Line Combos: Early look at the 23-24 Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Name the ones who retire when they have multiple years of multiple millions of dollars on their contract.

He's not retiring.
He's not quitting to be a coach.
I don't think Gally is the type of person who will want to become a highly resented member of the team.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think Gally is the type of person who will want to become a highly resented member of the team.
His teammates and fellow players across the league would resent him more if he weakens the CBA by capitulating to fans or front office to voluntarily void his contract.

If NHL teams want to get more favorable contract buyout conditions then they can collectively bargain for it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
His teammates and fellow players across the league would resent him more if he weakens the CBA by capitulating to fans or front office to voluntarily void his contract.

If NHL teams want to get more favorable contract buyout conditions then they can collectively bargain for it.
No one is going to shame Gally or any other player who is tired of busting his behind to train and realizes he is still unable to play a regular NHL shift.

Besides, the effect on all other players is the opposite of what you are thinking.

The percentage of revenue going to the players as a whole is fixed at 50%. The total $ in the pot do not go down if an overpaid semi-corpse retires. There is just more dollars for everyone else.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think that's something you can do, it would clearly be cap circumvention.

If that would be allowed you'd have quite a number of 'coaches' out there :laugh:

As per the CBA it’s definitely cap circumvention (from the CBA):

Examples of Circumvention. The following is a non-exhaustive list of activities that either constitute a Circumvention under this Article 26 or from which a Circumvention may be inferred:

A Club and a Player, during the Player's active career, agree that upon the Player's retirement, he will receive a sum of money for services to be provided to the Club after retirement.

Reactions: Belial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad