Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Islanders have looked good of late, and Sorokin going on a heater could throw things into chaos, but I'll hedge on the side of the favourite and take the Canes in 6.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Congratulations Islanders for a well fought ticket to the playoffs. The coaching change did wonders for your squad and you should feel great about your accomplishments.

Hmm…

Oh yeah Isles, I forgot one little thing. In the main event of Smackdown, you’re going 1-on-1 with The Big Red Machine Canes! Holla playa!

Reactions: Bone Density

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I don't think the Islanders will be swept, but Carolina is a very good team that is good enough to make a deep run. The Islanders just don't have enough depth to take this series.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have a soft spot for the Hurricanes, but I also have a soft spot for Roy as well and his majestic dragon aura. With that said, I have the Carolina Hurricanes winning in 6. A Roy-coached team will have issues in the playoffs and their lack of scoring depth is a big black hole, but it isn't like Canes are loaded offensively either; this could potentially be a bad matchup for Carolina.

Roy adds an "x factor" that cannot be determined mathematically when he took an overperforming Avs to game 7 against a superior Wild team and almost won. I think the Avs could have gone far if they were able to win OT, but as we all know, it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to Game 7 OT. Even though the Canes are not loaded with offensive talent, it is much easier for them to be able to shut down the 3-4 star players of the Islanders which their team is built to do.

Their team is built for trench warfare and can match whatever the Islanders decide to do, the biggest question is in net because even though Koochie and Andersen look a lot better now, they still do not come close to how Varlamov played so far this season and Sorokin's ability to recoup some of last years talent. This series will underrated, it will be big-boy hockey with a ton of physicality and all the games should be close, but most games should also be won by the extra little bit of talent that the Hurricanes possess.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If Detroit is the league's "maybe they'll make the playoffs next year" team, Carolina is the league's "maybe next year they'll win the cup" team. So maybe this is the year.

Reactions: Stickpucker

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I hate taking sweeps in hockey, or even 5 game series, because of how random of a sport hockey could be at times, but the underlying numbers for the Canes since acquiring Guentzel suggest they've been the best team in the league. They lead the league in xGF%, CF% by over 4% (The difference between them and the Stars who are in second is greater than the difference between the Stars and the Rangers who are in 10th) and FF% by over 3%. Underlying numbers obviously aren't everything - they help paint a picture, and should be taken in context with watching the actual games. The Canes games also back up those numbers, as they look down right dominant, and I don't think there is a better line in hockey at the moment as I mentioned earlier, than Guentzel/Aho/Jarvis.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
I hate taking sweeps in hockey, or even 5 game series, because of how random of a sport hockey could be at times, but the underlying numbers for the Canes since acquiring Guentzel suggest they've been the best team in the league. They lead the league in xGF%, CF% by over 4% (The difference between them and the Stars who are in second is greater than the difference between the Stars and the Rangers who are in 10th) and FF% by over 3%. Underlying numbers obviously aren't everything - they help paint a picture, and should be taken in context with watching the actual games. The Canes games also back up those numbers, as they look down right dominant, and I don't think there is a better line in hockey at the moment as I mentioned earlier, than Guentzel/Aho/Jarvis.
Agreed. It will be embarrassing if Carolina doesn't win the Cup.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
The pressure is on carolina especially with the expectations of their fans and the statbois. The islanders just need to play their long forgotten heavy game and make carolina beat them by skill and by outworking them. It may not be as easy a ride as some are predicting but carolina should come out on top.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Skjermbilde 2024-04-17 111056.png

No idea if he is correct or not, but it might look like a early game #1. Good for us euroboys, but not for the matinee hating Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad