Dynasties in new NHL

Kolzig37

Jun 8, 2006
With the salary cap how long will teams like Carolina and Buffalo be good? In the old NHL teams like New Jersey, Detroit, Dallas, Philly and Colorado were contenders for years. With the cap how long will GMs be able to keep their teams together? Will Carolina be a contender for years or even next year? I hope Buffalo and Carolina can become a rivaly for years like Detroit and Colorado.

(Sorry about my english)

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
I think the teams that will be dynasties in the New NHL have smart GMs who creates a team using a combination of good scouting, good free agent signings, and smart salary dumping. Good example: New England Patriots.

Ideal team: half veteran, half youth. Has the energy to go through a playoff run, but the experience of veterans to lead the way. Too many veterans will fizzle in the playoffs, as well as have a burden on a salary cap, but too much youth isn't a good thing, as well. You can't have a bunch of rookies running around in the playoffs, like San Jose or Buffalo, since they don't have the experience (this was their downfall, IMO). Half veteran, half youth is ideal, best of both worlds. Example : Carolina Hurricanes.

Last edited:

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I agree. Doing both is even more important now. Hockey isn't a game where you can win with only a few really good players. They may help a lot, but you can't win that way, the game just isn't built for it. I think most agree Tampa has put themselves in a precarious situation with three big contracts.

Keeping a great team together like the 80's Oilers, 90's Pens etc. is going to be impossible. A team like Buffalo filled with many good and above average players is going to have a hard time keeping themselves together.

I am dreading the day, and I have no doubt that it will come, the Pens are going to have to choose between keeping Crosby or Malkin.

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
Real dynasties aren't possible in a league of 30 teams. If you're simply just referring to maintaining a perennial competitor's status, then it's going to be more heavily dependent on youth development than it has in a long long time.

Kolzig37

Jun 8, 2006
Well i guess i don't really mean dynasties but teams like Detroit, New Jersey or COlorado

Kolzig37

Jun 8, 2006
Raider Zero said:
I am dreading the day, and I have no doubt that it will come, the Pens are going to have to choose between keeping Crosby or Malkin.

Thats what I don't want to happen. If Crosby and Malkin win a cup or two and then Malkin and some other good players left and it was just Crosby. Then the Pens wouldn't even be a contender to defend their cup. Kind of like if in 1997 Colorado lost Forerberg, Kemensky and Foote and ended up in 8th and not even a contender instead of winning the PResidents and going to the CFs.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
I am dreading the day, and I have no doubt that it will come, the Pens are going to have to choose between keeping Crosby or Malkin
The Pens CAN keep both Crosby and Malkin. There are max contracts. That means they would take out 40% of the cap together. It's not like some team is going to offer them $200 million over 8 years. The Lightning have Richards & Lecavalier. The Canes will have Ward & Staal. The cap isn't going to do what so many apparently think it will. You can keep 2 star players on your team.

As far as the Pens are concerned. Players like Fleury, Whitney, #2 overall this year, and 1st rounder next year(probable top 10) will be traded or gone in UFA at the expense of keeping Crosby & Malkin. It's certainly possible that both Crosby & Malkin play their entire careers in Pittsburgh. Now I'm not saying that it would be wise for Pitt to do this, but IT IS POSSIBLE. Especially considering the cap will go up steadily.

The NHL draft will be as important as the NFL draft. Player development will be the most important part of any organization that experiences long-term success.

Personally, I think the Pens have the foundation for a Dynasty right now. They must draft well and develop players right but they certainly have the pieces in place. If Crosby & Malkin are as good as projected then I think they will be a Dynasty.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Zeus6754 said:
The Pens CAN keep both Crosby and Malkin. There are max contracts. That means they would take out 40% of the cap together. It's not like some team is going to offer them $200 million over 8 years. The Lightning have Richards & Lecavalier. The Canes will have Ward & Staal. The cap isn't going to do what so many apparently think it will. You can keep 2 star players on your team.

As far as the Pens are concerned. Players like Fleury, Whitney, #2 overall this year, and 1st rounder next year(probable top 10) will be traded or gone in UFA at the expense of keeping Crosby & Malkin. It's certainly possible that both Crosby & Malkin play their entire careers in Pittsburgh. Now I'm not saying that it would be wise for Pitt to do this, but IT IS POSSIBLE. Especially considering the cap will go up steadily.

The NHL draft will be as important as the NFL draft. Player development will be the most important part of any organization that experiences long-term success.

Personally, I think the Pens have the foundation for a Dynasty right now. They must draft well and develop players right but they certainly have the pieces in place. If Crosby & Malkin are as good as projected then I think they will be a Dynasty.

I'm not really refering to the fact that financially it can't be done, but the fact at what point will it no longer be logical to keep them both at max contracts? (hypothetically speaking of course). The more you give to one player, the less you have to build things up around him. Sure, the Pens could have Crosby and Malkin, but if you have only average wings, d-men and goalie, how good are they going to really be?

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
Zeus6754 said:

I think this is stupid. If it isn't wise, as you said, then it really isn't possible, since the goal of a franchise is to win games. And I don't think it's just those two players that make the Pens look promising anyway. It's all the other ones like Whitney and Fleury who make the TEAM look promising.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In a league of salary caps and parity and young UFA ages, there will be no more dynasties. Teams will win the cup one year, and get knocked out in the first round the next.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Stephen said:
In a league of salary caps and parity and young UFA ages, there will be no more dynasties. Teams will win the cup one year, and get knocked out in the first round the next.

No, if GM's are smart, they can create competitive teams every year. They just need good young talents and key pieces of the core, like the New England Patriots, with Tom Brady and other pieces. It can be accomplished, but it's difficult.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
Raider Zero said:
I'm not really refering to the fact that financially it can't be done, but the fact at what point will it no longer be logical to keep them both at max contracts? (hypothetically speaking of course). The more you give to one player, the less you have to build things up around him. Sure, the Pens could have Crosby and Malkin, but if you have only average wings, d-men and goalie, how good are they going to really be?
kovy1335 said:
I think this is stupid. If it isn't wise, as you said, then it really isn't possible, since the goal of a franchise is to win games. And I don't think it's just those two players that make the Pens look promising anyway. It's all the other ones like Whitney and Fleury who make the TEAM look promising.

Based on potential & hypothetically speaking

I agree some. It is worth considering how good Crosby & Malkin will be though. Crosby could be the best player in the NHL. Malkin could be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the NHL. If that's how it turns out (and I hope it does)... it won't matter who their wingers are which makes the top 4 wingers expendable. That right there saves lots of $ (like 30% of the cap). Crosby & Malkin could be worth that much to the team.

If Crosby & Malkin reach their full potential then they will both be IRREPLACABLE. Noone else on the team now or in the future will be that important to the team. Only MAF has that much potential(assuming he reaches his absolute peak x2).

And the CBA will certainly change within the next few years. The players got hosed the 1st time and that will only happen once.

As far as the 'other' players that make the team look 'promising'... Without Crosby & Malkin we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There are 15 other teams with better young players and prospects. Hockey is the 1 sport - if there is 1 - where Superstars can make up for lack of EXPERIENCE around them.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
hockydude5000 said:
No, if GM's are smart, they can create competitive teams every year. They just need good young talents and key pieces of the core, like the New England Patriots, with Tom Brady and other pieces. It can be accomplished, but it's difficult.
The Ducks are doing it now. A main part of the team is going to be Getzlaf, Perry, Lupul and Penner next season. Add in Ryan and Smid in a season or two. Young core, who's not going to be UFAs until they've had a good few season together. Sign them to longer contracts past the UFA line. Looks good to me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you haven't noticed, plenty of teams have young cores. You can build a great young core, but everyone seems to have one these days. Teams with young maturing cores include Ottawa, Carolina, San Jose, Buffalo. Florida, Edmonton, Calgary Anaheim, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Minnesota and Nashville all have good young cores. Washington, Pittsburgh boast some scary talent. Columbus has a nice collection of prospects with top end potential. Chicago and St. Louis are at the bottom of the food chain now, but will be in a position to gather up lots of young talent. That's basically half the league, if we consider teams that are young and talented.

This ignores all the teams that are still strong contenders like Philadelphia, Detroit, New Jersey and Dallas who are still strong teams or middle of the road teams like Colorado, Vancouver and the Rangers who can come up and surprise every year.

You can build a great young team, but a dynasty is almost impossible with the kind of parity we're looking at. With the number of good young teams out there, even the best preparations can go to waste if you run into injuries or a cinderella team. The window of opportunity is extremely narrow. Case in point was Ottawa this year. Who knows what will happen to that core?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad