our C depth is, and how collectively slow they are relative to the rest of the team.

Sure would be nice to have Barzal right about now, but who could've possibly predicted that he'd be so much better than Zacha?

Grabner - Barzal - Palmieri
Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Gibbons
Maroon

That looks infinitely better - 2 legit scoring lines and a solid bottom 6.

The Devils are now the opposite of "built for the playoffs". No depth down the middle, and gaping holes on the backend. And unless Schneider returns to form, our goaltending is mediocre as well.
Who could have predicted the Hall trade would have worked out for the Devils? Do you remember your thoughts on it

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The trade made sense at the time.

show your work

Do you realize how moronic this is? Grabner had 27 goals last year and 25 goals when we traded for him. But yeah, Shero is an idiot because he wanted to add some scoring depth. We made the playoffs by 1 point, clearly the thinking was that we needed help to get it.

I didn’t say shero was an idiot- I said he made a bad trade. we needed help on defense and in net, and he traded for grabner.

Just pretend we traded the 2nd and Rykov for Maroon who undoubtedly helped us get in.

I think when you start pretending, you already know how bad the trade was

they don't get in without it IMO, b/c that would have at some point brought guys like hayes/stafford into the lineup down the final stretch.

incredible :laugh: yes, then it was all worth it. there’s no way we could’ve called up literally almost anyone from Binghamton to provide what grabner has, which would have also squeezed out stafford (who, ironically, deserves to play ahead of grabner at this point). good lord

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
if the trade didn't work out (and to this point, it certainly hasn't) then it was a bad trade, period. i don't expect shero to have a crystal ball, but i do expect people who have the benefit of hindsight being able to objectively evaluate the trade. and it was bad. if you think the trade made sense at the time (i don't) and want to feel good about that, go for it guess.

i get the feeling people would be more critical of that trade if grabner had come from say...ohhh, i don't know...dallas or something.
Again, you're literally arguing with no one. Zero people. Everyone would say Grabner hasn't been good enough. That doesn't make Shero's decision making bad. If you wanna do a sports radio hot take, that's fine. I'm not gonna blast Shero for adding scoring depth to a team that needed it.

But just to be clear, if Grabner has three straight hat tricks, it would then be a good trade to you, yes? Do you see the absurdity in this?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Again, you're literally arguing with no one. Zero people. Everyone would say Grabner hasn't been good enough. That doesn't make Shero's decision making bad. If you wanna do a sports radio hot take, that's fine. I'm not gonna blast Shero for adding scoring depth to a team that needed it.

shero made a decision that didn't work out. call it whatever you like. you say that shero "added scoring depth to a team that needed it". actually, he added a LW that should play in the top 6 to be effective, when we're already loaded at that position.

But just to be clear, if Grabner has three straight hat tricks, it would then be a good trade to you, yes? Do you see the absurdity in this?

if tedenby scored 40 goals 3 years in a row, would you consider that a good pick? as long as we're dealing with purely hypothetical nonsense. the tedenby pick sucked, and so did the grabner trade

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not in the 1st he didn't with that Seversonesque pinch that only didnt end up in the Devils net by the grace of god. You have to also keep in mind, his Defensive Zone Starts were a stratospheric 87% last night, so it's obvious Hynes "protects" him as much as possible. When you're starting your shift in the offensive zone 90% of the time, it's helping to put you in a position to, "not screw up" quite a bit.

I'll be honest, I missed that play and only caught the end of the replay where it magically didn't go in our net. :laugh:

There's no question he's protected considerably, but he truthfully shows more composure than some of our experienced defenders at times (here's looking at you, John Moore). And I thought he settled in quite well as the game went on. He was certainly not the only one who seemed a bit shaky in the first period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->