Early Predictions for gold

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Which country do you think is going to take home the gold?

I think it will be either Canada or Finland.

Canada- Crosby and P.B (can they still get M.Brodeur if jersey is out? or will he
want to play?)

Finland= Antero N plus OJ. (Need a comeback from the olympics and havent
got a medal in the world championships since 2001)

Russia looks good with Ovechkin and Malkin

Czechs might have a tough time repeating a gold medal.

Slovakia?

Usa?

Sweden looks good and could win it as well I believe. :)

Last edited:

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I have only watched the games with Sweden so I can't really tell but Canada and Finland seems dangerous. I have to say that I am very impressed by Sweden's play so far, might be enough but I can't really tell before Sweden starts playing some tougher opponents.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Finland. Canada is super offensive and the defense along with goaltending is great, but other than USA, they haven't really played against anyone noteworthy. Finland's Niitimaki (sp?) has proven to be a superb international goaltender, with only Lundqvist better at that level (Olympics 2006 :p: ). OJ is a one hell of a boost to your attack. And the physical game is roughly even. Group E match between Finland and Canada should be a good indication of things to come...

Russia... is young and inexperienced. Only like 4 players are older than 30 (one of them is a goalie) and there are a couple of teenagers on the team too (Kulemin and Malkin).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
From what I have seen so far, and from the match reports I have read Canada are as always favourites, then Finland, then Sweden and maybe Russia.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'd say the Finns are favoured. Canada is too young to win, even doing as good as they are surprizes me. Fun team to watch, but too inexperienced to win the world championships.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Le Golie said:
I'd say the Finns are favoured. Canada is too young to win, even doing as good as they are surprizes me. Fun team to watch, but too inexperienced to win the world championships.

I'd check the birthdates of some of the other teams, as well. Many of them are younger than usual. It has sort of turned into an early (very preliminary) type audition for 2010 for many of the countries.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia will get a medal - it won't be gold. Sweden, Finland, and Canada all look good to win it... I say Finland takes it.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
My bet: It's going to be a Canada - Sweden final. Russia - Finland bronze medal game.

Canada takes the gold, Finland the bronze.

My wish: It's going to be a Finland - Sweden final. Russia - Canada bronze medal game.

Finland takes the gold, Russia the bronze.

I wouldn't mind Russia gold or silver either.

magical hippo

Feb 25, 2006
Canada - Sweden final, Russia - Finland in the bronze game.

BUT Finland - Sweden final would be great.

Sweden's last game looked dangerously good!

Finland - Russia final would be good too. I usually enjoy Russia games very much, because of the beautiful hockey they play.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Canada vs Russia in the finals, Canada gold! Crosby/Bergeron vs Ovechkin/Malkin it would be so awesome.

I give the edge to Canada because IMHO guys like Carter and Richards has not catch fire yet and it's only a matter of time before they explode. When they will it will give Canada three great scoring lines and they have the better defense and way better goaltending, so go Canada go!

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
StanAjax said:
Sweden won't win, they can't face Switzerland in 1/4 finals. :sarcasm:

So that leaves Finland, Canada and Russia.

Canada can't win, they might face Switzerland in 1/4 finals :sarcasm:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I think Sweden, they are the most complete team I've seen so far. So I think they will take the gold.

While the Canadian roster isn't as impressive as it has been, it better coached and more discplined than the usual Team Canada. They should go far too.

Finland lacks scoring up front and Niittymäki's injury hurts, but the real problem is that the defence corps just isn't up to par. That said, I expect the winner of the likely Sweden - Finland QF to go all the way to the finals.

Russia is the wildcard, haven't seen enough of them to make up my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->