E3 2018 - Conferences start June 9th - Full Schedule in Post #1

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL
IX came out late in its system's life-cycle, I think a lot of it being 'forgotten' is just that. FFX came out only ~18 months later, but was many more gamers' first Final Fantasy. I'd be interested to see how many people can claim IX as their first in the series, especially in a series where so many people choose their first as their favorite (VII is the answer to both for me).

It's rather crazy remembering just how huge these games were, and how regular they were. VII-X, four very different numbered games released within less than 5 years of each other...and only 3 main series single-player releases since. Damn.

While not really related to e3, myself and my brothers first ff game was indeed ff9 and probably as a result is one of our favorite of the series. Did play 7 and 8 afterward and then 10, but have the best memories of 9.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I remember Tod Howard saying something along the lines of "we're not going to make TES6 until we have a great idea for that game, and we don't have one right now".

Skyrim was such a massive commercial success for them that I hope they really mean that and don't just try to make Skyrim 2. I want to see them really innovate here and modernize aspects of their games that just aren't good enough these days, like their dialogue, storytelling and constant loading screens.
That wasn't what was said. They said they know what they wanna do, they just have to wait for technology to catch up to be able to do what they want. He said they have two new games they're working on before they worry about ES6

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
While not really related to e3, myself and my brothers first ff game was indeed ff9 and probably as a result is one of our favorite of the series. Did play 7 and 8 afterward and then 10, but have the best memories of 9.
That's interesting. I've only met one other person who lists 9 as their favorite, and coincidentally, it was their first as well.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've had ESO for a long while and the only time I played it was when it was in beta and that barely worked :laugh:.

I also haven't played since then.

I HATED the beta. Whoever thought designing an MMO that actively discourages grouping up for quests was a good idea should have been fired.

I'm sure it's much improved now, but I think my MMO phase is over.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I don't think that it's that uncommon of an opinion, actually. Most people who've played most of them place IX pretty highly.
Yeah, it just seems to get swept under the rug a lot it seems. I thoroughly enjoy that they went back to the medieval-type of setting rather than the futuristic VII and VIII.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it just seems to get swept under the rug a lot it seems. I thoroughly enjoy that they went back to the medieval-type of setting rather than the futuristic VII and VIII.
Yeah, I think that anything good that gets released at the tail end of a console's lifecycle tends to end up that way.

I think it's the last great FF, personally.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Set in Japan apparently, or that’s the rumor. I’m not a racing game guy but if it ends up being Japan I’ll get it.

I’ve also heard rumours about the UK. I don’t really care, as long as the map has a few more hills. It’s the perfect racing game if you’re not a racing game guy.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yeah, I think that anything good that gets released at the tail end of a console's lifecycle tends to end up that way.

You weren't a fan of FFX? I find that one to be the last great FF. Nothing after that even comes close for me. The other games don't even feel like Final Fantasy to me, it's odd. lol.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
IX came out late in its system's life-cycle, I think a lot of it being 'forgotten' is just that. FFX came out only ~18 months later, but was many more gamers' first Final Fantasy. I'd be interested to see how many people can claim IX as their first in the series, especially in a series where so many people choose their first as their favorite (VII is the answer to both for me).

It's rather crazy remembering just how huge these games were, and how regular they were. VII-X, four very different numbered games released within less than 5 years of each other...and only 3 main series single-player releases since. Damn.

I can honestly say I have never really thought about it that way. I didn't play XII or XIII when they first came out, XII I played after the remaster. I went from playing X and not playing another one until XV, 16? 17? years later. I still haven't played XIII but I do think XII and XV are good games and XII is much closer to what you would expect from a Final Fantasy game. I feel like somewhere after X, they did lose the formula for Final Fantasy.

XV was cool. It was innovative. It was pretty. I just don't know if it was Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I want games to look nice. No one wants to play a game that looks like shit. I just think the push for absolute graphical perfection comes at the expense of the most important parts of the game, dialogue, story, battle mechanics. The last FF game I played that had more than 2 of the 4 was X. I thought the story, battle mechanics and graphics were great. Dialogue/voice acting... ehh.

All that to say... maybe by redoing VII they will do more than just hit us all right in the nostalgia feels. Maybe they can recapture the FF magic that they had for so many years. I'm doubtful we see anything at E3 for the VII remake but I would be surprised if the Final Fantasy series didn't make some kind of splash at the show.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You weren't a fan of FFX? I find that one to be the last great FF. Nothing after that even comes close for me. The other games don't even feel like Final Fantasy to me, it's odd. lol.
It's fine, but I would put each of IV-IX ahead of it pretty easily. (although I flip flop back and forth on VIII being good or bad)

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
VIII is good and it should be the one they're remaking. Its designs were ahead of its time and that was to its detriment on the PS1. Just make it look next gen and do something to streamline the draw/junction system and you're good.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

I don't think that it's that uncommon of an opinion, actually. Most people who've played most of them place IX pretty highly.

I can honestly say I have never really thought about it that way. I didn't play XII or XIII when they first came out, XII I played after the remaster. I went from playing X and not playing another one until XV, 16? 17? years later. I still haven't played XIII but I do think XII and XV are good games and XII is much closer to what you would expect from a Final Fantasy game. I feel like somewhere after X, they did lose the formula for Final Fantasy.

XV was cool. It was innovative. It was pretty. I just don't know if it was Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I want games to look nice. No one wants to play a game that looks like ****. I just think the push for absolute graphical perfection comes at the expense of the most important parts of the game, dialogue, story, battle mechanics. The last FF game I played that had more than 2 of the 4 was X. I thought the story, battle mechanics and graphics were great. Dialogue/voice acting... ehh.

All that to say... maybe by redoing VII they will do more than just hit us all right in the nostalgia feels. Maybe they can recapture the FF magic that they had for so many years. I'm doubtful we see anything at E3 for the VII remake but I would be surprised if the Final Fantasy series didn't make some kind of splash at the show.

VIII is good and it should be the one they're remaking. Its designs were ahead of its time and that was to its detriment on the PS1. Just make it look next gen and do something to streamline the draw/junction system and you're good.

I've started a general FF thread in the board so we can continue this discussion without clogging up the E3 thread :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've started a general FF thread in the board so we can continue this discussion without clogging up the E3 thread :)

Yeah, take your silly Anal Fantasy talk elsewhere! I do have a question about it, but I'll put it in the new thread so that you can rip me to shreds in the proper venue :).

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I'll be disappointed if I don't see one of Borderlands 3 or Skate 4. Not expecting to see Skate but I just hope I'll see it one of these years. Seeing RD2 gameplay will be cool though.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Bethesda saying they're going to have a shorter press conference this time.

E3 is looking pretty uneventful. Guess we were due for a down year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

With the advent of the internet and social media you can drop news whenever and people will find it. E3 feels more like a contest for the biggest... well, you know.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Doesn’t mean it will be uneventful as They are probably going to show Starfield (or whatever it will be called). I would not be shocked if there was another “big” game as well.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
With the advent of the internet and social media you can drop news whenever and people will find it. E3 feels more like a contest for the biggest... well, you know.
I mean, it's also by far the best way to advertise, get eyes on your brand/product, and generate hype/word of mouth. The advent of the internet and social media doesn't make that redundant.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean, it's also by far the best way to advertise, get eyes on your brand/product, and generate hype/word of mouth. The advent of the internet and social media doesn't make that redundant.
It's not redundant but it's also not as much of a spectacle. I think that's part of the reason Nintendo pulled out from doing a live show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->