E3 2018 - Conferences start June 9th - Full Schedule in Post #1

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
There's room for a 4DS.

I guess I don't see the point of a second handheld since Nintendo combined home & mobile in what was, frankly, a stroke of genius. I think splitting the games between the two mostly serves to upset the user base.

I mean, maybe as a smaller, cheaper version of the Switch?

I admit I might just not understand the use case. Despite being a former 3DS owner and enjoying the platform, it's not often I'm playing games on the go. I really only owned it to play the games on my couch, although the mobility did come in handy on a few occasions.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm making my way back through IX for the first time since the original release, and the version available on the PS4 holds up very well (aside from the card game still being terrible) for being a PS1 game.

Part of me would love a remake of VI, but I'd rather just have a port of the SNES version on current hardware (read: Switch) than Squenix give it the Secret of Mana treatment.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I guess I don't see the point of a second handheld since Nintendo combined home & mobile in what was, frankly, a stroke of genius. I think splitting the games between the two mostly serves to upset the user base.

I admit I might just not understand the use case. Despite being a former 3DS owner and enjoying the platform, it's not often I'm playing games on the go. I really only owned it to play the games on my couch, although the mobility did come in handy on a few occasions.
Oh I was being very sarcastic, I actually agree with your point. Just consolidate all their manpower onto one console.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Taken from Reddit, I found this amusing:

lCzH-iqUddHOCJNmk8AjdlVcv2ygF9fsojwgIwDxuEM.png

Reactions: Desdichado30

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm making my way back through IX for the first time since the original release, and the version available on the PS4 holds up very well (aside from the card game still being terrible) for being a PS1 game.

Part of me would love a remake of VI, but I'd rather just have a port of the SNES version on current hardware (read: Switch) than Squenix give it the Secret of Mana treatment.

For some reason 9 fell by the way-side for a lot of people. I'll have to look back and see what other games were released around the same time, this may have factored into it a bit.

I'm a giant Final Fantasy guy, but for some reason I just couldn't get into FF9. I still have it on disc and have a game started with about 25 minutes into the game, but I'm hooked on the FFX HD Remaster right now...

Edit (re: bold) - I didn't realize how short of a time-span that FF8 and FFX were released. FF9 was sandwiched pretty closely between the two of them. (9 was released 17 months after FF8 and only 12 months prior to FFX). FF9 was also over-shadowed by the release of the PS2, I think.

Looking at the release dates of the games and the PS2, FF9 was actually released AFTER the launch of PS2, so looking at this timeline it makes sense as to why it fell out of favor.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
IX came out late in its system's life-cycle, I think a lot of it being 'forgotten' is just that. FFX came out only ~18 months later, but was many more gamers' first Final Fantasy. I'd be interested to see how many people can claim IX as their first in the series, especially in a series where so many people choose their first as their favorite (VII is the answer to both for me).

It's rather crazy remembering just how huge these games were, and how regular they were. VII-X, four very different numbered games released within less than 5 years of each other...and only 3 main series single-player releases since. Damn.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Oh crap, I forgot about Death Stranding. Definitely hoping to see that. I wonder if it'll be a stealth game like MGS, or if Kojima just straight up makes an action/adventure game and skips all the stealth elements. That game is probably at least 2 years away, but seeing some game play to see what it's all about would be really cool.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's Sucker Punch, you should always be interested.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Infamous Second Son....(please don't hurt me).

That said, the Ghost of Tsushima trailer piqued my interest. I'd love to see more of that. I had almost forgotten about it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

There is definitely a spot for a smaller cheaper handheld then the Switch.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was just announced for a 2021 release. It's probably overly optimistic but here's hoping for a teaser trailer at E3.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Looking forward to hearing more about the next Forza Horizon.

Haven't been paying enough attention to know about anything else.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Infamous Second Son....(please don't hurt me).

That said, the Ghost of Tsushima trailer piqued my interest. I'd love to see more of that. I had almost forgotten about it.
The game play was alright but holy cow were the visuals grating. If your camera was even slightly in the direction of the sun some of the most blindingly distracting effects came on screen. It wasn't even your run of the mill crappy lens flair, the whole environment would just turn dark black

ps4-hi-res-infamous-second-son-screenshots-mar1504.jpg

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
IX came out late in its system's life-cycle, I think a lot of it being 'forgotten' is just that. FFX came out only ~18 months later, but was many more gamers' first Final Fantasy. I'd be interested to see how many people can claim IX as their first in the series, especially in a series where so many people choose their first as their favorite (VII is the answer to both for me).

It's rather crazy remembering just how huge these games were, and how regular they were. VII-X, four very different numbered games released within less than 5 years of each other...and only 3 main series single-player releases since. Damn.

Man, I agree. I didn't think much of it back in the day as a youngster, but looking back and seeing the rapid succession that these games were released is nuts! Especially given how long we have to wait for AAA titles these days, like you said.

For the record, VII is also the answer to both for me... I'm currently playing through the FFX HD Re-master for the first time and loving it.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Breath of the Wild 2 and Elder Scrolls 6 news, please.

..... what? I never said that I had realistic hopes.
Elder Scrolls 6 might not be too far fetched I think.
They stated about a year or two ago that it was in development, although they were in the very very early stages of it.
I could see a possible teaser trailer if anything this year.
Bethesda is suppose to have their longest conference so far this year of any year they've had their own floor time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Elder Scrolls 6 might not be too far fetched I think.
They stated about a year or two ago that it was in development, although they were in the very very early stages of it.
I could see a possible teaser trailer if anything this year.
Bethesda is suppose to have their longest conference so far this year of any year they've had their own floor time.

If Bethesda's conference just ends with an image on screen saying Elsweyr or High Rock or Black Marsh and nothing else, I'll still lose it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
TES6 would be amazing.

I remember Tod Howard saying something along the lines of "we're not going to make TES6 until we have a great idea for that game, and we don't have one right now".

Skyrim was such a massive commercial success for them that I hope they really mean that and don't just try to make Skyrim 2. I want to see them really innovate here and modernize aspects of their games that just aren't good enough these days, like their dialogue, storytelling and constant loading screens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->