Who and how many?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So normally in Game 7, not much gets called. At first blush, you'd think that would be to our advantage, because we are more physical with them than they are with us. But the Bolts seems to do far more grabbing, stick holding, obstruction, interference crap that is more likely to be let go, than a big hit that goes wrong or is a little late. Bottom line though is that we've been much better than they have 5 x 5, and that's what most of the game should be played at.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Game 7 lines need to swap Walker for Burakovsky, other than Bura playing like it was open skate night at Kettler, I think every other player brought it.

We also need to be careful with limiting Vrana's time in defensively vulnerable times, he's a bit too cavalier with the puck, he's like Kuznetsov Lite.

And for the love of God when the momentum isn't going our way put out that 4th line, those guys are momentum swingers.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So normally in Game 7, not much gets called. At first blush, you'd think that would be to our advantage, because we are more physical with them than they are with us. But the Bolts seems to do far more grabbing, stick holding, obstruction, interference crap that is more likely to be let go, than a big hit that goes wrong or is a little late. Bottom line though is that we've been much better than they have 5 x 5, and that's what most of the game should be played at.
TBL definitely seems to sell hooks to be way worse than they are as well. We need to play a really tight game, we're not going to get a fair shake and we need to acknowledge that and move on.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The 2nd goal was a thing of beauty and the way they scored was perfectly fitting for our 4th line. Pure grinding. Stevenson made it happen with amazing hustle and Smith-Pelly finished after being the guy who initially cleared it and then chased the play back down the ice. He's not a super talented scorer but put the puck on his stick and he can score
DSP beat all three Tampa forwards down the ice from below his own goalline.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Its more than 24 hours away from game 7 and I am already nervous thinking about it

I have been a fan since 2001 and this will be, no doubt, the most stressful game I have ever watched.

Reactions: Corby78

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
They showed that play from the end zone cam....wow, starts the breakout then ends with a coast to coast finish. Great shift. So many people crapped on DSP and Chiasson, but those two have made multiple huge plays this postseason.
Distinction- I like DSP just fine, just not playing on the top line. He was beastly last night as was Orpik.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Its more than 24 hours away from game 7 and I am already nervous thinking about it

I have been a fan since 2001 and this will be, no doubt, the most stressful game I have ever watched.

How is this more stressful than last seasons game seven, unless you mean because it is for a place in the SCF?

Broken record from me, but first goal wins and we will know in the first five minutes what type of game it will be.

Is this year different than all the other games sevens, who the hell knows.

dZodz.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The 2nd goal was a thing of beauty and the way they scored was perfectly fitting for our 4th line. Pure grinding. Stevenson made it happen with amazing hustle and Smith-Pelly finished after being the guy who initially cleared it and then chased the play back down the ice. He's not a super talented scorer but put the puck on his stick and he can score

I didn't post it yesterday but I swear I thought DSP would score a big goal.

Get Burka out put in Walker or Gersich, either one will go balls out as opposed to Andre, and give yourself the best chance to win.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
How is this more stressful than last seasons game seven, unless you mean because it is for a place in the SCF?

Broken record from me, but first goal wins and we will know in the first five minutes what type of game it will be.

Is this year different than all the other games sevens, who the hell knows.

dZodz.gif

I think because I felt like Pitt was still the better team and was eventually going to win. And yes, because this is one game from the Cup (I didn't experience 1998).

This year, I feel like we are the better team and have been playing the best playoff hockey we have ever played

This year has been the year of changing narratives, coming back from 0-2, beating the Pens, etc. Maybe it is our year.

I really just want to beat GMGM.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Game 7 lines need to swap Walker for Burakovsky, other than Bura playing like it was open skate night at Kettler, I think every other player brought it.

We also need to be careful with limiting Vrana's time in defensively vulnerable times, he's a bit too cavalier with the puck, he's like Kuznetsov Lite.

And for the love of God when the momentum isn't going our way put out that 4th line, those guys are momentum swingers.

Burakovsky had that one rush where he got the puck in the neutral zone and blew past Tampa defenders like they were traffic cones before defying physics and missing the net from on top of the crease. His flashes like that are why he's in the lineup and why he was drafted where he was.

I actually thought he played decent enough last night. He just needs to shoot the f***ing puck. He had 2 or 3 chances in the slot where he tried to make one more pass. He has the best release on the team but for whatever reason doesn't trust himself. If I am Trotz, I tell him he is benched if he doesn't shoot it from within the circles and tell him to aim center mass. When he tries to pick corners he shoots it 8 feet high and wide... aiming for center mass might help him ping corners?

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Totally agree about sitting 65 and giving Walker a sweater. However, I would put Walker on the fourth line and bump 18 up to the third line.

I doubt Trotz will make the change, since he is generally more of a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“ kind of guy. He will stick with the game six arrangement, I would guess.

We’ll see. Each game is its own deal. As great as we played last night, i still see Wednesday as a toss-up. Who scores first will be big. Which goalie avoids a softy will be key. How many penalties get called, whether Caps continue the heavy physical approach, and what adjustments Cooper makes, including line-up ... those are also factors i’ll be paying attention to.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Bura is Bura. To my eyes, he's just Marge v2. Both guys have 'quickness' given to them by 'Nature', and bring little else to the NHL table. Both are waaaay too soft on the puck-especially for their cap hits. If they do enter the zone with the puck, defenses know to funnel them to the nearest boards and take the puck away in... 1...2....3 seconds. Lather,rinse,repeat. Ive watched it happen hundreds of times, literally.
I ask you, if Bura didnt have his 'speed' would the rest of his skill set have him in the NHL right now ?? Does he finish ? Are his passes out-of-this-world ? Any chance he's in the top defensive forwards in the League ?? ha. Anyway, he's not the only problem on this roster...but ask me if I am surprised that the Caps 0-3 in the post season when he's played the entire game(or at least it certainly seems that way).... and yes, I'm well aware Marge doesnt play here anymore, and I frankly, didnt miss his presence at all this season, not once. zero. He seems like a nice person, but.... in a salary cap world....no thanks.

But anyway....other than a little luck, and the Caps inability to get in Vski's face enough..and a few other issues.... I think Tampa's edge the last two games, has been their new 'power duo' of Kempny/Eller. I swear I dont recall Tampa adding them to their roster before
the trade deadline-at least I dont remember reading about it... but they have turned up Aces for the Lightning the last two games. Kudos to their GM for making that move for sure... it is paying dividends for sure.

Yeah,,I'm bitter, but after decades of this crap, Ive earned it...

I do think the arena in Tampa will be nuts on saturday night... and that sets the stage for....
Lol, lotta good points here. But who was Marge? I forget

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
DSP beat all three Tampa forwards down the ice from below his own goalline.

Lol, don't oversell it. It's not like he blazed up ice and beat everyone to the play. Watch it again. He moves at his typical not-so-fast pace, which is fine. Trailing the play is what landed him in position -- it's the same way a guy like Oshie would have played it (only they would have been more aware of defending Oshie).

All the credit in the world to DSP for a great effort goal, but he didn't win any races up ice. He wasn't even really moving with a lot of urgency in case the play came back his way. Everyone was expecting either the icing call or for Tampa to move it back out, which is why everyone kind of meandered in that direction. Stephenson and Beagle defied those expectations, DSP moved back into position, and it all worked out. Great effort from all (Capitals) involved.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Burakovsky had that one rush where he got the puck in the neutral zone and blew past Tampa defenders like they were traffic cones before defying physics and missing the net from on top of the crease. His flashes like that are why he's in the lineup and why he was drafted where he was.

I actually thought he played decent enough last night. He just needs to shoot the ****ing puck.

I agree with this. Burakovsky played fine. With Vrana playing well and Stephenson having good chemistry on the 4th, Burakovsky's 3W spot is the one in play, and he's the best we have to fill it. Walker and Gersich are no better -- we just expect less from them and are thus satisfied with just about anything positive they provide.

Burakovsky's miss on the rush last night wasn't a big deal. Vasi stood strong and gave him nothing, trusting his D to take away the backhand option, which he clearly 100% did. All that left for Vasi to do was to not sit too deep in his crease and not allow Burakovsky to open the 5-hole. And all that left for Burakovsky short of running the keeper was to try to roof it at an impossible angle.

He did a good job creating the chance, the D did a good job taking away his right side option, and Vasi stonewalled him. He waited as long as possible to see if Vasi would open up and he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->