Value of: E. Kane next contract

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Commonly discussed topic, but E. Kane has potentially increased his value again by showing he can bring it in the playoffs (small sample, I know). Character issues aside, he meshed amazingly well in San Jose and was solid enough for the terrible team of Buffalo.
It might make sense for San Jose to re-sign him, if he likes it there - Buffalo would appreciate this outcome as their 2nd becomes a 1st. I expect some team to give him a big term though, which some may be hesitant to do. It'll be interesting to see this next contract. I doubt he'd want to sign with another bottom-feeder.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Based on the lack of interest from the rest of the league and the cheap acquisition price that SJ paid for him, I don't think many team will be willing to fork over anything above 6.5 per unless he wins the Conn Smythe. Combine that with how he seems to be meshing with his teammates in SJ and them having voiced wanting this to not be just a rental, I don't see him going anywhere else.

But who knows, maybe Vegas or Vancouver comes calling with a hefty contract. In that case it gets real interesting

paragon

May 5, 2010
Well he doesn't really deserve more than 6.5 because he has never even hit 60 points. I don't think anyone is going to give him a long term.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
3 years @ 6.25m per

Don't think anyone will give him log term. But this would take him until he is only 29. IF he stays relatively healthy and out of trouble for a few years while producing well, MAYBE he can cash in on one last big contract at 29.

Hoping he re-signs in San Jose for obvious reasons...but I also truly don't believe there is a better fit for him anywhere else.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Rumor has it he is cancer in the locker room. As a Canes fan I could care less about that if he hit people consistently and scored often.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Whatever the contract is, can't wait to see how quickly his production falls back down to earth. Like every other season in his career when it's not a contract year

Reactions: Flyerfan52

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well he doesn't really deserve more than 6.5 because he has never even hit 60 points. I don't think anyone is going to give him a long term.

Guess it depends on what your definition of Term is. I'd say right now, I wouldn't give more more than 4 years max. But, I could see a team doing 5 years. If a team is really desperate, I could see them going to 6 years, but the cap hit might be less than a 4 year deal, but it would give Kane the security of the additional 2 years along with around $10 million more in salary.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Guess it depends on what your definition of Term is. I'd say right now, I wouldn't give more more than 4 years max. But, I could see a team doing 5 years. If a team is really desperate, I could see them going to 6 years, but the cap hit might be less than a 4 year deal, but it would give Kane the security of the additional 2 years along with around $10 million more in salary.
Well my definition is. 1-2-3 short, 4-5 medium, 6-7-8 long. I would be surprised if Wilson gave Kane of all people a long term considering he usually signs his players to shorter deals. None of his forwards are signed beyong 19-20. Not even Couture and Pavelski got more than 5 years and Thornton and Marleau never signed long deals in San Jose. Wilson has been doing great so far, so I don't think he will screw it now with Kane.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
I get that he may not have been the best locker room buddy but I believe he needed a placr that could understand him...just like Kessel..Kane is amazing and will defend any teammate at any moment. Love this guy. We need him in Toronto

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The guy is gonna get PAID. Good for him.

Rumor has it he is cancer in the locker room. As a Canes fan I could care less about that if he hit people consistently and scored often.

I see this perpetuated everywhere, but does anyone have a source? He's got a bit of an ego, but are there reported events about him being a negative influence in the locker room?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The guy is gonna get PAID. Good for him.

I see this perpetuated everywhere, but does anyone have a source? He's got a bit of an ego, but are there reported events about him being a negative influence in the locker room?

He was an issue in Winnipeg but he clearly wanted out of here ASAP.

That being said, if he finds a team he likes in a city he likes, he'll be fine.

In the right spot, he can thrive and become a great player. He just needs people who can pass the puck well and not make him the primary focus of any line. Looks like he's found exactly that in San Jose.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
He’ll probably jus re-sign with SJ. Good competitive team, nice weather. Lots of extra curricular activities in the area. Solid chance he calls it home

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If he hits FA hope the Avs make a serious run at him. He'd check several boxes the club needs. I could see him getting a 5 year deal at around 6 million.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I hope so. Seems like he's been a great fit there, and I'd sure like to see Buffalo get a 1st out of that deal.
I feel like this is going to be one of the trades where both teams win. O’Regan wasn’t ever going to fit here and a 1st is a small price to pay for top 6 winger.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Going to get more then 5 x $6m. He's getting paid this summer after a redeeming finish to the season with San Jose.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well my definition is. 1-2-3 short, 4-5 medium, 6-7-8 long. I would be surprised if Wilson gave Kane of all people a long term considering he usually signs his players to shorter deals. None of his forwards are signed beyong 19-20. Not even Couture and Pavelski got more than 5 years and Thornton and Marleau never signed long deals in San Jose. Wilson has been doing great so far, so I don't think he will screw it now with Kane.
Wilson's last 2 big signings were Burns for 8 years and Vlasic for 7 years.

Window for the Sharks is the next 3 years. Pavelski and Burns are both from the 2003 draft so they will be at least 33 this year. Vlasic taken in 2004, so he's 32. Couture is 29 this year. That's their core. So, a 2019 1st isn't going to help his group.

For Kane, I think he's finally in a place where he can escape the rink and enjoy the lifestyle he wants to live and not have people bother him about it. He should keep that in mind during free agency.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If we can get him signed for $6m/5 years or $6.5-7m/4 years, I'd be content. Ideally less, but that's asking a lot. He's been excellent so far.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don’t think this is a rumor anymore...
They seem to really like him over there though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad