EA Sports Ad "hockeys back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
I can't belive I saw this morning, I can't find the ad on the EA sports site. But it is set up like the slasher film "scream". Women alone answers phone, no one there. Begin to see a "preseasnce" outside her room. She is now a little nervous, Hockey mask starts to be visable outside. Clearly someone is outside watching her in a goalie like mask.

SHe then sees who it is and instead of screaming she sees a Toronto Goalie, smiles and says something like " cool, hockeys' back!" then a montage of the NHL06 game is run.

Hey any pub is cool. The EA site gives some demo of the new game. DANG! lots of moves. Very TB Lightning centered.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
It's a sad statement about the NHL when a video game company can produce a far superior commercial for the game than the league itself can.

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
Pretty amazing that EA, with a whole product line to promote besides NHL '06 can get a "Hockey's Back" ad on national TV before the NHL can, when hockey is their only business.

Claypool_*

I saw it. It was cool. I'm suprised they even advertised it. I never see EA hockey game ads

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Glad to see it and very surprised that EA is beating the NHL to the punch. I was watching a college football game on ESPN, so I was darned glad to see it.

How did the hockey video games sell in the NHL's absence last year?

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hey, whaddya know, it was just on TSN (Ontario, 1:33pm during the CFL game).
Funny, but kinda lame, too. I would not go so far as to say that it is a "far superior commercial for the game than the league itself can (produce)", tho'.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I bet that if things were reversed and EA had done the warrior ad and the NHL had done this one, we'd be hearing complaints about the crappy NHL ad that was just a takeoff of Scream, didn't have a single hockey highlight in it, and wasn't aimed at hardcore fans.

Basically, the NHL can do no right in many fans eyes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
PecaFan said:
I bet that if things were reversed and EA had done the warrior ad and the NHL had done this one, we'd be hearing complaints about the crappy NHL ad that was just a takeoff of Scream, didn't have a single hockey highlight in it, and wasn't aimed at hardcore fans.

And that it's a brilliant parallel of EA to compare hockey to that of ancient warriors, honoring a long time tradition of serving something greater than yourself.

Edit to add: I just hope Martha Burk doesn't see a double entendre of having a woman alone, then suddenly being really happy when a man wearing a mask shows up.

PredsFan77*

The only thing missing is a mysterous penguin in the shot saying 'doobie doobie doo'.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
PecaFan said:

Enough with the persecution complex. The NHL's ad was a poor effort. EA's was much better.

Do you work for the league or something?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
I'd be scared if Ed Belfour was outside my window, especially after a bender.

That ad is freakin' awesome!
Reminds me of after the Wings Cup win in '97 when Vernie was on Leno(or Letterman?) and asked him what good the goalie mask was in the summer....went like this

Vernon...Ummmm
Leno: Terrorize a sorrority?
Vernon: (Laughs)uh, yeah....

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
RangerBoy said:
It helped the commercial that the girl was wearing short shorts and a tight t-shirt :)

It was a dead on ringer for one of the "Scary Movie" starts too!

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Weary said:
Enough with the persecution complex. The NHL's ad was a poor effort. EA's was much better.

Do you always have this much trouble with the concept of "opinions"?

But that aside, its not unusual for companies to have better commercials. The Nike goalie commercials were better than any other hockey related program at the time including at least half the games themselves, for instance...

:D

teamstag

Jun 18, 2005
Spruce Grove
Pointless commercial, IMO. I really doubt if someone came to your place and showed up at your back door with all that stuff on you would say "Hey! Hockeys back!". More like "*** are you doing?".

It was entertaining, but it was stupid :p:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Weary said:

Yeah, I have to agree. Just from an objective viewpoint I think the EA ad is much better. It's not mindblowing or anything, but at least it's fairly humorous and doesn't take itself too seriously. The NHL ad is just ridiculously cheesy and stupid.

RangerBoy said:
It helped the commercial that the girl was wearing short shorts and a tight t-shirt :)
Girl? that actress looks like she's in her mid-thirtees. Dumb comercial. But better than the "Warrior" Nhl spots that Martha Burk hates.

What would have been funny was to have commecials with real NHL players coming back to the rink. Like scene one would be Jeremy Roenick getting the call the hockey's back. He then drive to the local McDonalds drive through and tells Keith Tkachuk who's workin the drive through register that hockey's back. Tkachuk then get's in his suv and drives to the local car wash to get his car washed and to tell Jerome Iginla that hockey's back. He tells Iginla as he is drying Tkachuk's car with a rag. Inginla then gets in his car and heades home, but before he gets there, he stops at a toll both to tell Shane Doan, who's working the toll booth stand.

what do you think??

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
It's funny because it's true...

you know, millionaires taking jobs away from people trying to make a living...

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Machoking2003-04 said:
Girl? that actress looks like she's in her mid-thirtees. Dumb comercial. But better than the "Warrior" Nhl spots that Martha Burk hates.

What would have been funny was to have commecials with real NHL players coming back to the rink. Like scene one would be Jeremy Roenick getting the call the hockey's back. He then drive to the local McDonalds drive through and tells Keith Tkachuk who's workin the drive through register that hockey's back. Tkachuk then get's in his suv and drives to the local car wash to get his car washed and to tell Jerome Iginla that hockey's back. He tells Iginla as he is drying Tkachuk's car with a rag. Inginla then gets in his car and heades home, but before he gets there, he stops at a toll both to tell Shane Doan, who's working the toll booth stand.

what do you think??
That's a great pitch for a commercial. Only thing I'd change is instead of Tkachuk working the McDonald's drive through he could be gorging himself with a super-sized double bacon Big-Mac value meal he shamelessly promotes as the Tkachuker at St. Louis area McDonalds'.

MightyMite

Feb 4, 2005
North of North
Machoking2003-04 said:

what do you think??

Twice as funny if you saw Keith Tkachuk take a few bites from J.R.'s big Mac before handing it to him... :biglaugh:
Sry couldn't resist...

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
AdmiralPred said:
That's a great pitch for a commercial. Only thing I'd change is instead of Tkachuk working the McDonald's drive through he could be gorging himself with a super-sized double bacon Big-Mac value meal he shamelessly promotes as the Tkachuker at St. Louis area McDonalds'.
Please tell me noone buys a burger with the phonetics 'chuck' in the name... I bet he has one of those "free McDonalds for life" cards.. like Happy Gilmore has for Subway. I'd kill for a free-for-life Subway card. Well maybe not kill.. dismember perhaps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->