Value of: E. Kane next contract

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Commonly discussed topic, but E. Kane has potentially increased his value again by showing he can bring it in the playoffs (small sample, I know). Character issues aside, he meshed amazingly well in San Jose and was solid enough for the terrible team of Buffalo.
It might make sense for San Jose to re-sign him, if he likes it there - Buffalo would appreciate this outcome as their 2nd becomes a 1st. I expect some team to give him a big term though, which some may be hesitant to do. It'll be interesting to see this next contract. I doubt he'd want to sign with another bottom-feeder.
Hope Leafs take run at him, great for playoffs

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
curious to see JVRs contract vs Kanes next yea

For a contending team (like the leafs) I would take Kane over JVR...same money/term

for a team like Devils (no offence) I would take JVR because he is prolly the better regular season player

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’d imagine with the success he’s had with San Jose that San Jose is likely looking to resign him.

What’s he worth as a UFA?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Kane strikes me as someone who is chasing the money - i.e. he's having a great season in a contract year that he will not be able to replicate until his next contract year.

Whatever team that signs him will be displeased within the first few years. He'll get overpaid. He'll be an issue in the locker room with other players. He may or may not get into hot water with the media and legal issues. Just not worth the overpayment it will take with all the baggage he comes with.

Reactions: SR

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Kane strikes me as someone who is chasing the money - i.e. he's having a great season in a contract year that he will not be able to replicate until his next contract year.

Whatever team that signs him will be displeased within the first few years. He'll get overpaid. He'll be an issue in the locker room with other players. He may or may not get into hot water with the media and legal issues. Just not worth the overpayment it will take with all the baggage he comes with.

This 100%

I hope the Canucks stay away.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This 100%

I hope the Canucks stay away.

Same here.

To back up my point about Kane chasing the money (outside of the infamous Vegas pictures) - I recall watching a game earlier in this season. Buffalo was playing Montreal and Buffalo was down like 4-1 with only a minute left in the game. Kane scored a meaningless goal, given that Buffalo wasn't going to come back with that goal deficit and the little time left in the game. The goal was overturned because of an off-side or something. Kane has a hissy fit on the ice and starts making a scene and complaining to the refs right away. This is strange since most players would not care that a meaningless goal was waved off. But not Kane. And then I wondered what would cause a player to care so much about a meaningless goal? Oh yeah, because he's concerned about his goal/point totals in his contract year to help him negotiate more money. He's just chasing the dollar.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

What are you basing this on exactly?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah I get that feeling too.

The one silver lining of Ladd's awful contract is that it pretty much eliminates any chance of us overpaying for Kane.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
love the player, wouldn't trust him long term. his play warrants imo 6-6.5 AAV but the term gets dicey

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Same here.

To back up my point about Kane chasing the money (outside of the infamous Vegas pictures) - I recall watching a game earlier in this season. Buffalo was playing Montreal and Buffalo was down like 4-1 with only a minute left in the game. Kane scored a meaningless goal, given that Buffalo wasn't going to come back with that goal deficit and the little time left in the game. The goal was overturned because of an off-side or something. Kane has a hissy fit on the ice and starts making a scene and complaining to the refs right away. This is strange since most players would not care that a meaningless goal was waved off. But not Kane. And then I wondered what would cause a player to care so much about a meaningless goal? Oh yeah, because he's concerned about his goal/point totals in his contract year to help him negotiate more money. He's just chasing the dollar.

That's a bit of a leap, I think. :laugh:

I don't think any player likes when his goal is waved off. I'd say it's more likely Kane wanted Buffalo to at least show SOME fight.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not as if Kane isn't a player who contributes when it's not a contract year. 20 goal scorers will have value regardless. He'll probably get 5 years, 30 million somewhere either in San Jose or Vegas or LA or Anaheim as all of them could use his skills. And a team that gives him a chance to win will probably keep him motivated. Losing wears on people and sometimes chasing the money is what you have to do in order to keep focused on playing for a losing hockey club.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
There's a pretty big difference in not wanting a player because of how he acts off the ice and not wanting him because he's only having a good year so he can cash-in. He's always been good at hockey.
Yes hes always been good at hockey

Hes also always caused problems. And been a "me first" kind of player as well.

Hes fit in well with the leadership group in San Jose. He should stay there really.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuniorNelson

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Same here.

He's always given 110% on the ice. I remember that game, and it wasn't a 4-1 score, it was 3-0 in Prices return to the lineup. He lost the goal due to a challenge that had no point being made except to give Price a shutout in his return. It was a bad decision, and Kane was rightfully pissed. Would you rather a player give up and not bother trying to score when a game seems out of reach?

This narrative is so damn old. Panik got charged with trespassing, same as Kane, just a couple days ago and no one really had anything but jokes off his name to say. When Kane does it's the biggest story in hockey. The kid busts his ass in a losing effort and hes being greedy/just wants to pad his stats. He has an open look at an empty net and passes it to Reinhart, so he gets a hat trick, and he's just trying to fix his image in Winnipeg. The dude can do absolutely nothing right to some people, and we all know why, but everyone's supposed to keep quiet and ignore the big black elephant in the room. Get real.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He's always given 110% on the ice. I remember that game, and it wasn't a 4-1 score, it was 3-0 in Prices return to the lineup. He lost the goal due to a challenge that had no point being made except to give Price a shutout in his return. It was a bad decision, and Kane was rightfully pissed. Would you rather a player give up and not bother trying to score when a game seems out of reach?

This narrative is so damn old. Panik got charged with trespassing, same as Kane, just a couple days ago and no one really had anything but jokes off his name to say. When Kane does it's the biggest story in hockey. The kid busts his ass in a losing effort and hes being greedy/just wants to pad his stats. He has an open look at an empty net and passes it to Reinhart, so he gets a hat trick, and he's just trying to fix his image in Winnipeg. The dude can do absolutely nothing right to some people, and we all know why, but everyone's supposed to keep quiet and ignore the big black elephant in the room. Get real.

I said "like" 4-1...3-0 and 4-1 have the same goal differential so my point still stands.
I get that players are competitive in nature and want to score goals, and maybe he wanted to ruin Price's shutout, I don't know. But most players would have been more reasonable in that situation involving a meaningless goal.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
The pictures of him with money.
Having his best seasons in contract years.
And that story that I mentioned in a post above.

He strikes you as someone who is chasing the money because

He posted a picture of himself holding money over 5 years ago...
He is scoring at less than a tenth of a point per game more than last season
He was unhappy his goal got waived off

That is nothing.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That is a giant inference to make. Why are you dragging race into this?
I just mentioned the money pictures because we were on the topic about him caring about money. I also brought up other examples as well.

I will bookmark this page to bump in 2-3 years when Kane's play drops off and his linemates take issue with him. This isn't a racial thing - this is based on what has happened with him in the past.

Does this image give the same visceral response?

Men_Money_Dollars_Fingers_White_background_Glance_530533_1280x853.jpg

Reactions: HydroF

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
That is a giant inference to make. Why are you dragging race into this?
I just mentioned the money pictures because we were on the topic about him caring about money. I also brought up other examples as well.

I will bookmark this page to bump in 2-3 years when Kane's play drops off and his linemates take issue with him. This isn't a racial thing - this is based on what has happened with him in the past.

No no no. You didn't just mention them; that was your starting argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad