Recalled/Assigned: Dylan Strome Recalled (Recalled again 3/20)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just saw Camper's stat line. Who is this guy and does he have it to be an NHL center?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is the right move. He doesn't need to be up here.
Yes he does, same as Crouse, unless they have no intention of trading these guys and are happy with their progression. If that is their mindset, then I would leave them in Tucson. But I would still dangle that carrot in front of them and give them a few games with the big club. I personally would rather see Strome and Crouse than Hamilton and Archibald. We have Rinaldo where he belongs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just saw Camper's stat line. Who is this guy and does he have it to be an NHL center?
No. He’s both very tiny and not very mobile. Made for the AHL. When have the same body and the same skill as Clayton Keller but the same skating as John Scott, the AHL All-Star Game has a spot for you!

That said, checking CapFriendly, it looks like he’s managed to earn nearly a million dollars so far in his career. That’s really very good for an undrafted guy who hasn’t had to leave North America. Good for him and his family. That’s a hard earned nut, and a rare feat.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes he does, same as Crouse, unless they have no intention of trading these guys and are happy with their progression. If that is their mindset, then I would leave them in Tucson. But I would still dangle that carrot in front of them and give them a few games with the big club. I personally would rather see Strome and Crouse than Hamilton and Archibald. We have Rinaldo where he belongs.
I agree. What’s the point of playing Hamilton and Archibald right now over short auditions for Strome, Crouse, Merkley, etc? I wouldn’t bring them all up at once but now would be a good time to give Strome a look, at least.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
When I saw the roller coaster of this thread/how this situation turned out, I had to chuckle. I do hope he gets a chance to do another audition, though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Much prefer Strome to be part of a long AHL playoff run than playing mostly meaningless NHL games to end the season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Much prefer Strome to be part of a long AHL playoff run than playing mostly meaningless NHL games to end the season.
I think I agree with keeping him in the AHL. If there is an outside chance they trade him, playing well in the AHL will help his value versus bringing him up and having him flop, that would destroy his trade value. Maybe more time and confidence will help him next year either way.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot over these next couple of days as they have an extended home stand. Have him come up for a game or two and skate with the team for a couple games, send him back down with some confidence.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think I agree with keeping him in the AHL. If there is an outside chance they trade him, playing well in the AHL will help his value versus bringing him up and having him flop, that would destroy his trade value. Maybe more time and confidence will help him next year either way.

I think it's been pretty clear that they don't give a damn about trade value even when they've decided to move a player. No team destroys trade value like our Yotes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They might be meaningless games for you, but for management it gives them a glimpse of what kind of progression he has made or not. They would be foolish to not have a look see at Strome and then trade him in the off season, unless they have already made up their mind that he will not be traded at that time and they expect him to make the team next year. In fact, I would alternate bringing up two or three other players to see how they are doing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome's trade value won't change until he plays in the NHL. Other teams want to see what he can or can not do in the NHL, and if we trade Strome before he gets a fair chance to make the Coyotes, it would be the one of the dumbest things this organization could do. I see no harm in bringing Strome up for a look see, but I would definitely make sure he makes back to Tucson for the playoffs.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's been pretty clear that they don't give a damn about trade value even when they've decided to move a player. No team destroys trade value like our Yotes.
I don't think that is true. We as fans might think that at the time, but most times the organization has been right about a player.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I agree. What’s the point of playing Hamilton and Archibald right now over short auditions for Strome, Crouse, Merkley, etc? I wouldn’t bring them all up at once but now would be a good time to give Strome a look, at least.

None of Strome, Crouse, nor Merkley were on the trade deadline roster. Which means:

- The team can exercise up to 4 total recalls of players from Loan between the TDL and end of the regular season.
- Players can be recalled under emergency conditions, and must be immediately returned when the emergency is over.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Strome's trade value won't change until he plays in the NHL. Other teams want to see what he can or can not do in the NHL, and if we trade Strome before he gets a fair chance to make the Coyotes, it would be the one of the dumbest things this organization could do. I see no harm in bringing Strome up for a look see, but I would definitely make sure he makes back to Tucson for the playoffs.
Not entirely true. If Strome can't make the NHL next season, his value will plummet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad