Value of: E. Kane next contract

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I said "like" 4-1...3-0 and 4-1 have the same goal differential so my point still stands.
I get that players are competitive in nature and want to score goals, and maybe he wanted to ruin Price's shutout, I don't know. But most players would have been more reasonable in that situation involving a meaningless goal.

The Sabres had been shut out in like 3 consecutive games, what exactly is the reasonable response for a professional athlete in that situation?

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I think he is a guy who likes winning and when he's on a poor team, his attitude isn't that of a "team player". I'd rather have a guy like Kane who wants to win, than the "character veterans" the Ducks routinely ice who think the playoffs are exhibition games.

I don't care what he's doing in his spare time as a young guy in vegas, so long as on the ice he brings it (which no one or any reports debate his work ethic).

Look what a team full of work ethic can accomplish - Vegas.

I'm certain he will re-sign with San Jose.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Actually, my starting argument was him having a good season in a contract year. That is usually the tell tale sign of a player caring more about money.

He's been pretty much at his average, and didn't start scoring until, surprise surprise, he got away from a dreadful Sabres team.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That is a ridiculous bar to set. Coaches never openly call out players over matters of this nature. Heck, Shanahan banged Janney’s wife and the Blues coaches were mum about it. It just doesn’t happen to players in hockey but I am of good mind that is the reason why you set the bar that high.

You know what happens to cancers in the locker room ? They get traded around when that player would more of an asset on the team than being traded. Bingo...that’s Evander Kane.

Hey Winnipeg fans, how was Kanes work ethic? Even his biggest haters in Buffalo and Winnipeg have never doubted that he leaves it all on the ice. The only people I've ever seen call him lazy were those who didn't watch him often. He has been described in a lot of unflattering terms, but never lazy or that he didn't try.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Actually, my starting argument was him having a good season in a contract year. That is usually the tell tale sign of a player caring more about money.
you think GMs are dumb enough to not look at the non-contract years prior to dishing out $30+ million for a guy?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Winnipeg fans, how was Kanes work ethic? Even his biggest haters in Buffalo and Winnipeg have never doubted that he leaves it all on the ice. The only people I've ever seen call him lazy were those who didn't watch him often. He has been described in a lot of unflattering terms, but never lazy or that he didn't try.
his on-ice work ethic was never in question. in fact, some people thought he should tone it down a bit on the ice because sometimes he went a bit to hard and it led to some injuries to himself

Reactions: sansabri

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He strikes you as someone who is chasing the money because

He posted a picture of himself holding money over 5 years ago...
He is scoring at less than a tenth of a point per game more than last season
He was unhappy his goal got waived off

That is nothing.

His last contract year was 0.77 PPG. This contract year is 0.69 PPG with a PPG in the playoffs so far.
Most of his recent seasons have averaged between 0.55 PPG - 0.61 PPG.

There is nothing wrong with having your best seasons in your contract years. It is a red flag for consistency at that level of play though, as it seems likely his play will drop off a bit. That is a consideration for a thread about assessing Evander Kane's value, so people should stop taking so much offence to it.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
his on-ice work ethic was never in question. in fact, some people thought he should tone it down a bit on the ice because sometimes he went a bit to hard and it led to some injuries to himself

His PIMs also took a good drop from that.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

I agree that wasn’t really my point though, even if Kane was considered lazy by coaches, those coaches would never publicly say that to the press or anyone else on the record. I was commenting on San’s ridiculous bar he set, one that is unobtainable.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
His last contract year was 0.77 PPG. This contract year is 0.69 PPG with a PPG in the playoffs so far.
Most of his recent seasons have averaged between 0.55 PPG - 0.61 PPG.

There is nothing wrong with having your best seasons in your contract years. It is a red flag for consistency at that level of play though, as it seems likely his play will drop off a bit. That is a consideration for a thread about assessing Evander Kane's value, so people should stop taking so much offence to it.

Im not taking offense at the notion of a guy playing his best seasons in contract years, but you have so little to go on to suggest that for Kane. He has only had 2 contract years. His 0.77 ppg year was the last of his ELC which was an improvement over the previous year which was also an improvement over the rookie year. That is what you expect to see from players on their ELC, a consistent improvement. So now we have this year, his only other contract year to look at. His career ppg is about 0.61. Last season, he put up a ppg of about 0.61. This season in a contract year while in Buffalo was putting up about 0.65. Hardly above his average. Of course he scored at a higher rate once he got to a better team. Just not much of anything to go on.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kane seems like the average NHL punk, to me. It's a childish game played by people who chose meaningless careers. It's telling that they are mostly from hockey families. Normal folk do not dedicate their entire lives to the pageantry of temporary distraction. So, a hockey player that's selfish and idiotic? Duh, they all are. This is why there is such an effort put into public relations. It's lipstick for swine. Donating a few hours to charity distracts people from the giant sense of entitlement these clowns walk around with every day. None of these Emperors are clothed.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Whatever the contract is, can't wait to see how quickly his production falls back down to earth. Like every other season in his career when it's not a contract year

If scoring 28 goals in 70 games on a god awful Buffalo Sabres team, or 17 goals in 48 games on a weak Winnipeg Jets team is "down to earth", I'm plenty fine with adding that player.

For me, Kane's biggest issue is injuries. Attitude problems or not, his personality clearly fits very well with this team, and I don't think he will create any issues. I just worry about him getting hurt. He has already been injured as a Shark; he took a few games off, came back, and he hasn't quite looked like the same player since. He's still great though.

He's on a playoff team that made the SCF 2 years ago and they just swept a team in the 1st round with him as the top line LW. In my opinion, that says a lot more than whatever happened in the mess of an organization that was Buffalo, or Winnipeg, which probably wasn't much better. His attitude problems are done. Guys like Pavelski, Burns, and Thornton love him. I couldn't care less what the 2014 Jets or the 2017 Sabres say about him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If scoring 28 goals in 70 games on a god awful Buffalo Sabres team, or 17 goals in 48 games on a weak Winnipeg Jets team is "down to earth", I'm plenty fine with adding that player.

For me, Kane's biggest issue is injuries. Attitude problems or not, his personality clearly fits very well with this team, and I don't think he will create any issues. I just worry about him getting hurt. He has already been injured as a Shark; he took a few games off, came back, and he hasn't quite looked like the same player since. He's still great though.

He's on a playoff team that made the SCF 2 years ago and they just swept a team in the 1st round with him as the top line LW. In my opinion, that says a lot more than whatever happened in the mess of an organization that was Buffalo, or Winnipeg, which probably wasn't much better. His attitude problems are done. Guys like Pavelski, Burns, and Thornton love him. I couldn't care less what the 2014 Jets or the 2017 Sabres say about him.
You clearly didn't read or interpret my quote right. He is in a contract year right now. Next year would be his come back down to earth year. His production when he isn't playing for his next contract is really not good at all for the money he earns. Look at his numbers for every season he isn't a pending FA of some sort.

Buyer beware written all over him

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jim's going to have to up his game to get him to Vancouver. A $20 on a string won't cut it now.

Nqlx5emSYKqCatNNuI1E_05.gif

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
You clearly didn't read or interpret my quote right. He is in a contract year right now. Next year would be his come back down to earth year. His production when he isn't playing for his next contract is really not good at all for the money he earns. Look at his numbers for every season he isn't a pending FA of some sort.

Buyer beware written all over him

The person you are quoting are referencing his stats in non contract years...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

He didn't have attitude issues with Sabres... he does some dumb stuff off the ice and he may even be an ass hole but I don't care ... I'd take him back on Sabres in a heartbeat if it weren't for the contract he is going to get.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Commonly discussed topic, but E. Kane has potentially increased his value again by showing he can bring it in the playoffs (small sample, I know). Character issues aside, he meshed amazingly well in San Jose and was solid enough for the terrible team of Buffalo.
It might make sense for San Jose to re-sign him, if he likes it there - Buffalo would appreciate this outcome as their 2nd becomes a 1st. I expect some team to give him a big term though, which some may be hesitant to do. It'll be interesting to see this next contract. I doubt he'd want to sign with another bottom-feeder.
I think he's making what he likely should be. Giving him a raise is a dangerous move imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->