Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.2%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 20.4%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 443 29.4%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 258 17.1%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.5%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 191 12.7%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 153 10.2%

• Total voters

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Before 21-22

Mcdavid 21 GP 11G 11A 22 Pts

Including once being swept and a 3-1 loss in the Play in against the worst team to qualify

My point is they really changed the narrative after 1 playoff run.
They were swept in four 1 goal games in a series where the opposing goalie saved like 14 goals above expected over those four games and where the refs decided they weren't allowed to have a power play; though I'm sure Matthews has also experienced both of those things to some degree over the same period of time.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dari’s never been less than a point per game.

And yep, McDavid was once… at 20 years old . The following season he was almost two points per game and then 4 in 4. Hardly a bad resume. And after that he absolutely kills it. They both have good playoff reputations because they’ve actually got their points up higher in the postseason than the regular 82. And (more importantly) their goals increased significantly.

Matthews and Marner are nowhere close. And if they want to win this series, they’ll need to show up better than they have.
No question. I hope Keefe keeps the Domi - Matthews - Bertuzzi line together, they were absolutely dominant while Marner was out. It spreads out the offence and creates lots of mismatches, Boston will have to pick and choose who they throw their top pair out at (probably Matthews)

They're just too predictable together in my opinion, Marner has been shooting more in the last year or so, but it still is predictable for the defence to cover.

I'm confident they'll get it done, Matthews has been on another level this year and he's healthy going into the playoffs. No Bergeron, no Krejci, no Chara, despite what the standings might tell you I think Toronto is the slightly better team. There's no shootout and 3 on 3 in the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They were swept in four 1 goal games in a series where the opposing goalie saved like 14 goals above expected over those four games and where the refs decided they weren't allowed to have a power play; though I'm sure Matthews has also experienced both of those things to some degree over the same period of time.
It’s hilarious that people are trying to compare these guys. McDrai combined have one series where they had a season under a point per game (McD at 20 years old.) Marner and Matthews have eight.

Yeah, the Oilers haven’t advanced. But unlike Toronto, you can’t blame the top players. They simply can’t overcome the rest of their team.

Reactions: Kerberos

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No question. I hope Keefe keeps the Domi - Matthews - Bertuzzi line together, they were absolutely dominant while Marner was out. It spreads out the offence and creates lots of mismatches, Boston will have to pick and choose who they throw their top pair out at (probably Matthews)

They're just too predictable together in my opinion, Marner has been shooting more in the last year or so, but it still is predictable for the defence to cover.

I'm confident they'll get it done, Matthews has been on another level this year and he's healthy going into the playoffs. No Bergeron, no Krejci, no Chara, despite what the standings might tell you I think Toronto is the slightly better team. There's no shootout and 3 on 3 in the playoffs.
They have the talent to do it. Domi is a gutsy player and maybe he’ll provide a different dimension with Matthews. I don’t think splitting MM and AM is a bad idea.

I honestly thought TO was cup bound years ago. There’s so much talent there. But their stars have to show up more than they have. And when that happens, their reputations will start to heal. They need to get it done.

Reactions: AvroArrow

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It’s hilarious that people are trying to compare these guys. McDrai combined have one series where they had a season under a point per game (McD at 20 years old.) Marner and Matthews have eight.

Yeah, the Oilers haven’t advanced. But unlike Toronto, you can’t blame the top players. They simply can’t overcome the rest of their team.
Leafs stars have had their share of that as well, especially in the goaltending department. But yea, I dunno, I'm not buying the "bust" label for McDavid and Draisaitl just because they weren't putting up 2 points per game from the start.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

The fact that you can’t admit that Mcdavid was seen as a playoff bust before his 21-22 run is hilarious. Draisaitl less so but there were questions about those 2 getting it done. You can look through the countless threads on the topic.

You also fail to mention that the Oilers didn’t even qualify for the playoffs in 3 of McDavids first 4 seasons. You mention McDavids age 20 season multiple times but don’t mention that the playoff rounds you’re counting for Matthews happened in his age 19, 20, 21 and 22 seasons.

McDavid and Draisaitl big playoff production years came at the D+7 and D+8 years respectively. Matthews is currently entering his D+8 playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The fact that you can’t admit that Mcdavid was seen as a playoff bust before his 21-22 run is hilarious. Draisaitl less so but there were questions about those 2 getting it done. You can look through the countless threads on the topic.
Sorry man, no.

There are countless dumb threads that pop up here all the time. And people say a lot of dumb shit. Don’t come to me with a troll thread and say ‘see!’

Drai’s never been not over a point per game. So it’s simply looney to say that with him. And McD has been less than a point per game - once as a 20 year old.

Yeah, there will always be the trolls who blame him for not getting it done but it’s nonsense. Those two guys have always shown up.

