Early top 10 US born skaters

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
good list jon. where do you rank hoeffel, palmieri, cohen and palushaj? i know your not a huge fan of colby's, but he has played well in the ushl since making the move.

any chance you feel like making a 2008 american list?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
good list jon. where do you rank hoeffel, palmieri, cohen and palushaj? i know your not a huge fan of colby's, but he has played well in the ushl since making the move.

any chance you feel like making a 2008 american list?

I have to say, Cohen is starting to look GOOD. I think the level of competition is more up his alley and it's really helping his development.

Palushaj I like a lot. I don't think he has worlds of upside, but I think he's a good 2nd round pick. He's right on the cusp of the top 10.

Hoeffel I am not a fan of. Reminds me a lot of Mike Forney in his draft year but somehow more raw than Forney was at the same time. He's a real project. Decent amount of upside, but I think it'd take a lot of work to get it out of him. Same with Palushaj, though, as he's right on the cusp of the top 10.

I haven't even bothered with a 2008 list besides a few names thrown around to watch. It's just too early for me to really get into it outside of first observations and thoughts...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Michael Biega will be going to Harvard next year. I have seen him multiple times. Has tremendous talent but so inconsistent. Just seems to turn it on when he wants and invincible all other shifts. Really frustrating for someone who was a potential second round player.

Yeah, almost the opposite of Alex in that regards.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is it just me, or is his offence starting to come. It just seems that each time I've checked the boxscore lately (not a ton of times, to be sure) he's picked up a point or two.

Sorry for missing your question!

And yeah, it seems like lately he's beginning to hit the net more with his shots. He has an absolute beast of a slapshot but his accuracy has a lot to be desired. It's almost dangerous to stand in front of the net when he shoots just because no one knows where it will go!

But it seems like he's starting to hone his accuracy a bit and take more wrist shots at the net for deflections.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Could have more info on Tommy Cross? Could he be this year david fischer?

Although it could be mcdonough (who already has a name), I'd say this year's mr hockey in minnesota will likely be this year's david fischer. Especially if that is a player like patrick white.

Here are the just announced finalists for mr hockey in minnesota:

Jordy Christian (Moorhead)
Mike Dorr (Roseville)
Tyler Johnson (Cloquet)
Nick Larson (Hill-Murray)
John Lee (Moorhead)
Aaron Marvin (Warroad)
Taylor Matson (Academy of Holy Angels)
Ryan McDonagh (Cretin Derham Hall)
Matt Reber (Edina)
Patrick White (Grand Rapids)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Interesting read, Jon. Good analysis. What's your take on the US born goalies?

I'll step in for Jon for a moment and (at least to me) the name to watch is Jeremy Smith from the Plymouth Whalers. He's been platooning this year for the most part, but has great upside. I hope he and Thomas McCollum (who I believe is a 2008 pick) get consideration for the WJC team next year. At the very least they should be invited to the camp.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Although it could be mcdonough (who already has a name), I'd say this year's mr hockey in minnesota will likely be this year's david fischer. Especially if that is a player like patrick white.

Here are the just announced finalists for mr hockey in minnesota:

Jordy Christian (Moorhead)
Mike Dorr (Roseville)
Tyler Johnson (Cloquet)
Nick Larson (Hill-Murray)
John Lee (Moorhead)
Aaron Marvin (Warroad)
Taylor Matson (Academy of Holy Angels)
Ryan McDonagh (Cretin Derham Hall)
Matt Reber (Edina)
Patrick White (Grand Rapids)

I think White could be that guy. He's been getting some positive buzz. Wasn't Marvin drafted by the Flames?

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I think White could be that guy. He's been getting some positive buzz. Wasn't Marvin drafted by the Flames?
That's correct.

I think Mike Dorr is leading the pack statwise, but I don't know about his off-ice attributes. John Lee is good, but McDonagh is hands down the state's best defenseman, and is probably the only one of the finalists that deserves to be mentioned as a option in this thread.

Patrick White is a complete player, and could wind up being a gem, but that will NOT happen in the next two years. Of course, he could end up a bust too, which happens often in the lower picks of the first round.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll step in for Jon for a moment and (at least to me) the name to watch is Jeremy Smith from the Plymouth Whalers. He's been platooning this year for the most part, but has great upside. I hope he and Thomas McCollum (who I believe is a 2008 pick) get consideration for the WJC team next year. At the very least they should be invited to the camp.

Brad Phillips, too. Brad Phillips has, very quietly, been good this year and will likely be a top 3 round pick. Frankly, I think he's about as underrated as possible...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
that how it is.

After hearing his brother's name called during NCAA games, its "sweat".

Jonny P, do you have rankings 11-20?

Not yet. I have a bunch of players in mind but I really don't bother with those until later in the year. Just too much thought to put into something that will change a lot, anyway.

I'll release my top 20-25 in about 3 and a half months.

Section323

Jul 15, 2005
Los Angeles
I am very happy to have found this thread. As you can see from my avatar, I have a definite interest in the development of US hockey and players. Thanks for the informative list and thread, Jon P.!! :yo:

Just curious as to whether any of you have seen or heard anything about the son of a friend of mine: Josh Rabbani-a power forward playing at Berkshire HS in Sheffield, MA. He's one of the team captains and a pretty prolific goal-scorer, and won a Nat'l Championship with the Junior Kings (Los Angeles) some years ago. That was actually the last time I saw him play! He's built like a tank and has soft hands, but even his father admits that the knock against him has been his skating. I suppose that depends on who you talk to though as it doesn't seem to prevent him from playing effectively and scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->