You can’t say the same thing in TO. It’s easier to think of series where they showed up vs the ones they haven’t. They’ve been mostly brutal.

As for the Oilers not qualifying for the playoffs for three seasons - it only strengthens the argument that they’re wholly dependent on him to go anywhere. McDrai is the team.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Toronto really wanting the 1v8 format back

Gee golly it’s gonna be funny to see AM score like 1 goal and lose again in the first round. One shy of 70 and another first rd exit. I’d rather not make the playoffs than be a leafs fan again in this situation. Gee golly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Leafs stars have had their share of that as well, especially in the goaltending department. But yea, I dunno, I'm not buying the "bust" label for McDavid and Draisaitl just because they weren't putting up 2 points per game from the start.
Yep, it’s a dumb argument and there’s no point considerig it.

Bottom line is that Matthews/Marner need to show up. Nylander I wouldn’t worry about. Even when he doesn’t put up points he’s always dangerous. Reminds me of Hossa in Ottawa. Always better than Alfredsson in the postseason. Didn’t always get points but played well and created chances.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sorry man, no.

There are countless dumb threads that pop up here all the time. And people say a lot of dumb shit. Don’t come to me with a troll thread and say ‘see!’

Drai’s never been not over a point per game. So it’s simply looney to say that with him. And McD has been less than a point per game - once as a 20 year old.

Yeah, there will always be the trolls who blame him for not getting it done but it’s nonsense. Those two guys have always shown up.

You can’t say the same thing in TO. It’s easier to think of series where they showed up vs the ones they haven’t. They’ve been mostly brutal.

As for the Oilers not qualifying for the playoffs for three seasons - it only strengthens the argument that they’re wholly dependent on him to go anywhere. McDrai is the team.

So you’re a new hockey fan and weren’t around to see those early oiler playoff series. Got it.

In the same vein the Matthews not showing up in the playoffs is woefully overblown by the fact that they haven’t won. Not to dissimilar to early Draisaitl and McDavid.

Matthews sophomore season playoffs vs Boston is really his only poor showing regardless of whether or not he was 1 point shy of a point per game which seems to be your only requirement for good/bad playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So you’re a new hockey fan and weren’t around to see those early oiler playoff series. Got it.

In the same vein the Matthews not showing up in the playoffs is woefully overblown by the fact that they haven’t won. Not to dissimilar to early Draisaitl and McDavid.

Matthews sophomore season playoffs vs Boston is really his only poor showing.
I guess the Leafs have nothing to worry about then.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

Bottom line is that Matthews/Marner need to show up. Nylander I wouldn’t worry about. Even when he doesn’t put up points he’s always dangerous. Reminds me of Hossa in Ottawa. Always better than Alfredsson in the postseason. Didn’t always get points but played well and created chances.
Willy was the best Leaf in our series last year.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
love to see SN have the nostrils spit cam on last night, every time TB scored

B's will make laughs make huge mistakes. B's have better goalies.
go Bruins

WE want Florida lol

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Leafs in 6, Matthews has a huge series.
Now is the time for him, he's 100% healthy and in MVP-level form

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi is a good line for him as well tbh. It's forced him to become more of a puck-dominant player who pushes the game at his will rather than deferring to Marner. It'll be interesting to see how Boston counters it

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Willy was the best Leaf in our series last year.
In the Montreal series he was dangerous on almost every shift. No, the puck didn’t always go in but he’s been really good in the postseason. One of those guys who I felt should have more points than he’s had.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Toronto really wanting the 1v8 format back

Gee golly it’s gonna be funny to see AM score like 1 goal and lose again in the first round. One shy of 70 and another first rd exit. I’d rather not make the playoffs than be a leafs fan again in this situation. Gee golly.

What is funny is people pretending Matthews just does nothing in the playoffs. He had 1 series where he was objectively bad and he was still on his ELC. I mean just last year Matthews has 9 points in 6 games including 5 goals in that span. And they were important goals.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
For once I actually like the Leafs chances. I think the forwards can wear down the B's superior D/G in a 7 game series but also it's the Leafs and Bruins, the rosters don't matter.

One of them in 7, idk.

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games against Tampa, was 2nd among all forwards in hits and kept Kucherov scoreless head to head at ES.

Is that not showing up?

Marner had 11 points that series as well

In fact, Nylander was by far the worst of the 3 in that series and is the only one you’re not worried about. So you’re not watching the games.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Now is the time for him, he's 100% healthy and in MVP-level form

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi is a good line for him as well tbh. It's forced him to become more of a puck-dominant player who pushes the game at his will rather than deferring to Marner. It'll be interesting to see how Boston counters it
Boston probably wont even have to counter it, Keefe will do that all himself by breaking up the line ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad